Disappointed with Livernois tuner for 2.0L...

2FAST4U

Has anyone here tried the Livernois "Mycalibrator" touch tuner for the 2.0L engine? If "yes" is it worth it? I'm asking because I might be interested in getting one but at $600. I'd like some feedback about before buying… :headscratch:

LINK: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631154

… And what about their "Throttle enhancer" ?  Worth it or not? :shrug:

LINK: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP690401

Thanks,

Claude.:)

Edited by 2FAST4U

On 26 décembre 2019 at 10:29 PM, Nick Halstead said:

The 2.0 they used on the dyno for the tune is a member here. Pretty sure a search will pull it up

Thank you Nick for your reply… However, I didn't really find a clear answer as to should I buy a tuner or not… :shrug:

One other thing… I went on Livernois' site and read the instructions for that specific tuner and they say it comes without any tunes already downloaded in it and to e-mail them the vehicle's serial number, the "ECU code and "SW" code (whatever that is…:headscratch:)…I'm not really at ease with spending $600. for a tuner which comes "empty" and then rely on the seller to e-mail me some tunes… Heck, I e-mailed them for more info and they never replied to me!!… and just the fact that they don't even care to reply to a simple e-mail doesn't look very good for me to have confidence in them!… :huh:

21 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Thank you Nick for your reply… However, I didn't really find a clear answer as to should I buy a tuner or not… :shrug:

One other thing… I went on Livernois' site and read the instructions for that specific tuner and they say it comes without any tunes already downloaded in it and to e-mail them the vehicle's serial number, the "ECU code and "SW" code (whatever that is…:headscratch:)…I'm not really at ease with spending $600. for a tuner which comes "empty" and then rely on the seller to e-mail me some tunes… Heck, I e-mailed them for more info and they never replied to me!!… and just the fact that they don't even care to reply to a simple e-mail doesn't look very good for me to have confidence in them!… :huh:

They send you the tuner and you use it to get the codes needed to the tune to your vehicle.  They do not actually email the tunes to you, you install the software on your PC and the tunes are then downloaded to your PC and transferred to the tune device.  Very simple process.  And for the $600 you get up to 4 tunes and free updates and the ability to switch tunes.  It comes with 87-89 Performance, 91 Performance and 93 Performance tunes, you could add a tow tune for the 4th or even an E30 tune.  If your software gets updated on your car for say a TSB or something then they update your tune files for free.  If you want a Comfort shifting tune instead of Performance then you get that for free as well if you request it.  And it takes them a while to respond via email to question, better to call them as they, like other tuners, are small.  I have had their tune on my ST for the last 9 months with no issues. 

Oh and no need for the throttle enhancer if you get a tune, as the throttle response is already enhanced by the tune. 

Edited by jamie1073

Thanks "jamie1073" for explaining, now I understand better. I have a laptop with windows 7 so I guess I should be good to get the updates….and since you have it on your ST, did it really made a big improvement …or not as expected?… In other words, was it worth it?.. and last, can you go back to the stock programming if needed (like going to the dealer for some warranty work or selling the car)?

Thank you,

Claude. ;)

1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

Thanks "jamie1073" for explaining, now I understand better. I have a laptop with windows 7 so I guess I should be good to get the updates….and since you have it on your ST, did it really made a big improvement …or not as expected?… In other words, was it worth it?.. and last, can you go back to the stock programming if needed (like going to the dealer for some warranty work or selling the car)?

Thank you,

Claude. ;)

In the cold temps on the same road measured with my Draggy I get a 0-60 of between 5.65-5.8 stock.  With the 93 tune on I get 5.07-5.18 consistently.  So yeah it is an improvement.  Even on the 87-89 octane tune I got a 0-60 today of 5.18s and 1/4 of 13.68@99.29mph.  Good gains but the best part is the increased midrange around town power gains and better throttle response and in the ST's case better shifting in the trans, more like a 'Sport SUV' should shift like.  All in all it woke the vehicle up and well worth the $600. And if they revise the tune further in the future I just need to ask for the update.  And the 2.0 gets a much better boost in power than the 2.7 does, at least as far as the 2019 2.7 is concerned. 

