For Those that have Tuned The Edge ST

vmaxbaby

So for those that have a tune and I know some of you have now been running a tune for almost a year what is your thoughts.   Have you had an negative side effects from it?  I called this morning to talk with LMS and the sales guys said the tune does make the transmission shift harder so wondering how much harder?  I have the latest TSB done for the Transmission and right now it shifts the way it should have from day one so I don't need a tune for that although it comes with it I just want some more get up and go from a dig.  So wanted to see who all has tuned,  who tuned it, and what your thoughts are now that you have it done.

Thank you all in advance.

6 minutes ago, vmaxbaby said:

So for those that have a tune and I know some of you have now been running a tune for almost a year what is your thoughts.   Have you had an negative side effects from it?  I called this morning to talk with LMS and the sales guys said the tune does make the transmission shift harder so wondering how much harder?  I have the latest TSB done for the Transmission and right now it shifts the way it should have from day one so I don't need a tune for that although it comes with it I just want some more get up and go from a dig.  So wanted to see who all has tuned,  who tuned it, and what your thoughts are now that you have it done.

Thank you all in advance.

It does make it shift harder but not bad.  Just more with authority when you are getting 'on' it a lot.  In normal driving it is like Sport mode shifts buy in normal mode.  You can ask them to give you Comfort shifts instead of the Performance ones though it you like.  Since you get 4 tunes at once you could do like a 93 Performance one and a 93 Comfort and then maybe a 91 Performance and 87-89 Performance .  I personally like  the way it shifts now.  Even after the TSB, it still shifts great.  Like a 'Sport' vehicle should shift.  I have had my tune like 8 months and the vehicle 12.  I love the tune and miss it when I remove it, for the shifting and gas pedal tuning alone.  Power is great and delivered earlier but throttle response and trans programing is what really make me happier.  Well that and more boost in 1st and 2nd.  I have the LMS Perf 93, Perf 91, and Perf 87-89 tunes and use just the 93 since I have that readily available. 

Thank you for the update Jamie.   I go back and forth if I should tune it or even been thinking about the explorer ST but it isn't perfect either.  For the price of these vehicles you would think they would be more dialed in.  Or better yet if Ford Performance would have truly worked on the tune that would have been a plus also.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Gregertech said:

It might sound counter intuitive but I'm curious about the gas mileage you get when running the 93 performance tune and driving normal. 

I don't drive normal.  My gas mileage sucked before the tune and is a hair better with the tune.  Vehicle computer says my average for the last 13,000 miles is 18.1mpg.  The Fuely Application, when I was using it, said my mileage was closer to 16.9mpg.  I floor it a lot and get up to speed as quick as this beast can get there.  I also remote start the vehicle in the winter a lot so that drops it and I live in the Northern half of the US where we get 'Winter' Gas for 6 months of the year, which lessens mileage.  Before the tune I was clocking 17 on the car computer and 15.9 on the Fuely App. 

In my case, I had the resonator replaced with just piping.  I do not hear any added exhaust noise at highway speed.  When using more throttle in town/to merge onto the interstate, I do near a bit more exhaust.  Also, I have the stock filter.

Edited by Sage

On 2/19/2020 at 9:08 PM, Nick Halstead said:

GEEZ! I get 20mpg in my Sport and every 60secs is a race for me!

I ended with 15.2mpg according to the computer for that tank.  I did not use Fuely as I gave up on chasing any kind of good numbers and just drive it like I am running from a cop.  But even though I live out of town I do not drive nicely at all even in town so it is all good.  That number is just low because I just got the updated tune and just started using 93 again, plus it is winter gas as well.  I had been running the 87-89 because I am kind of unemployed right now so I wanted to save the 8 bucks a week on the fill-up but that got boring.  Lol!

Unleashed is offering tuning services for the ST now. Torrie's easy to work with and has a good rep with the ecoboost platform. They also offer choices with programmer options from SCT, HPTuners etc. I'm not a fan of having to use someones proprietary programing device.

I will give Unleashed serious consideration if I decide to tune my Nautilus. They even offered to send me a programmer to read the stock tune file to make sure they can work with it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2020 at 7:04 PM, Gregertech said:

I filled up with 93 octane and installed the LMS performance tune for the first time yesterday and Wow! The ST just wants to go, the traction control light is always flashing and I'm hardly pushing it.

Yep, I've been running the LMS 93 tune for a few months now (was running their 89 tune before that).  With less people on the road and just going to-from the office, the car was saying 24.5mpg and Fuelly put me at 23 on the last tank....I'm pretty impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tuned my 2017 Fusion Sport, and the PCM/TCM is 99.999% the same as the Edge Sport/ST because they are the same engine and transmission. You guys just have about 400 lb more weight than the Fusion. I can get 28 mpg highway, but average about 22-23 mpg in normal driving. The transmission in my 17 Fusion Sport doesn't shift as well as the 6F55 in my 2014 SHO. All I did with the SHO was slightly increase line pressure and slightly increase torque limits during shifting. It felt fine. My 17 Sport came from the factory with a horrible delay in the 1-2 and 2-3. I ran it at the track 2 years ago with an initial early tune of mine and ran 12.7 @ 108. I've greatly improved the tune but haven't had a chance to run it. I found quickly the 2.7 lacks a lot of low end torque. My SHO was producing 100+ ft-lb more torque at 2700-3000 RPM than the Fusion Sport, and the 2.7 makes the most torque during launch at about 4000+ RPM. So you need to powerbrake the snot out of the engine to avoid bogging. My 60' was 1.8x same as the SHO, but the SHO just launched harder and faster, even though it was a 200 lb heavier vehicle. The 3.5 is just a better engine.

My transmission is always covered in a thin coat of ATF, and my oil pan is seeping at the front right corner. About 2 summers ago, the entire right underbody of the car from the front to the exhaust tips was covered in oil that dripped all over the place. It wasn't ATF, didn't smell like gear oil, and felt almost like engine oil or tar. My oil levels seemed fine so I never figured out what it was.

BTW - back to the OP's post... I used Ford IDS and FJDS to check for any updates to the PCM and TCM last summer, and didn't find one other than an update for the PCM. I ran that update on my dad's 2017 Fusion Sport then did a comparison with my PCM - Ford only changed 1 table that I could access (O2 sensor tip temperature) and nothing else.

Edited by Metroplex
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...