OBDLink Announces New Wired OBDII Reader

Gadgetjq

OBDLink, which makes the highly regarded bluetooth and wifi code readers LX, MX and MX+ now has a reader for those who prefer the speed and security of a wired reader.  The new OBDLink EX is billed as being faster and more accurate than the wired units many Ford owners use now with FORScan and there's no switch to deal with.  Here's a link: https://amzn.to/36xWwLP

image.thumb.png.bd3295f53d28d924373704c6f2867e1d.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I have been using the EX for about a month and it is spot on. Absolutely no Issues. Using it with a windows laptop. Also have the MX 'bluetooth' unit. Use it with a Kindle fire for dashboard. Usually have a problem connecting, but once connected it is great.I don't blame the MX, it is probably something I have set incorrectly. I have to go into settings and check that it is set to bluetooth and then it connects. That's my two cents.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EDGE ST said:

Usually have a problem connecting, but once connected it is great.I don't blame the MX, it is probably something I have set incorrectly. I have to go into settings and check that it is set to bluetooth and then it connects. That's my two cents.

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the MX, might be a cause for your connection issues. Connecting with the OBDlink should prompt you for the update. MX reached Firmware V4.6.1, also the EX reached V5.1.3.

Does anyone know if OBDLink has discontinued the MX+ model? I received one as a Christmas present and have not used it yet.  I was  searching the internet yesterday and noticed that Amazon and other merchants indicate the MX+ is out of stock.  It was advertised with life time updates an and a 3 year satisfaction guarantee.  

That's an interesting find.  The MX+ is still posted in the 'products' section at OBDLink but clicking links to both Amazon and Scantool bring up 'out of stock' messages as BillE mentioned. 

Good news though. Recent updates to the MX+ are posted on Scantool.net so no worries, we haven't been abandoned.  I'm going to speculate it's a supply chain problem with so many shipments from China now being held up due to Coronavirus.

Edit to add: I've just reached out to OBDLink asking why the MX+ is out of stock at their two primary outlets.  I don't expect an answer today but will update this thread when I do receive a reply.
image.thumb.png.3723445702c1f427a75b6cb61e6b55cd.png

Edited by Gadgetjq

Gadjetjq,

Your speculation was right on.   Below is OBDLink's reponse to my questioning if the MX+ was discontinued.

Hi William,

Not at all. MX+ has not been discontinued. We are just out of stock.
Due to manufacturing delays caused by the recent Coronavirus outbreak, we are experiencing significant supply disruptions. Unfortunately this is impacting the availability of OBDLink MX+.  Once inventory levels return to normal you will see availability return to normal.

Best,
Micah
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 8:19 AM, BillE said:

Does anyone know if OBDLink has discontinued the MX+ model? I received one as a Christmas present and have not used it yet.  I was  searching the internet yesterday and noticed that Amazon and other merchants indicate the MX+ is out of stock.  It was advertised with life time updates an and a 3 year satisfaction guarantee.  

On 3/15/2020 at 8:37 AM, Gadgetjq said:

That's an interesting find.  The MX+ is still posted in the 'products' section at OBDLink but clicking links to both Amazon and Scantool bring up 'out of stock' messages as BillE mentioned. 

Good news though. Recent updates to the MX+ are posted on Scantool.net so no worries, we haven't been abandoned.  I'm going to speculate it's a supply chain problem with so many shipments from China now being held up due to Coronavirus.

Edit to add: I've just reached out to OBDLink asking why the MX+ is out of stock at their two primary outlets.  I don't expect an answer today but will update this thread when I do receive a reply.
image.thumb.png.3723445702c1f427a75b6cb61e6b55cd.png

i just ordered one yesterday from Amazon.  The ScanTool.net sight is still showing none available.

On 3/13/2020 at 5:14 PM, EDGE ST said:

I have been using the EX for about a month and it is spot on. Absolutely no Issues. Using it with a windows laptop. Also have the MX 'bluetooth' unit. Use it with a Kindle fire for dashboard. Usually have a problem connecting, but once connected it is great.I don't blame the MX, it is probably something I have set incorrectly. I have to go into settings and check that it is set to bluetooth and then it connects. That's my two cents.

Are you using Forscan as the dashboard on the Kindle Fire?  If so can you change the settings to show Fahrenheit and also PSI versus the metric equivalent ?