Tuned my ST

edge-STinger

Bought a tuner from Unleashed Tuning, Been doing some data logs with Torrie (the owner), for the last couple of weeks and it's like a night and day difference. Super impressed with the results and we're not finished yet. If you're on the fence about doing it trust me, it's well worth it...

Edited by edge-STinger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, edge-STinger said:

bought I Tuner for Unleashed Tuning, Been doing some data logs with Torrie (the owner), for the last couple of weeks and it's like a night and day difference. Super impressed with the results and we're not finished yet. If you're on the fence about doing it trust me, it's well worth it...

Does he also tune the transmission shifts? I have the Livernois tune and I would not call it a night and day difference. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, blitz118 said:

Does he also tune the transmission shifts? I have the Livernois tune and I would not call it a night and day difference. 

he did tweak the trans at first, he's been more concentrating on getting the most out of the motor for now, once that's dialed in if I'm understanding him correctly he'll dial the trans in after. sorry to hear about your Livernois tune, I tried them with my Lincoln MKZ with the 3.0L turbo and I wasn't that impressed with the tune. All the reason I went back to Torrie, he did my old 2011 MKS and again night and day difference.

Edited by edge-STinger
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, edge-STinger said:

he did tweak the trans at first, he's been more concentrating on getting the most out of the motor for now, once that's dialed in if I'm understanding him correctly he'll dial the trans in after. sorry to hear about your Livernois tune, I tried them with my Lincoln MKZ with the 3.0L turbo and I wasn't that impressed the the tune. All the reason I went back to Torrie, he did my old 2011 MKS and again night and day difference.

How is it dialing in so far?  Like how many tune updates did you need to get where you are?  I used Stratified before on my FoST so all I got was the canned tune with my options and never actually got them to do anymore with it since I traded it for the Edge about 3 months later.  Also are you still using the stock IC?  and what kind of boost are you getting?  Just curious since I am only used to the 2.0 EB motor and what it can handle and do and of course that one needed an IC and colder plugs to get good numbers, which I had. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

How is it dialing in so far?  Like how many tune updates did you need to get where you are?  I used Stratified before on my FoST so all I got was the canned tune with my options and never actually got them to do anymore with it since I traded it for the Edge about 3 months later.  Also are you still using the stock IC?  and what kind of boost are you getting?  Just curious since I am only used to the 2.0 EB motor and what it can handle and do and of course that one needed an IC and colder plugs to get good numbers, which I had. 

It's going very well, we're up to 22 updates and every time Torrie sends me a new one I can feel the difference from the last. I'm still using the stock IC, peak boost I've seen is 18.3, can't remember what stock was.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, edge-STinger said:

It's going very well, we're up to 22 updates and every time Torrie sends me a new one I can feel the difference from the last. I'm still using the stock IC, peak boost I've seen is 18.3, can't remember what stock was.

Do you have any mods or is your car stock? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edge-STinger said:

In warm weather I can hold at the 17.5 mark and peak up to almost 20 that is why I was wondering.  Of course only when the temps are in the mid 60's or higher and when the IC is most likely heat soaked.  Almost like it has to hit that high to make the torque targets.  So if you can hit in the 18's consistently that is great.  I was not expecting numbers like the FoST tuned, lol.  On mine the highest I hit was 23.8 on 93 and going over 100 to get it to hit that regularly.   Keep us updated as this is exciting having a second choice for a tuner. 

• Like 1

Curious to see some track data or from Dragy. I have less confidence in the butt dyno feeling the difference of 22 revisions. 

Do please join us on Facebook (group), the fastest MKZ 3.0 today is tuned by Livernois so I doubt their tune is inferior, I do keep an open mind ofcourse, let's see some results! 

Edited by 037
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 037 said:

Curious to see some track data or from Dragy. I have less confidence in the butt dyno feeling the difference of 22 revisions. 

Do please join us on Facebook (group), the fastest MKZ 3.0 today is tuned by Livernois so I doubt their tune is inferior, I do keep an open mind ofcourse, let's see some results! 

I'm just telling my experience, I know what I feel and don't feel. As for the fastest MKZ tuned by Livernois, that's very disappointing to hear, when I installed there tune I hardly felt a difference In power, almost makes me feel the tune they sent me wasn't anywhere near complete and they forgot to send me updated tunes

• Like 1

It's not obvious from your posts your technical level. The 3.0 MKZ is a very quick car to begin with, are all your measurements coming from the butt dyno? 

Did you have traction off, brake torque, what fuel? 

I am currently driving a Livernois tuned Continental 3.0, same engine and transmission as MKZ and the Mustangs I beat have definitely noticed the difference. See example from a 6.4L Charger Scat Pack. 

Edited by 037

2 hours ago, 037 said:

It's not obvious from your posts your technical level. The 3.0 MKZ is a very quick car to begin with, are all your measurements coming from the butt dyno? 

Did you have traction off, brake torque, what fuel? 

I am currently driving a Livernois tuned Continental 3.0, same engine and transmission as MKZ and the Mustangs I beat have definitely noticed the difference. See example from a 6.4L Charger Scat Pack. 

