K&N Filter? Yes or No

seems to be a lot of opinions on this topic no doubt, and I am sure you are about to get your fill of them :) so I will pass on the actual debate.

That being said, I am a big fan and have/had them on past and current cars. I did not get one yet as I am waiting to see if someone - like Steeda or K&N or Air Raid - will release a cold air intake kit, which will naturally have their filter included. If that does not happen in the next fews months, I will be doing a K&N for sure.

We have had a K&N in for about 10 months now and can report this. We have not destroyed our engine due excessive dirt in engine nor have we noticed an increase in MPG or power. I actually forgot we even had it in there until I saw this post. I am glad to know that we never need to buy another filter and can just clean this one. Well worth the $$$.

I have had one in my 03 Sport Trac for a bout 3 years now.

Noticed a gas mileage improvement of about 10-15%.

It now has 134,000kms on it, and it runs fine.

Maybe there is a little extra dirt getting in and it will not let the engine make it to 300K or 400K,

who knows?

who cares?

Its getting traded in next week when my EDGE gets delivered and has served its purpose.

That $60 filter has saved my $60 a month in fuel for the last 3 years.

I'll be putting one in my EDGE.

IF they were that bad, then why would they display and sell them at the Ford Parts counter at the dealership?

Ford racing sells the oiled air intakes and they are part of their FR packages. Same with Roush. I have used them on past ( over 100k miles ) as well as the K&N on our Edge. Installed it when I got the tuner so not sure of any real seat of the pants gains for the filter alone but every little bit helps. ( you can also pop the small snorkel off bottom of air box so you have a baseball sized air hole versus the small nickel sized opening. ) I plan on getting a CAI kit when one is available, not really sure of the Green one that is available now but maybe someone will post a pic with it installed and do a review.

you can also pop the small snorkel off bottom of air box so you have a baseball sized air hole versus the small nickel sized opening.

can you or anyone expand on what that is and why it is there? if you can easily 'pop' it out, is it just a restrictor? why would it be there and also be removable?

I plan on getting a CAI kit when one is available, not really sure of the Green one that is available now but maybe someone will post a pic with it installed and do a review.

that Green one I posted about elsewhere now seems to be... gone. the website no longer lists it. so not sure what that is about. there is also a thread here that has a post, with photos, to a website that shows one in development by Steeda. Well, I emailed them last week and they said 'a few weeks'.. so stay tuned.

Lots of folks are out there trying to knock off the world leader in aftermarket air filtration. I've used them on go-carts, dirt bikes, boats, jeeps, trucks and cars for ever. One failed from using a non aproved cleaner. My best results came from running one on a modified Honda XR-250 dirt bike. We ran hard for days in extream dust. That thing had 1/4" of crud on it but to my suprise cleaning it had no effect on performance. The oil wicks out onto the dirt actually making the dirt part of the filter. Moral is to not clean them. I put one in the wifes car with RTV silicon to seal the box up. The car had 80K on it so unless it sees 150k I'll never unseal the box.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that new K&N filters have less oil from the factory on them. I allways add a quick light coat of extra oil. Some folks have run K&N on modified engines in a stock smallish airbox that will cause too much air to be forced thru the filter. This will pull some oil and possible dirt thru them. The modified Duramax turbo crowd had this problem. I still say they are the best but watch out for some that come with an aditional piece of foam sealing tape. They use the tape to make a particular filter fit more than one airbox. Bad plan, bad design and shame on K&N for selling a fitter that needs foam tape to get it to seal in the box properly.

The Edge allready has from the factory a provition to add cold air. If you pop out the side tube that breaths hot underhood air you will find a perfect oval port. Just so happens that standard dryer duct fits perfecty. Run this duct straight down to the fog lamp delete cover opening or if you have foglights then cut and make a small ram air flap just under and behind the air dam. Instant cheap direct cold air induction. Some have laughed at my design (Lex) but it works great. You could spring for the nice aluminum dryer duct or shop the aftermarket for somthing fancy. Marine supliers also have all kinds of scoops and vents if you have foglights and want a trick scoop on the bottom. No cold air kit will beat this setup. The factory airbox is more than big enough especialy with a K&N. No need to worry about water because the airbox is also ported to a small behind the grill opening. No vacuum means no water will get sucked up the large duct you added.

