Transaxle Fluid Change Old/New

Gadgetjq

My (new to me) '16 Ti has 33k miles on it so (despite Ford's claims of 150k before doing this) I decided to change the transaxle fluid.  I'm sure glad I did and after seeing the photo (below) you might want to do the same.  I guess it's obvious but the dish on the left is the 'new' Motorcraft Mercon LV and at right is the (eek) old fluid.  Just pulling the plug drained almost exactly 5 quarts, the tranny capacity is 11 so a 'lot' is being held in the torque converter.  After a few hundred miles another drain and fill will be in order I guess.

transoil_old_new.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why not let the dealer do a full fluid exchange which gets everything including the torque converter?

That's probably the easier way but at the local $140 an hour dealer rate plus extreme markup on materials it would be an expensive option.  More importantly, I enjoy working on my own cars and (even at age 71) can handle a simple drain and refill.   ;)

• Like 1

The fluid on the right looks fine to me, dark red is perfectly normal at 33k miles, which is way too soon for a transmission fluid replacement in my opinion. It won't hurt anything but your pocketbook though. Next change for me would be 100k rather than in a couple hundred miles.

Edited by erikrichard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

That's probably the easier way but at the local $140 an hour dealer rate plus extreme markup on materials it would be an expensive option.  More importantly, I enjoy working on my own cars and (even at age 71) can handle a simple drain and refill.   ;)

Dealer charged me 180.00 on my 2015   3.5engine for the flush.  Not cheap but acceptable price.  Just call them and they will tell you upfront the cost. 

• Like 1

You can choose to do it the way you want to do it.  The very first fluid change will have breakin materials in there.  So why not complete the 3x-4x round of drain/fills and be set for 5 yrs or 60K whichever comes first.

Mercon LV naturally "browns" with age, unlike Mercon V.  FordTechMakuloco has a video on YT explaining this.

• Like 1