Puddle Lights Part Deux

Gadgetjq

I know, this has been posted before but thought I'd add a few pics along with a 'how-to'. 

This might be the simplest mod you can do to your Edge with the possible exception of swapping out lug nuts. 
I started with an aftermarket puddle light from iJDMToy ( https://amzn.to/2mmHnvc )primarily because I've used their products before and they've never let me down.  If you look around you can probably find something similar for about half the price that may or may not be waterproof and may or may not be error free and might or might not last for years.  Like my daddy once said "I'm too poor to buy cheap tools." 

Removal of the OEM puddle light is simplicity itself.  Look under your mirror and you'll see a slot where you can insert a small flat blade screwdriver.  Push toward the light and pull down.  The light will simply hinge down so you can pull it out along with wiring. 

Pull the connector off of the OEM light (you might have to use that little screwdriver to pry it off).  If your replacement comes with wiring already attached I'd recommend sliding a small piece of shrink tube over the connector (see pic).  There's no use taking a chance metal will ever meet metal inside the mirror housing and take out an important fuse.

After connecting your new puddle light open a door to be certain it works.  Now you can shrink the tubing if you've used it.  Put the new light in the mirror the reverse of the way you took the old one out (except you don't need the screwdriver). 

Repeat on the other side.  Done!    Below are photos showing a comparison of the OEM (incandescent) light and new LED, a shot of the new light dangling just to show the shrink tubing, a photo of it installed in the mirror housing and the result with no other light on in the garage.  Compare that to what you have now.  The final photo I shamelessly swiped from the iJDMToy website so those who prefer pics to text instructions can see how it's done.

Cheers!

1comparison.jpg

2connected.jpg

3installed.jpg

4result.jpg

5inpics.jpg

Edited by Gadgetjq
Added photo
  • Like 3

I bought the ones with the Lincoln logo. In a word, crap. Swapped them out for a set of regular high-intensity LEDs. (Too dim, and these were the ones before the adjustable positioning ones so the logo was never lined up with the side of the car.)

Also, I'd rethink going with blue. The human eye focuses blue differently than all other colors and has fewer blue receptors. The LEDs, no matter how bright they start off will appear dim or weak. (Don't over pay as you may not like the effect.)

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 3:09 PM, enigma-2 said:

Also, I'd rethink going with blue. The human eye focuses blue differently than all other colors and has fewer blue receptors. The LEDs, no matter how bright they start off will appear dim or weak. (Don't over pay as you may not like the effect.)

Good advice, I'll def think on it. The seller has a picture of the blue puddle lights on a car and they seem pretty bright there, but there's always the chance that the pics are faked/edited in some way. 

Screenshot_20190929-202706_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20190929-202703_Amazon Shopping.jpg

21 hours ago, soUNTOUCHABLE said:

The seller has a picture of the blue puddle lights on a car and they seem pretty bright there, but there's always the chance that the pics are faked/edited in some way.

Based on the photos I'd guess you're hoping to purchase via Amazon.  That company has an excellent return process if the item isn't what you expected.  Bottom line, order with confidence you can return the lights (free) if they don't appear in the real world as they do in the pictures.