New Owner: Reverse Sensing & AC Questions

New Owner of a 2008 Edge SE - Creme Brulee. So far I'm liking it very much (love is too strong a word this early in the relationship), however I have some nagging questions after my first afternoon driving her around.

1) I have the Reverse Sensing System and I can BARELY hear it. I traded in an F150 Lariat that had the same system, and audible alerts were very audible beeps, that simply went nuts as you got closer (solid tone). As I tested the system on my new Edge, I slowly backed straight in a parking lot (very slowly), when the first beep came, I could barely hear it, not to mention the sound seemed to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, and not the dash. Is this typical? Is this something I should have the dealership look into? Could the volume level of the system be adjusted somewhere?

2) The AC on the driver side is plain dismal. I'm in hot hot NC, and we're in the 90's daily with humidity topping the charts. When you get in the car you want that air blowing directly on your face. I can't seem to get the driver vents to hit me at all? Not to mention the strength of the airflow on high doesn't seem to compare to the passenger side vents. I saw an earlier post on this, but only one person seemed to agree with the poster. Certainly there are some owners on this board living in the hot states that could vouch that this is indeed a 'feature' of the Edge versus an anomaly.

Any help on these 2 issues would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know if I should be hitting up my dealer on these issues.

Edited by cbEdge

The RSS does come from the rear of the car but I dont ever remember it being to low? I dont think you can mess with the volume. As for the AC I can get the drivers vent to blow right at me. Overall the center vents are not real good. You cant close them and there side to side is limited. However I never have a hard time with the system cooling the car on a hot Philly day.

New Owner of a 2008 Edge SE - Creme Brulee. So far I'm liking it very much (love is too strong a word this early in the relationship), however I have some nagging questions after my first afternoon driving her around.

1) I have the Reverse Sensing System and I can BARELY hear it. I traded in an F150 Lariat that had the same system, and audible alerts were very audible beeps, that simply went nuts as you got closer (solid tone). As I tested the system on my new Edge, I slowly backed straight in a parking lot (very slowly), when the first beep came, I could barely hear it, not to mention the sound seemed to be coming from the rear of the vehicle, and not the dash. Is this typical? Is this something I should have the dealership look into? Could the volume level of the system be adjusted somewhere?

2) The AC on the driver side is plain dismal. I'm in hot hot NC, and we're in the 90's daily with humidity topping the charts. When you get in the car you want that air blowing directly on your face. I can't seem to get the driver vents to hit me at all? Not to mention the strength of the airflow on high doesn't seem to compare to the passenger side vents. I saw an earlier post on this, but only one person seemed to agree with the poster. Certainly there are some owners on this board living in the hot states that could vouch that this is indeed a 'feature' of the Edge versus an anomaly.

Any help on these 2 issues would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to know if I should be hitting up my dealer on these issues.

I agree .... I have a 2007 MKX and I can barely hear the Reverse Sensing System.... Great idea.... Horrible execution.... I only have 3 minor complaints... Can't hear RSS.... No cover for luggage in the rear. No hand assist for the front passenger.... But, I really like this car (CUV).. Excellent ride, comfortable for all passengers. Folks who sit in the rear tell me how spacious it is.

THX sound system is terrific... Great around turns... Could be better on gas but, vs Lexus, Regular vs High... Acceleration is fine.... Brakes are fine (although there was very much discussion about the 2007 MKX brakes). I have the Continental tires .... I'm very satisfied with this auto.....

Edited by mkxfwd

• 3 months later...

Try putting your vehicle in reverse, and reversing towards a wall or a car so that your sensor starts to beep. At this point come to a full stop keeping the vehicle in reverse. While the sensor system is still beeping, turn up the volume on your stereo. That will bring up the volume on the beeping of the sensors in the 2008 EDGE AWD LIMITED with the NAV SYSTEM and SYNC.

Dunno if it's the same on all models, but that's how it's done in mine. (same goes for the nav system voice lady, if she's talking and you turn the volume up or down on the stereo, it actually affect the volume of her voice).

Try putting your vehicle in reverse, and reversing towards a wall or a car so that your sensor starts to beep. At this point come to a full stop keeping the vehicle in reverse. While the sensor system is still beeping, turn up the volume on your stereo. That will bring up the volume on the beeping of the sensors in the 2008 EDGE AWD LIMITED with the NAV SYSTEM and SYNC.

Dunno if it's the same on all models, but that's how it's done in mine. (same goes for the nav system voice lady, if she's talking and you turn the volume up or down on the stereo, it actually affect the volume of her voice).

This doesn't work on SEL+ with Audiophile system. Only the radio gets louder. Sounds like the beeps are coming from the hatch.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this adjustment specific to the Limited?

The beep on our 08 MKX with THX does not adjust.

Per the owners manual "While receiving a warning the radio volume will be reduced to a predetermined level."

It would be nice to have a little more beep volume.

ab

Is this adjustment specific to the Limited?

The beep on our 08 MKX with THX does not adjust.

Per the owners manual "While receiving a warning the radio volume will be reduced to a predetermined level."

It would be nice to have a little more beep volume.

ab

Hi ab. :D With all due respect to anyone who has posted otherwise, there is no volume adjustment on the Reverse Sensing System. We can not make the beep louder. And it does not adjust according to radio volume.

As you correctly stated, the Owners Manual explains the system quite clearly. The radio volume is reduced to a predetermined level when the Reverse Sensing System is activated.

Just a general observation/opinion of mine. I turn down the volume of my radio when backing up, since I consider backing up without being able to hear sort of foolish. I would prefer to be able to hear someone yell, or a horn honk if the need arises. Again, this is just my opinion. Anyone who prefers not being able to hear these things (and other warnings) is certainly free to back up as they like and with their radio volume as high as they want.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi ab. :D With all due respect to anyone who has posted otherwise, there is no volume adjustment on the Reverse Sensing System. We can not make the beep louder. And it does not adjust according to radio volume.

As you correctly stated, the Owners Manual explains the system quite clearly. The radio volume is reduced to a predetermined level when the Reverse Sensing System is activated.

Just a general observation/opinion of mine. I turn down the volume of my radio when backing up, since I consider backing up without being able to hear sort of foolish. I would prefer to be able to hear someone yell, or a horn honk if the need arises. Again, this is just my opinion. Anyone who prefers not being able to hear these thing (and other warnings) is certainly free to back up as they like and with their radio volume as high as they want.

Good luck. :beerchug:

:poke:

I was wondering if anyone could read between my lines.

ab

:beerchug: