Reporting data to Ford?

Hi,

I just read in my local newspaper that most modern cars report all kinds of data to their manufacturers and I am wondering if my 2009 Edge does that?

It is equipped SYNC powered by Microsoft and once a week I hear a voice from the radio if I'm interested in a car health report I need to push the OK button, which I have never found on my radio (the original one with the 6 CD changer).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Ed

Apparently, my radio does not know that. I heard this message last week and the week before.

And it does not answer my question about reporting data to Ford.

If Ford servers can contact my radio it stands to reason that my radio can contact Ford, or?

Would it help if I replaced the radio with a new head unit?

The voice prompts your Pioneer 6-CD radio is offering about Sync Vehicle Health Reports are not due to Ford servers contacting your vehicle, but rather are the result of the Automatic Reminder setup for Vehicle Health Reports in your 2009 Edge's Sync system.

If you refer to page 36 of the 2009 Sync Supplemental Guide (direct PDF download link), you will find the entry sequence for turning off those Automatic Reminders.

That Supplemental Guide covers all functions of your Sync system and should enable you to utilize Sync to the fullest using a Bluetooth-capable cell phone or other USB-connected media device.

The Sync Terms and Conditions web site page includes privacy-related descriptions of data that may be collected through your cell phone connection when using Sync Services.

Other owner references for your 2009 Edge are available via this Ford website page link.

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since I've never encountered your issue, I poked around the web and discovered the Ford web page offering the manuals that weren't available to you.

Your question helped me learn something new.

We're all here to help and be helped by others.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

The omniscience of akirby on all-things-Ford causes me to reluctantly mention this online article that describes the preservation of Sync function by using the iDatalink Maestro and appropriate accessory cables when installing certain aftermarket radios.

These videos show the complexity of such installations, but hey -- if you have a Ford & enough money & patience & money & time & money -- you can achieve almost anything.

Did I mention money?

Edited by Haz