Ford Edge Forum
Ron Jeremy

Major differences between Sync 3 1.0 and 3.0

Hey! Just took delivery of a 16 Edge Sport, super nice car. Coming from a loaded 14 Focus ST, there are some things I miss, but also some new things I really enjoy. 

Related to the Sync System, I'm not a huge fan of Apple Car play. I guess there's a USB module that needs to be changed out anyway to upgrade that. My question is, can I upgrade from Sync 3 v1 to v3 myself, via USB? Are there any real improvements over the versions? V1 in the car works flawlessly, although the maps are out of date on my regular commute. If it's working perfect, should I upgrade? What would I notice? Can I upgrade the maps without updating the whole system? 

Thx

The update from V1 to V3 is very easy and worth it, particularly if you decide to use Carplay (yes, you'll have to change the data ports).  Just go to the Ford website, register your Edge if you haven't already then click the 'owners' tab near the top of the page.  In the menu you'll be presented with click on Sync updates.  Another page comes up that will (we hope) tell you an update is available for your car.  Follow prompts to download the update to a PC then unzip the files to the root directory of a USB drive.  Pop that drive into one of the data ports and go for a drive or just sit in your driveway with the engine running (you don't want the battery to die in mid update).   After a few minutes you'll see a message on the screen telling you the system is being updated and eventually an all finished prompt telling you to remove the USB drive.  When you restart the Edge you'll see the updated version.  I can't really tell you what differences to expect.  Like you I purchased a pre-owned Edge but had the update up and running within minutes of taking delivery.  BTW, the over the air update is useless, don't even bother trying it.

Maps are a whole separate process from a different site and, unlike the Sync update, will cost you.  It's just over $100 if you download the new map set to your own flash drive, $160 if you want them to mail you a drive with the maps already loaded.  Here's a link to the map update page: https://ford.navigation.com/home/en_US/FordNA/USD

Have fun!

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

If you have an android phone all you need to do is follow Gadgetjq instructions and update your version of SYNC. You do not need a new USB hub for android auto.  Then google maps and waze will be interactive on your SYNC screen.

• Like 1

I've been looking for a changelog for each Sync release, and I can't. I don't think I'm going to update it if the only update is CarPlay. Takes an hour of the car idling, which is insane for a 4GB file. 

1 hour ago, Ron Jeremy said:

I've been looking for a changelog for each Sync release, and I can't. I don't think I'm going to update it if the only update is CarPlay. Takes an hour of the car idling, which is insane for a 4GB file. 

RJ,

For starters, I'm a big fan of the way you make your living. :clapping:

That said, the one hour time frame for the update actually includes logging onto Ford's website, downloading the file, unzipping it to the flash drive then installing it.  The 'real' time from the time you start your car and insert the flash drive is under a half hour so just go for a nice ride to lunch/dinner and let the system do its thing.

It's my understanding the 'big' change with V3 is the ability to use both CarPlay and Android Auto but it's also supposedly much faster and smoother with improved graphics.  Sync1 is so universally hated it's hard to imagine 'not' updating to V3 whether you intend to use CarPlay or not. 

Cheers!

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Haha 1

Car's got Sync 3, just not Sync 3 V3.4. My experience with Sync 2 out of the Focus was "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

Just now, Ron Jeremy said:

Car's got Sync 3, just not Sync 3 V3.4. My experience with Sync 2 out of the Focus was "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

Even though the USB hub in our cars are not certified as USB 3.0 If you use a 24-32GB 3.0 stick the install will take you about 15-20 minutes. Seems like the file is extracted on the USB and then installed into SYNC. Not 100% sure on that but I do know that I used a 3.0 stick, and the install time was less than half of the reported install time!

The only way you do not benefit from upgrading is if you have a windows phone, or a blackberry LOL.  Either way Android Auto and Carplay are light years above SYNC.

You can also use Waze without using CarPlay if you want to use that feature. it just comes up through the AppLink service on the bottom of the screen. It doesn't work as nicely as CarPlay does, but its at least an option