I am pretty technical, Like I said I myself owned a 2017 MKZ with the 3.0 twin turbo. I'm very familiar with the quickness of the car, Traction and brake torque all off, was running 93 octane. I am going by butt in seat dyno comparing it to my 2011 MKS twin turbo with the 3.5L. Again I would assume the tune I was sent wasn't completed, that's the only explanation I can come up with on why I was so disappointed. 

image1.jpeg

Edited by edge-STinger
add pic
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

My Edge Sport sees 23s regularly 

Do you have the Livernois on that?  I am still unsure why they can't seem to get an ST tuned up as nice as the Sport.  Are they scared the new trans can't handle it or something.  I mean I  hit 17-18 stock on the ST and would think it should be more than capable of hitting at least 22 with no issues.  Heck I am shocked that FRPP has not decided to come out with a tune for it, I mean they have been trying to blow up FoST engines at almost 25 psi for years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

Do you have the Livernois on that?  I am still unsure why they can't seem to get an ST tuned up as nice as the Sport.  Are they scared the new trans can't handle it or something.  I mean I  hit 17-18 stock on the ST and would think it should be more than capable of hitting at least 22 with no issues.  Heck I am shocked that FRPP has not decided to come out with a tune for it, I mean they have been trying to blow up FoST engines at almost 25 psi for years. 

Edge is Unleashed, though from my understanding, nobody knows what the transmission can handle, better to be safe right now than sorry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2019 at 12:11 PM, edge-STinger said:

Bought a tuner from Unleashed Tuning, Been doing some data logs with Torrie (the owner), for the last couple of weeks and it's like a night and day difference. Super impressed with the results and we're not finished yet. If you're on the fence about doing it trust me, it's well worth it...

Which tuner did you go with?

• Like 1

One thing we learned long ago on EcoBoost is that just because you CAN run X amount of boost doesn't mean you should. Most of our records are set running less boost than others, because it actually makes the same power with less knife edge reliability. Additionally, while the engine is nearly identical to the Sport, the ST has a 100% completely different engine control system, not to mention transmission. We are never ones to go out and throw the hammer down without time and experience on a platform on our side. with nearly 60000 parameters in the ECM on these, restraint and a gradual approach is the right path. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just my opinion, there are tunes out there that work well with the new Edge ST.  It is nice to have a couple of tunes to go with and ones personal preference.  I went with LMS because of their approach to the new trans in the ST and slight update to the engine.  I am happy with the results and looking forward to future updates from LMS.  So for me, I agree with their response above. 

Edited by Sage
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Livernois Motorsports said:

One thing we learned long ago on EcoBoost is that just because you CAN run X amount of boost doesn't mean you should. Most of our records are set running less boost than others, because it actually makes the same power with less knife edge reliability. Additionally, while the engine is nearly identical to the Sport, the ST has a 100% completely different engine control system, not to mention transmission. We are never ones to go out and throw the hammer down without time and experience on a platform on our side. with nearly 60000 parameters in the ECM on these, restraint and a gradual approach is the right path. 

I understand that and it is why I asked questions in your Tuning thread but you never answered them.  I lease mine so I want a nice safe tune with some more performance that what stock gives.  But I would like to know more about your approach to tuning.  I know how Unleashed works from people who have used them for the Focus.  I probably could search this forum for answers about how you tuned the Sport but like you said this is a different beast ECM wise. 

sorry about the late reply when been  extremely busy an our tunes are safe we stay within the parameters until we learn more about the vehicles limits. we been getting good feedback on our tunes stating it fixes a lot of little issues the car had from factory and is more enjoyable to drive we also can make custom adjustments for your personal preference. There is a lot we can do if you want give us your number or give us a call an we can discuss it further 313-561-5500

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2019 at 5:02 PM, Livernois Motorsports said:

sorry about the late reply when been  extremely busy an our tunes are safe we stay within the parameters until we learn more about the vehicles limits. we been getting good feedback on our tunes stating it fixes a lot of little issues the car had from factory and is more enjoyable to drive we also can make custom adjustments for your personal preference. There is a lot we can do if you want give us your number or give us a call an we can discuss it further 313-561-5500

I ended up going with your tune.  I am currently running v3 of the 93 Perf tune.  I would like to know how does the customer find out if there is a new revision, with improvements and tweaks?  Is there somewhere to go and see what is current?  Love the tune so far. 

1 hour ago, jamie1073 said:

I ended up going with your tune.  I am currently running v3 of the 93 Perf tune.  I would like to know how does the customer find out if there is a new revision, with improvements and tweaks?  Is there somewhere to go and see what is current?  Love the tune so far. 

I have their tune and called and asked them that same question.  I was told just to give them a call, it would help if you have your tuner hand held s/n number, they will look up your vehicle.  

4 hours ago, Sage said:

I have their tune and called and asked them that same question.  I was told just to give them a call, it would help if you have your tuner hand held s/n number, they will look up your vehicle.  

Well I have only had it 2 weeks so I figure I will give them some time before calling again.  It would be nice if somewhere like their website would say which tune revision they are on.  I know way to easy right.  Lol!

• Like 1