2017 Edge Hardwire for Dash Cam

If you're hardwiring, you'll want it to be ignition switched or at least computer controlled like the cigarette lighter / power port is.

there are some great fuse taps you can pick up at a parts store for pretty cheap. As for the fuse to use, I think you'll want to look into the Extended Power Module possibly.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O33761&countryCode=USA&languageCode=EN&marketCode=US&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1676239&subTitleSelected=G1820962&topicHRef=G1820963&div=f&variantid=4224&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

I can't get into the AutoMate site right now, but depending on your location, you could access it via Michigan Education Library: https://mel.org/welcome

I attached the fuses export from the Owners manual for your reference: Fuses.pdf

Edited by mvan231
  • Like 1

Getting to the fuses just left of the drivers panel looks like a pain in the you know what. Maybe I should hardwire it instead to the cigarette plug. I do have a NUNET Hardwire Kit. It come with a fuse on the wire harness as well.

Edited by ToeNuttz

Easiest and cheapest way is to use a pre-made harness (mirror-tap) that plugs into the back of your mirror connector. The mirror is on the time delay circuit, it powers on with the ignition and stays on until a door is opened or timed expires (just like the radio.)

SimpleUSBCable 12V to MicroUSB Two-Prong Universal Dashcam Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFRWC3X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YhefDbNKWS2FZ

• Like 1

8 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Easiest and cheapest way is to use a pre-made harness (mirror-tap) that plugs into the back of your mirror connector. The mirror is on the time delay circuit, it powers on with the ignition and stays on until a door is opened or timed expires (just like the radio.)

SimpleUSBCable 12V to MicroUSB Two-Prong Universal Dashcam Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFRWC3X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YhefDbNKWS2FZ

That looks like it will do perfectly. Thanks for the link!

52 minutes ago, ToeNuttz said:

Anyone able to tell me ignition wire and ground. My probe is to fat to test. No pun intended.

For my '16 pin #1 (blue with orange stripe) is +, pin 10 Black is -.  I believe your + wire is the yellow one though.  Different years/models have different colors depending on options.

If you have a couple of alligator clips connect them with a piece of wire then clip one to the + side of your multitester and the other to a simple pin/needle (household sewing kit).  Stick the pin in the pin 1 (likely your yellow) connector (where your probe is too fat to fit) and touch your other multitester lead (-) to ground.  With the ignition on you'll see power. 

Keep the pin and alligator clip extension with the multitester for future adventures in electricity. ;)

Edit to add: the mirror + may be connected to the accessory delay circuit so when you shut the car down your accessory may stay on for a few seconds/minutes.....or not, again depending on trim level.

Edited by Gadgetjq
added note about delayed off

Unfortunately, I don't have any alligator clips.  I tapped in to the yellow positive and the black negative. Now I'm just waiting to see how long before it turns off.

-edit-

It's been on for over 5 minutes now. I think the yellow might be the constant. 

Edited by ToeNuttz

21 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

The '15 and later Edge uses Micro2 fuses.  Here's the fuse tap you'd need.

micro2tap.jpg

Thank you! However the amazon page shows three different images - are the one in the picture you posted the right size? I'm still waiting to get the car so I can't check.

18 hours ago, ToeNuttz said:

Thank you, the dashcam I'm looking at already have the hardwire kit included, but not the fuse tap, so I'm searching for it separately.

20 minutes ago, papinist said:

Thank you! However the amazon page shows three different images - are the one in the picture you posted the right size? I'm still waiting to get the car so I can't check.

Good catch! I hadn't noticed they have different pictures for the same item.  Weird. 

The Micro2 that I included in my post is the correct one.  I've actually ordered two sets of them from that same page having used a couple inside the car and two more in the under-hood fuse box.  Obviously I have spares for future projects ;)

Cheers!

• Thanks 1