Does 2.0 Need a Catch Can?

Jim70

I have read where in a lot of turbo engines need a catch can. Recently there was a thread on a Ford 2.7 engine needing a catch can. So my question is does the Ford Edge 2019 with a 2.0 engine need a catch can? Sometimes I take very short trips adding to my concern.

And an additional question to  Mr Kirby ,  what is the difference between this forum and the Ford Blue Oval Forum.

9 hours ago, Jim70 said:

I have read where in a lot of turbo engines need a catch can. Recently there was a thread on a Ford 2.7 engine needing a catch can. So my question is does the Ford Edge 2019 with a 2.0 engine need a catch can? Sometimes I take very short trips adding to my concern.

And an additional question to  Mr Kirby ,  what is the difference between this forum and the Ford Blue Oval Forum.

It's not only turbo charged engines that benefit from a catch can, ...... all engines that have the Positive Crank Case Ventilation plumbed into the intake manifold benefit from a catch can.

Turbo engines typically have more piston blow-by, so the catch can does a little more work on them. 

• Like 1

the link you posted isn't for the 2.0.  This one should work.  I'd imagine the cabling is going to be slightly different:
https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-3-0-oil-separator-2013-2019-ford-escape-2-0-ecoboost-passenger-side/

I used TeamRXP that catches stuff in boost & in vacuum. It's a little more expensive, but worth it imo.  You can also get a more 'normal' one, but I don't know a good brand off the top of my head.  A more 'normal' one would just be a simple connection between the intake manifold & engine block.  The TeamRXP one has 3 lines coming off the can.  I notice on my 2.0 that I catch way way way more in the winter, than in the summer.  Probably due to the condensation & cooler/denser air.  Same on my CX7, which has a 'normal' can on it.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, DrivingofftheEdge said:

Anyone know of any discount codes or deals on RXP catch can kits. It's really hard to swallow $500 for an aluminum can and some hoses. The JLT kit looks like junk and is not worth the $150 imo. I would love to get the RXP but for christ sake $500??

Looks aside, myself and others here can confirm that the JLT performs well, which would make it a whole lot better bang for the buck.

The two JLT that I have were bought when they had a seasonal special, so think I paid around $135.

Edited by 1004ron