Major differences between Sync 3 1.0 and 3.0

Hey! Just took delivery of a 16 Edge Sport, super nice car. Coming from a loaded 14 Focus ST, there are some things I miss, but also some new things I really enjoy. 

Related to the Sync System, I'm not a huge fan of Apple Car play. I guess there's a USB module that needs to be changed out anyway to upgrade that. My question is, can I upgrade from Sync 3 v1 to v3 myself, via USB? Are there any real improvements over the versions? V1 in the car works flawlessly, although the maps are out of date on my regular commute. If it's working perfect, should I upgrade? What would I notice? Can I upgrade the maps without updating the whole system? 

Thx

The update from V1 to V3 is very easy and worth it, particularly if you decide to use Carplay (yes, you'll have to change the data ports).  Just go to the Ford website, register your Edge if you haven't already then click the 'owners' tab near the top of the page.  In the menu you'll be presented with click on Sync updates.  Another page comes up that will (we hope) tell you an update is available for your car.  Follow prompts to download the update to a PC then unzip the files to the root directory of a USB drive.  Pop that drive into one of the data ports and go for a drive or just sit in your driveway with the engine running (you don't want the battery to die in mid update).   After a few minutes you'll see a message on the screen telling you the system is being updated and eventually an all finished prompt telling you to remove the USB drive.  When you restart the Edge you'll see the updated version.  I can't really tell you what differences to expect.  Like you I purchased a pre-owned Edge but had the update up and running within minutes of taking delivery.  BTW, the over the air update is useless, don't even bother trying it.

Maps are a whole separate process from a different site and, unlike the Sync update, will cost you.  It's just over $100 if you download the new map set to your own flash drive, $160 if you want them to mail you a drive with the maps already loaded.  Here's a link to the map update page: https://ford.navigation.com/home/en_US/FordNA/USD

Have fun!

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ron Jeremy said:

I've been looking for a changelog for each Sync release, and I can't. I don't think I'm going to update it if the only update is CarPlay. Takes an hour of the car idling, which is insane for a 4GB file. 

RJ,

For starters, I'm a big fan of the way you make your living. :clapping:

That said, the one hour time frame for the update actually includes logging onto Ford's website, downloading the file, unzipping it to the flash drive then installing it.  The 'real' time from the time you start your car and insert the flash drive is under a half hour so just go for a nice ride to lunch/dinner and let the system do its thing.

It's my understanding the 'big' change with V3 is the ability to use both CarPlay and Android Auto but it's also supposedly much faster and smoother with improved graphics.  Sync1 is so universally hated it's hard to imagine 'not' updating to V3 whether you intend to use CarPlay or not. 

Cheers!

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ron Jeremy said:

Car's got Sync 3, just not Sync 3 V3.4. My experience with Sync 2 out of the Focus was "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". 

Even though the USB hub in our cars are not certified as USB 3.0 If you use a 24-32GB 3.0 stick the install will take you about 15-20 minutes. Seems like the file is extracted on the USB and then installed into SYNC. Not 100% sure on that but I do know that I used a 3.0 stick, and the install time was less than half of the reported install time!

The only way you do not benefit from upgrading is if you have a windows phone, or a blackberry LOL.  Either way Android Auto and Carplay are light years above SYNC.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Edge Titanium.   Mine is going from V1 to V3,  It's been going for an hour now and still says software updating.   I'm using a new usb 3.0 64gb stick.  Does it normally take that long for the update going from v1 to v3?   I was thinking the same thing on it hopefully going a little quicker using a usb 3.0 

51 minutes ago, Ron Jeremy said:

Man that terrifies me. Which port are you using in the dash? I plugged in an SSD and a USB stick and it didn’t recognize either. I’d be curious if there are any other changes outside of CarPlay that you notice. 

I was using the top port.  It recognized it right away and immediately went to software updating.  I started around 8:40am and finally gave up at 10:15/10:20, thinking it shouldn't take a hour and half.  Did the master reset still shows v1.   I read on another forum that it took someone 5hrs before it finally completed.  I don't feel comfortable letting the car idle for 5 hrs.  Apple car play was what I was going for with the update, knowing I'll have to change out the data ports to use it fully.  

2 hours ago, Cman7482 said:

I'm using a new usb 3.0 64gb stick.

The newer flash drive might be an issue.  I've read (but now can't find) posts indicating Sync has trouble reading files from a usb 3.0.  I know, it's supposed to be backward compatible but Sync apparently didn't get the memo.  Move the files to an older 2.0 drive (make sure everything is in root and there are no other files on the drive) and give it another shot.  My '16 updated from 1.0 to 3.0 in about 20 minutes. 

8 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

The newer flash drive might be an issue.  I've read (but now can't find) posts indicating Sync has trouble reading files from a usb 3.0.  I know, it's supposed to be backward compatible but Sync apparently didn't get the memo.  Move the files to an older 2.0 drive (make sure everything is in root and there are no other files on the drive) and give it another shot.  My '16 updated from 1.0 to 3.0 in about 20 minutes. 

I initially tried with 2.0 flash drive.   Same issue with it taking so long.  Does it matter with the size requirements, the 2.0 drive I had was a 8GB drive not 32.  Did you have any prompts (pop up screens)?  or Just software updating?