Still want more?? Remove that large plastic box on top of the boot going to the throtle body. Plug the ports even with the boot to smooth airflow. Holesaw on plywood makes quick plugs but just make sure you buy new clamps and seal it all well with RTV. The black box is nothing more than a noise muffler for the intake. It causes tubulence in the air stream so smoothing it helps like on the high $$ aftermarket tube style intake systems.

Mine is just a well loved beater. It's a company car that is low on the pecking order for mods and is driven hard. I use the free jiffy lube air filters and vinly dryer duct. Driving it like the gas is free because it is too me I get 23.0mpg with the cold air I made for it. Great vehicle!

One more K&N story. I meet a K&N rep at an off road trade show. We discussed the air filter competition and the conversation turned to oil filters. K&N also makes the best oil filters if you race. They have a thicker can material and a nut on the end drilled for safty wire. The wire is required by some of racings santioning bodys. I use them on my off road rigs because the can can withstand a little more abuse like a rock ding or a broken driveshaft hitting it. The K&N rep told me that a Mobil One filter has the same exact filter material inside the can and if you want the best filter for a car then buy the Mobil One filter and save some cash. Preety cool of a K&N rep to be so honest. I've noticed that my Mobil One oil stays clear for many more miles of use with one of the mentioned filters.

• 2 years later...

Motorcraft filters can be had for $3 at wally world and are just as good as a $12 K&N oil filter. If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside running a K&N filter than by all means use them. Mobil one oil has really gone down hill rapidly which is why the price did also. I always ram M1 oil in the Edge but changing the oil every 3,000 miles I lost 2 quarts due to volatilty burn off. Switched to pennzoil ultra and now a little over 5 quarts comes out. Mobil 1 is not what it used to be.

can you or anyone expand on what that is and why it is there? if you can easily 'pop' it out, is it just a restrictor? why would it be there and also be removable?

that Green one I posted about elsewhere now seems to be... gone. the website no longer lists it. so not sure what that is about. there is also a thread here that has a post, with photos, to a website that shows one in development by Steeda. Well, I emailed them last week and they said 'a few weeks'.. so stay tuned.

The snorkel quiets the sound of the intake sucking air. Major improvement with it removed and added K&N. Sounds badass when opened up and blowing by someone full throttle on the highway. Power increase is more noticeable in the lower rpm range. Edge seems to run smoother with added torque down low which a 2 ton+ car needs more of.

Edited by ThinLine

Ive been using a K&N filter since Christmas time and have notices that I picked up 1-2 MPG while using the winter blend fuels we get here in NJ. i keep a close eye on my fuel economy because my commute and driving style are very stable, so Im comfortable saying that at the very least it improved my fuel economy. I also like that I can clean and reuse it versus throwing paper filters in the land fill.

I've used K&N on all my cars.

It may let more dirt in at the very beginning, but after a weeks use, its going to filter better than paper. And of course, flow is no-brainer.

The oil grabs the dirt and keeps it in, making the filter even more effective.The reason these things are not stock on cars is 1) general public will might over oil and ruin a MAF sensor 2) They make money on paper filters and charging you to change them 3) They cost more to make.

In the long run, you will save much money on using a K&N air filter. Heck, I still have the same re-oil kit from 2003 with more than half left.

Edited by cal3thousand

WOW.... Somebody just replied to an almost 3 year old topic.

It wasn't me.... this time.

I'll be honest, on this site, some things need to come back up. It's either that or we start new threads and lose old replies. And I bet this 2+ YO thread was on the 2nd page of some section though. :lol:

backtotopic.gif

K&N PN for Edge Drop in Panel filter is KN-33-2395. They are going for about $50 right now.

It wasn't me.... this time.

I'll be honest, on this site, some things need to come back up. It's either that or we start new threads and lose old replies. And I bet this 2+ YO thread was on the 2nd page of some section though. :lol:

backtotopic.gif

K&N PN for Edge Drop in Panel filter is KN-33-2395. They are going for about $50 right now.

