2019 Edge ST--replaced the odd-shaped exhaust tips

Jombi

I'm wondering what all of your general opinions are on this tiny mod--reverting to the round exhaust tips over the odd vertical-trapezoid stock tips on the 2019 Edge ST?

This is a "round peg in a trapezoid hole" scenario, but I think it works--I had a very odd and strong aversion to the shape of those stock tips.  These replacements are stainless, were 9" length with 2.5" in and 4" out, about $40 for the pair.

I believe the actual size of the muffler exit pipes are 2.25, but it appears Ford punched an oval flare die into the exit pipe (not sure why--it's hidden).  So to get these to slip on without sawing off the flare, I got the 2.5 size inlet for the new tips, used large channel locks to de-oval the exit pipe flare, and to make the clamp work on the smaller pipe after I'd cleared the flare, I had wrapped several layers of aluminum heat tape around the pipe, and the 2.5 clamp worked perfectly.

There are 3 stainless 8mm bolts that hold the stock tips to the bumper (they are not connected to the muffler exit pipes).  Two bolts on either side--very easy--but one bolt is on top and very hard to see or reach.  I used a flex-extension on a 1/4 drive ratchet and blindly found the hex head and got it out.  There is also a plastic sort of mounting bracket, which I thought was a fairly elaborate piece of molded plastic for just holding the stock tips.  Anyway, I left that in--some of the torx screws were behind the tow-bar cross-frame, so that ended any thought of removing those.  But you can't see them unless you get down real close and look.  Plus they're black, and I put tiny strips of black gorilla tape over the now-empty bolt holes and tab-slots, so it doesn't have that "something's missing" look.

20191005_104015-2.jpg

20191005_104023-2.jpg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

"Jombi", it does look like you said in your first post --> "a round peg in a trapezoid hole". :(

Claude.

Yes, that was my only hesitation, but I'll stick with it for now, I think in general it works.  There are other maker's models where a horizontal trapezoid looks fine, like the Acura MDX, but something about the vertical look was too...Cadillac-ish for me.   I of course saved the stock tips so if I go to sell it I can bring it back to full stock. 

Who knows--maybe this will start a trend! 

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, txaggie said:

Thanks for the link!!  To build up the OD on the exhaust, did you just wrap with HVAC tape?  (ETA - and sorry for the double post on FB, just didn't know what was the easiest way to reach you)

Yes, the pure aluminum stuff, 4in. wide.

• Like 1