Edited by jamie1073
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I received the tuner last week but only got to play with it today. First I downloaded the software on my computer (using Windows 7) but I had some problem making the tuner connect with the app so I asked one of my friends who is a computer genius (compared to me! :hysterical:) and he was able to find out the problem.  Now I have to go in the car to retrieve some info and send it to them. This is where I stand now… but I will come back and post more info soon...

Claude. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

I hope you have spent the last few hours enjoying the tune!

When you receive the tuner, it is "empty" and you have to do what I explained in my last post (which is to download the software in your PC and connect it to the tuner and register it). I'm not quite done yet as I still have to send Livernois the info they need ( serial # from device, vehicle make, year and model, what kind of engine, what's the octane rating of the fuel you intend to use, ECU strategy code and SW id number (whatever that is, etc…) for them to make some custom-made tunes for my car. After you received the tunes, you download them in the tuner using the software in your PC. Then, when all of that is done you take the tuner in your vehicle and download the tune of your choice… and next… have fun! :yahoo:Can't wait to try it!… :spiteful:

Claude.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

I'm a little disappointed today… Again I am not able to have the tuner to connect to the PC!… I was able to read and save the vehicle's stock program but when I went back to my PC, I wasn't able to make it connect anymore. This is getting frustrating!. :swear:

Claude.:shrug:

When I got Livernoise Tuner I also had some connectivity issues, turned out to be the date setting on my PC! I usually have it in dd-MMM-yyyy (24-Jan-2020). Changed it to dd/mm/yy and it connected.

Yesterday evening, I was little frustrated about the fact that my tuner would no longer connect with my PC after Livernois sent me an update to upload in the tuner so I turned everything off and went to bed. This morning, I turned the PC back on and thought I'd give it another try… and this time, it did connect! :yahoo: I guess that it's because after uploading the update, I needed to restart the PC but I just didn't know… :huh:  I sent Livernois the stock tune so they can make me some custom tunes… This might take a few days so, more updates later!

On 1/24/2020 at 9:44 PM, 2FAST4U said:

Yesterday evening, I was little frustrated about the fact that my tuner would no longer connect with my PC after Livernois sent me an update to upload in the tuner so I turned everything off and went to bed. This morning, I turned the PC back on and thought I'd give it another try… and this time, it did connect! :yahoo: I guess that it's because after uploading the update, I needed to restart the PC but I just didn't know… :huh:  I sent Livernois the stock tune so they can make me some custom tunes… This might take a few days so, more updates later!

You get it working yet?

2 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

You get it working yet?

Nick, here's the latest message I got from them last Friday:

"Claude,

Glad to hear you were able to get that stock read sent over to the server now.  I have sent the read and information over to the head calibrators now and will let you know soon as i hear back from them with some good news which will most likely take a bit longer than usual since this is a new ECU strategy code.  Unfortunately when there's a brand new code like this for example that's not yet been requested previously they have to build new tunes and that takes more time than our usually 1-2 business day turnaround times on already supported codes.  I have requested tunes for both low and high octane fuels and once they have become available to me I'll upload them and assign them to your tuner so you can download them when done.  I thank you very much for your patience and cooperation on this and I hope you have a wonderful weekend Claude!"

So now, I'm waiting to hear from them.

Claude. ;)
Edited by 2FAST4U

17 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

Oh wow. So they been marketing for something they could not fully provide.

It takes a minute or two to customize the tune for the specific vehicle Strategy Code.  If it is a code they have seen before then it is quicker than if it is a new code.  When I got my last TSB performed it changed mine so the old tunes did not work any longer and I needed them updated.  I sent them the information needed and within 2 days I got the new tune.  This is no different than with any other tuners, you send them the information that they require and they make the tune for you.  The Livernois tunes are canned but they still do need to be tweaked for different codes. 

On 1/29/2020 at 8:55 AM, jamie1073 said:

It takes a minute or two to customize the tune for the specific vehicle Strategy Code.  If it is a code they have seen before then it is quicker than if it is a new code.  When I got my last TSB performed it changed mine so the old tunes did not work any longer and I needed them updated.  I sent them the information needed and within 2 days I got the new tune.  This is no different than with any other tuners, you send them the information that they require and they make the tune for you.  The Livernois tunes are canned but they still do need to be tweaked for different codes. 

yes I know how strategy codes work and tuning. Never seen anyone wait longer than 48hrs