If I recall correctly (it's been 6 months) I saw a prompt at the top of the screen indicating an update was underway.  There was a pop up box when it finished that said something like 'the update will be visible when you restart the vehicle.'    OH!  Be sure the USB is formatted Fat32 and not Exfat as Ford advises in the instructions.  If your version of Windows won't format in Fat32 you'll have to download a little utility called Fat32Format.exe .   Here's a download link: https://download.cnet.com/FAT32format/3000-2094_4-77594227.html

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

If I recall correctly (it's been 6 months) I saw a prompt at the top of the screen indicating an update was underway.  There was a pop up box when it finished that said something like 'the update will be visible when you restart the vehicle.'    OH!  Be sure the USB is formatted Fat32 and not Exfat as Ford advises in the instructions.  If your version of Windows won't format in Fat32 you'll have to download a little utility called Fat32Format.exe .   Here's a download link: https://download.cnet.com/FAT32format/3000-2094_4-77594227.html

About to try again,  I've had it formatted to Exfat each time (on both devices) as ford advises.   If I get it to work I'll update here on the steps I took to get it install.  Appreciate the help!

Still ran for about an hour.  I'll have to wait until we have a long drive coming up and then I'll let it run all the way through.  I just hate to leave the car idling in the drive for that long or who know how long for it to take.   I figured if it wasn't done in the 30 min they advertise something wasn't going right with it. 

**Update**

We went to look at Christmas Lights this evening so I thought I'd give it another go since we would be in the car for a while.   It did work, took right at 2 hours for it to update. 

I used the USB 2.0 (8GB) drive formatted to the Fat32 using the top port with no other devices plugged in.  

Once it completed I got excited and accidentally pulled the drive out forgetting that after the reboot it was suppose to copy a file for me to report to Ford.

Stopped and power cycled the ignition and radio so now it shows V3.0.  However my NAV wouldn't load up which leads me to believe that I didn't do it correctly or just didn't give it enough time before removing the drive ?.   

We will be going back out Friday so if the NAV doesn't load up by then I'll give it another go.

Edited by Cman7482
Incorrect Info

9 hours ago, Cman7482 said:

**Update**

We went to look at Christmas Lights this evening so I thought I'd give it another go since we would be in the car for a while.   It did work, took right at 2 hours for it to update. 

I used the USB 2.0 (8GB) drive formatted to the Fat32 using the top port with no other devices plugged in.  

Once it completed I got excited and accidentally pulled the drive out forgetting that after the reboot it was suppose to copy a file for me to report to Ford.

Stopped and power cycled the ignition and radio so now it shows V3.0.  However my NAV wouldn't load up which leads me to believe that I didn't do it correctly or just didn't give it enough time before removing the drive ?.   

We will be going back out Friday so if the NAV doesn't load up by then I'll give it another go.

Try a soft reboot (I think you hold the volume and right seek (next track) button for a few seconds (>>!).   Nav should work after that (or it may work on next vehicle startup but this is a common issue with sync3 updates.

• 2 weeks later...

SOLVED:

In one of my tech kits, I found a USB 2.0 Flash Drive a client gave me and I re-attempted the Sync upgrade thinking "maybe the port can't read a USB 3.0/3.1 device". Plugged it into the top port in the center stack and...

Eureka! 

Updated from Sync 3 v1.0 to 3.0 in about 20 minutes flat. Maps didn't load until I cycled the ignition and opened the doors to reboot the electronics, but after that it looks to be successful. It retained my audio settings, bluetooth connections, which is good. Apple CarPlay doesn't work at all, I guess I need to swap out the USB ports in the console? I'm not going to do that. I'm' worried if I tear out the console and plug in new ports that it'll start to creak and rattle like it did in my Focus when I installed a new shifter in it.

I wish the map update was also free, I'm not sure how I feel about spending $100 on a map update. That being said, there's been a ton of road construction in my area in the last 4 years and the maps in the car are quite out of date. Is there a cheaper/free option vs ordering the maps from ford for $100 or $140? 

P.S. I formatted the USB drive to FAT32 (Master Boot Record) and set up the folder structure as follows in the photo attached. This is per the instructions if you were to install the update via Windows, not MacOS....

Here's a link to the USB Device I used, the Sandisk Cruzer Force 16GB: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C9Q5PGM/ref=twister_B00EVO6ETC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 3.48.56 PM.png

Edited by Ron Jeremy

Ron J wrote: "Is there a cheaper/free option vs ordering the maps from ford for $100 or $140?"

There is a much cheaper way.  Now that you're running version 3 you can use Android auto or Apple Carplay along with either Google Maps or Waze.  Plug your phone into the USB data port and give permissions for the appropriate app.  You'll enjoy always updated maps and current traffic conditions on your dashboard screen.. For FREE!

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 5:40 PM, Gadgetjq said:

Ron J wrote: "Is there a cheaper/free option vs ordering the maps from ford for $100 or $140?"

There is a much cheaper way.  Now that you're running version 3 you can use Android auto or Apple Carplay along with either Google Maps or Waze.  Plug your phone into the USB data port and give permissions for the appropriate app.  You'll enjoy always updated maps and current traffic conditions on your dashboard screen.. For FREE!

No dice, I need to take apart the center console to replace the USB hub under the radio if I want to use CarPlay 

3 hours ago, Ron Jeremy said:

No dice, I need to take apart the center console to replace the USB hub under the radio if I want to use CarPlay 

Getting the OEM usb port out and putting a new one in is really simple.  All of your center console panels are held in by clips that release easily.  This YouTube video shows you the step by step to get the entire APIM out...you don't have to go nearly that far.    There's supposed to be a video showing how to get the USB module out without removing anything but the right side console panel but I couldn't find it.    Another option, just switch to Android (kidding).

• Like 1