Add it up--- Change the paper filter every 30,000 miles. That's 5 changes for 150,000 miles at even $10 a filter-- false economy-- And, there is no change in fuel economy! You're simply dreaming if you think that an air filter will make the computer change anything. There once was a time when an air filter could affect economy, but now, with air flow sensors, the computer simply adjusts for air flow and has nothing to do with a restricted air filter. A restricted filter will affect top end performance, but not fuel economy.

The only reason you would seem to get increased economy when you put in a K&N is because you are now more concious of how you are driving ---

I beg to differ cause they have done DYNO tests on new cars with the K+N and it did show a HP increase.

Also what do you think would make your engine breathe better..... #1 A paper bag or #2 A cotton shirt?

#1 the OEM style filter is like a paper bag... Really tear one apart and look at the element. It is like a really tightly woven paper fabric.

#2 The K+N is like a cotton shirt where it flows better.

Now if your engine can suck filtered fresh air in faster, smoother and easier you will gain HP and better fuel economy and dont even try to tell me I am wrong. If your engine has a restricted type OEM filter it has to work harder to get that air in.

And why do MFG's use paper filters??? They are cheap plus your average Joe does not have the talent to wash and clean a reusable filter, this is why Jiffy Lubes are all over cause the general population do not work on their cars, if they did over 1/2 of the repair facilities would be out of business.

MFG's are out to make money, not to loose it.

You know I have never seen any article where a stock OEM filter outflowed, outperformed or beat a K+N in HP or MPG gain, now I have seen plenty where a K+N beats OEM.

• Like 1

I beg to differ cause they have done DYNO tests on new cars with the K+N and it did show a HP increase.

Also what do you think would make your engine breathe better..... #1 A paper bag or #2 A cotton shirt?

#1 the OEM style filter is like a paper bag... Really tear one apart and look at the element. It is like a really tightly woven paper fabric.

#2 The K+N is like a cotton shirt where it flows better.

Now if your engine can suck filtered fresh air in faster, smoother and easier you will gain HP and better fuel economy and dont even try to tell me I am wrong. If your engine has a restricted type OEM filter it has to work harder to get that air in.

And why do MFG's use paper filters??? They are cheap plus your average Joe does not have the talent to wash and clean a reusable filter, this is why Jiffy Lubes are all over cause the general population do not work on their cars, if they did over 1/2 of the repair facilities would be out of business.

MFG's are out to make money, not to loose it.

You know I have never seen any article where a stock OEM filter outflowed, outperformed or beat a K+N in HP or MPG gain, now I have seen plenty where a K+N beats OEM.

If HP is all you are after, go for it--- the rest is nothing but a pipe dream! Perhaps in a vehicle with a carburetor and no computer, the K&N will give a small increase in fuel economy, but if you think it can fool the computer, you are just dreaming.

The first half of the service period for the K&N you suck in extra dirt--the second half when the extra dirt starts to restrict air flow, it might filter as well as paper-- If it could increase fuel economy, every OEM would be using it. CAFE is what makes sales when gas prices are what they are now.--- Perhaps you could give some scientific reason that the K&N increases fuel economy on a computer controlled engine.

Even if it improved economy, the cost of it makes no sense till you drive way past 150,000 miles. The HP increase only happens at WOT. You rarely drive at full throttle, and if you do, your economy sorta disappears, doesn't it!

Please note I am not "stalking" you. I am simply providing facts that conflict with your statements from public sources.

Even K&N doesn't claim a mpg gain:

however, we do not go so far as to make a general claim that our air filters and intake systems will provide an increase in mileage.

Fueleconomy.gov came to the same conclusion - airflow restriction does not affect mpg ON MODERN CARS:

Results show that clogging the air filter has no significant effect on the fuel economy of the newer vehicles (all fuel injected with closed-loop control and one equipped with MDS). The engine control systems were able to maintain the desired AFR regardless of intake restrictions, and therefore fuel consumption was not increased.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

The reason is simple - Mass Airflow Sensor. There is no difference between a paper filter at 50% throttle and a K&N filter at 45% throttle - they both flow the same amount of air into the engine thus using the same amount of fuel.

