Jim70

Does 2.0 Need a Catch Can?

I have read where in a lot of turbo engines need a catch can. Recently there was a thread on a Ford 2.7 engine needing a catch can. So my question is does the Ford Edge 2019 with a 2.0 engine need a catch can? Sometimes I take very short trips adding to my concern.

And an additional question to  Mr Kirby ,  what is the difference between this forum and the Ford Blue Oval Forum.

9 hours ago, Jim70 said:

I have read where in a lot of turbo engines need a catch can. Recently there was a thread on a Ford 2.7 engine needing a catch can. So my question is does the Ford Edge 2019 with a 2.0 engine need a catch can? Sometimes I take very short trips adding to my concern.

And an additional question to  Mr Kirby ,  what is the difference between this forum and the Ford Blue Oval Forum.

It's not only turbo charged engines that benefit from a catch can, ...... all engines that have the Positive Crank Case Ventilation plumbed into the intake manifold benefit from a catch can.

Turbo engines typically have more piston blow-by, so the catch can does a little more work on them. 

• Like 1

Short answer:

Yes if you want to keep your 2.0 running for a long time. Coking can cause hesitation, rough idiling, bad mpg, etc. A catch can will help stop inpurities from sticking to the back of the intake valves. 

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrivingofftheEdge said:

What is the best kit for the dollar? And performance?

JLT

https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-3-0-oil-separator-2011-19-f-150-2-7l-3-5l-5-0l-passenger-side/

Let them know that your were referred by this forum for a small discount.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

the link you posted isn't for the 2.0.  This one should work.  I'd imagine the cabling is going to be slightly different:
https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-3-0-oil-separator-2013-2019-ford-escape-2-0-ecoboost-passenger-side/

I used TeamRXP that catches stuff in boost & in vacuum. It's a little more expensive, but worth it imo.  You can also get a more 'normal' one, but I don't know a good brand off the top of my head.  A more 'normal' one would just be a simple connection between the intake manifold & engine block.  The TeamRXP one has 3 lines coming off the can.  I notice on my 2.0 that I catch way way way more in the winter, than in the summer.  Probably due to the condensation & cooler/denser air.  Same on my CX7, which has a 'normal' can on it.

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

I have a 2017 2.0. and the online videos seem to use an older escape with the old design 2.0.

Has anyone installed the JLT on a newer design 2.0?  Is the procedure essentiall the same?

Thanks

I don;t know about 2.0 but I installed one on my 2020 St.  It is catching oil as designed and was very easy to install.

• Like 1

No car needs a catch can.

Has anyone done a 2.0?  How is it done? What is the level of dificulty?

3 hours ago, bogmanglen said:

Has anyone done a 2.0?  How is it done? What is the level of dificulty?