KEYLESS ENTRY KEYPAD

Tronjo

Programmed mine and no issues.

First it will prompt You to enter the Factory admin code that came with the car,

then it will prompt you to set your personal code and confirm your personal code

You cannot change the default Factory code. you can just create additional ones.

Edited by ONEDGE16

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

When do you guys use this keypad?

There's a sequence you can use to lock the doors with the engine running that's come in handy here in the desert southwest when temps hit 115 this summer.  It could be just as useful during a winter freeze if you only have to make a dash into a quickie mart for a package of Twinkies or Tastykake.
To take advantage of that you'd want to turn on police mode with FORScan so your Edge couldn't be stolen.  The mode locks the shifter in park as long as the fob isn't in the vehicle.

Edited by Gadgetjq

Best of all you can never be stuck locking the keys in the vehicle - you can open it in about 3 seconds (I always wanted Ford to do a commercial where two people lock their keys in their Ford and Chevy vehicles.  The Ford owner puts in the code and drives away while the Chevy owner was looking for a cell phone to call OnStar).

It's also handy to get something out without having to go get the key or to let someone else access the vehicle while you're not there.  

You can also drop the vehicle off somewhere for someone else to pick up (leaving the keys inside).

Once you start using it you'll never want a vehicle without it.

I use it if I want to lock the keys in the car or if I happen to need something out of the locked car and I do not have the fob on me.  I also use it for times the handles do not work for locking or unlocking the doors because of the weather and my fob is in my pocket and I am to lazy to get it out. 

Edited by jamie1073

11 hours ago, omar302 said:

Ford's Keypad is very useful as stated above, the only drawback is that the factory code cannot be changed which is a serious risk in my opinion.

Only if you leave the code in the glovebox.  Take the card out of the vehicle and nobody but you will know the factory code.  Problem solved.

12 hours ago, omar302 said:

<snip> the only drawback is that the factory code cannot be changed which is a serious risk in my opinion.

I suspect that's by design to protect us from ourselves.    At least with a locked in code those who forget their 'personal' pin can reset and start over.  If our personal pin replaced the OEM code and we forgot it (because humans do stupid things) we'd be hosed.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Only if you leave the code in the glovebox.  Take the card out of the vehicle and nobody but you will know the factory code.  Problem solved.

Or anyone from the dealership. Or previous owner(s). Or anyone who had access to both keys (recent models). Or who peaked under the dash (older models). They should really allow it to be changed.

13 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

I suspect that's by design to protect us from ourselves.    At least with a locked in code those who forget their 'personal' pin can reset and start over.  If our personal pin replaced the OEM code and we forgot it (because humans do stupid things) we'd be hosed.

A dealer would be able to get it for using their equipment. Similar to when you lose a key.

23 minutes ago, omar302 said:

Or anyone from the dealership. Or previous owner(s). Or anyone who had access to both keys (recent models). Or who peaked under the dash (older models). They should really allow it to be changed.

Don't disagree that it should be changeable but I don't think any of those scenarios are very probable.

6 minutes ago, omar302 said:

A dealer would be able to get it for using their equipment. Similar to when you lose a key.

Not so much.  You're making a case for absolutely no factory code or at least one that's overwritten when an owner enters their new digits.  That's so, as you suggest 'anyone from the dealership or previous owner(s) or anyone with access to both keys or a look under the dash' can't swipe a master code.  By your reckoning a new owner's code should overwrite the factory numbers.  Dealer equipment wouldn't be able to retrieve it. 
Of course this could have a serious impact on subsequent owners too.  Without a master code they'd have to know the digits used by the original owner.....the one who lost the second key fob and all the original manuals. ;)

3 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Liked that! ?