You can flow slightly more air at WOT with a K&N so you might get a very slight hp increase - 1-4 hp. But no mileage gain.

But keep in mind that the oil/cotton filter will flow better for longer. After 10,000 miles, the flow of the paper filter is reduced more than that of the K&N. (Sorry I am not even going to try to quantify this, but depth loading > surface loading)

If you were great with changing the paper filter often out and/or live in a low dust environment, you probably could keep similar flow.

IMO, brand new, both will have similar MPG range. But as time wears on, unless you change that paper filter out often, flow will degrade and eventually that DOES affect MPG.

And even if you don't agree that flow affects MPG, we should be able to agree on the fact that throttle response is affected by flow.

But keep in mind that the oil/cotton filter will flow better for longer. After 10,000 miles, the flow of the paper filter is reduced more than that of the K&N. (Sorry I am not even going to try to quantify this, but depth loading > surface loading)

If you were great with changing the paper filter often out and/or live in a low dust environment, you probably could keep similar flow.

IMO, brand new, both will have similar MPG range. But as time wears on, unless you change that paper filter out often, flow will degrade and eventually that DOES affect MPG.

And even if you don't agree that flow affects MPG, we should be able to agree on the fact that throttle response is affected by flow.

Throttle response and WOT power yes. MPG - no.

Just throwing my two cents in...

I've used K&N filters in my last four cars (2007 Mustang GT/CS, 2004 Grand Prix GTP, 2001 Monte Carlo SS, 1998 Malibu) and had no problems with any of them. Since I trade often, the highest mileage was only 46K. However, my father had a K&N filter in his 1996 Astro Van and had over 140K when he traded it in and no problems.

I just added a K&N to my 2011 Edge Sport last week and I noticed a very slight improvement in acceleration, it just feels a little snappier. I'm very particular about my cars and usually notice any changes. Also, I just checked the mileage for the first time and got just over 27 on the highway at 70-75 on an 80 mile trip. I didn't check the mileage before.

My experience has been the same with the other cars, a little better throttle response and usually 3-5 mpg better than the window sticker on the highway. Never really checked city mpg. Overall, I would recommend them.

- Jason

My experience has been the same with the other cars, a little better throttle response and usually 3-5 mpg better than the window sticker on the highway. Never really checked city mpg.

If you got 3-5 mpg better than sticker on the hwy with the K&N then you would have gotten the same thing without it. Throttle response will seem better since you can get more air with the same opening.

The internet is a good source for people who have done some pretty decent empirical tests on the issue. Here is one example:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

The simple answer is it'll flow more air and filter less particulates than a stock filter. The real question is the added air flow potential of any benefit and is the reduced ability to filter particulates of any detriment to the engine?

My research and very finely calibrated butt dyno basically led me to the conclusion that a K&N filter is more of a perceived benefit than one that can be empirically measured. Added intake noise is right up there with the best of them for making a car feel faster - even better if it's a turbocharged car.

Modern vehicle airboxes with stock filters are no longer a restriction and are capable of flowing more air than the engine would ever need. In the quest to wring every ounce of efficiency, from mileage to power, out of modern engines the engineers have long since eliminated easy fixes such as airflow restrictions from an undersized or overly restrictive stock air filter.

K&N filters certainly let in more dirt than stock pleated paper filters, but does it cause engine damage? Who knows. I had one on my GTI for probably 70k of the 99k miles it has and it still runs just fine and doesn't burn oil. So I haven't seen any negative effects at this time.

Basically at this stage I'm just buying high quality paper air filters for all my cars and change them yearly since I didn't ever notice any real improvements in performance or mileage from the two vehicles (one turbocharged one normally aspirated) I've used K&N filters on.

So for me, I decided why would I want to use a filter that is less effective at the main job they're there for - filtering air if at best it's getting me a few added HP I can't even feel or measure?

Of course this is based on passenger vehicles......high horsepower, high revving, tuned, high performance engines are probably a whole 'nother deal.