19 ST Gear Indicator

Sage

11 hours ago, bobyellow said:

Not on the dash. You can use a WiFi/BT ODB2 adapter to a phone. I have my phone on a vent and that works ok.

What app are you using that shows gear selection on the phone?  I use Torque Pro regularly and it can show a display for practically everything in the Edge but (as far as I'm aware) not the current gear.

I have talked with the service advisor at the dealer I have used for the trans software updates.  He is going to get with Ford tech support and see if that can be done.  I know this will take some time, but will post what he can find out.  

This is the same advisor that kept getting with Ford support about turning off the fake piped in exhaust note into the cabin.  It turned out that note could be turned off by a Ford tech.  I am sure Ford’s first response will be, no, but that is what the said about the exhaust note.  

22 minutes ago, Sage said:

I have talked with the service advisor at the dealer I have used for the trans software updates.  He is going to get with Ford tech support and see if that can be done.  I know this will take some time, but will post what he can find out.  

This is the same advisor that kept getting with Ford support about turning off the fake piped in exhaust note into the cabin.  It turned out that note could be turned off by a Ford tech.  I am sure Ford’s first response will be, no, but that is what the said about the exhaust note.  

My 2020 ST under full throttle noise is just like a high revving engine winding out. Doesn't seem to sound like exhaust to me. Is this the noise you hear or is my 20 different or maybe we just don't like different sounds.

Would love to have gear number indicated also.

Edited by dajo2012

My 19 had an exhaust note piped in when in sport mode.  You could tell it was a fake, to me anyway, exhaust sound.  I have been told that the 2020 ST does not have the piped in exhaust note like the 2019, not sure if that is true.

I had the dealer turn it off and now it sounds like you noted.  I do have a bit more exhaust sound, as I had the res removed and just have the muffler.  

5 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

That's probably the fake engine noise mentioned earlier.  It can be turned off using FORScan (doesn't need a Ford tech).
image.thumb.png.ca60262febf4719ec727d4119915170d.pngNote the DSP change may not be necessary for an Edge.

That is my understanding as well, but at the time I had it done at the dealer, the forscan info had not been posted.  When it was, the cost for me turned out to be about the same as the dealer as I did and still do not have any forscan setup.  The dealer did give me a discount as they wanted to see it done also. 

I find what I hear to be a pleasing sound and real so maybe they changed the 2020.

Missed the part about being in sport mode have not tried that.  Only had it is sport a couple of times.  Would be interesting to hear a recording of the 2019 sound. 

Edited by dajo2012

7 minutes ago, Sage said:

That is my understanding as well, but at the time I had it done at the dealer, the forscan info had not been posted.  When it was, the cost for me turned out to be about the same as the dealer as I did and still do not have any forscan setup.  The dealer did give me a discount as they wanted to see it done also. 

Anyone around the Phoenix area have a forscan and know how to use it:?

29 minutes ago, dajo2012 said:

Currently not ready to do anything, but was thinking about the mirror tilt.

The mirror tilt FORScan mod is, IMHO, more bother than it's worth.  You still end up pressing the mirror switch to determine the 'one' mirror you want to tilt down and some have reported side effects with other systems.

There's a better way unless you're using all three mirror/seat memory settings.  When you're in the Edge and have your seat/mirrors set for normal driving tilt both mirrors down.  Aim them whatever way you desire then press and hold the third memory button on the door.  Presto.  You now have the ability to tilt 'both' mirrors down with the simple press of a button.  If you've turned on fob memory you can just leave the mirrors down after parking.  The Edge will see your fob the next time you hit the 'start' button and move the mirrors back up to your preferred setting.

Edited by Gadgetjq
fix typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

The mirror tilt FORScan mod is, IMHO, more bother than it's worth.  You still end up pressing the mirror switch to determine the 'one' mirror you want to tilt down and some have reported side effects with other systems.

There's a better way unless you're using all three mirror/seat memory settings.  When you're in the Edge and have your seat/mirrors set for normal driving tilt both mirrors down.  Aim them whatever way you desire then press and hold the third memory button on the door.  Presto.  You now have the ability to tilt 'both' mirrors down with the simple press of a button.  If you've turned on fob memory you can just leave the mirrors down after parking.  The Edge will see your fob the next time you hit the 'start' button and move the mirrors back up to your preferred setting.

Agreed and already done.  Thanks

13 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

What other issues were reported with this mod? Don't remember reading about them.

Also, with the 3rd memory button way, wouldn't you have to shift to Park or Neutral to activate, so it actually has an extra step compared to the ForScan mod. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, omar302 said:

What other issues were reported with this mod? Don't remember reading about them.

Also, with the 3rd memory button way, wouldn't you have to shift to Park or Neutral to activate, so it actually has an extra step compared to the ForScan mod. 

I recall a forum (don't remember which one) post last year where someone was having issues and started returning changes he'd made with FORScan back to stock.  The problem vanished when he restored the mirror tilt setting.  Obviously it doesn't happen often or forums would be full of posts about it.  When it comes to FORScan I almost always mention the possibility one change could affect something else and remind users to log their changes and back everything up....always.

As for another step, not really.  The only time I (and suspect most) use the mirrors tilted down is when I'm backing up.  If you're in Drive you're going to go through neutral to get to reverse anyway.  How much brain power does it take to press a button on the way to reverse.  If you're already in park getting ready to reverse, just hit the #3 button.  The upside with this method; 'both' of your mirrors can dip simultaneously, you don't have to press the mirror button (speaking of extra steps) when shifting to Reverse to pick a mirror. 

The great thing is, everyone has the option to do the 'dip' either way or not do it all and just motor down a mirror if needed.  There's no right way or wrong way.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:50 PM, bobyellow said:

I use a free one (Engine Scanner).

Thanks very much for the reply.  I guess that's iOS only, I don't see it in the Play Store. 
Edit to add: there's no app named "Engine Scanner" in Apple's App Store either.  Are you sure that's the name?  What OS are you using?   Thanks!

Edited by Gadgetjq
Add info

• 2 weeks later...