Low Oil Pressure warning keeps coming on!!!

vtchopperdude

We've owned our Edge for about 1.5 years now and love it! But...........we keep having issues with the low oil pressure light coming on, and shutting the car down while driving. I've changed the oil pressure sensor twice now, so I don't believe it's a switch issue. Oil changes don't seem to affect it. The only real pattern that we've noticed is that it happens when slowing down and turning. For example, my wife will turn into our driveway, and the sensor will go off, and the car shuts down. Or, she will be pulling into a parking lot, and it will shut down in a slow turn. So, I figured it was low on oil, so I've added oil several times after it happens, making sure not to overfill it, but it doesn't seem to solve the issue. Once the car shuts itself down, it will start right back up with no warning lights on, and drives fine. It almost seems like an electrical issue. I haven't taken it to the dealer because there is no check engine light on, and my local dealership charges a $125 diagnostic fee just to look at the car!! We're not at that point yet, but it's becoming frustrating. Has anyone had this issue??

Until proven with a pressure gauge, always trust the low oil pressure switch, and the fact that it happens when turning which would cause the oil flow towards the side of the sump possibly allowing the oil pump suction to draw air.

If it happens immediately after an oil change where the correct amount of oil was used (not based on dip stick), then definitely get an oil pressure gauge temporarily installed to monitor the pressure, and if it still drops only on corners it would be time to pull the sumpp and inspect.

If I am reading this correctly, the oil pressure light is coming while the engine is shutting down and the engine shutdown happens at slow engine speeds. I feel that the engine oil light is coming because the engine was shutting. In other words, it's the opposite of what you think. You need to find out why the engine is shutting down. Check for codes stored in through the OBD port. If no codes are present, try cleaning the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor.

6 hours ago, omar302 said:

If I am reading this correctly, the oil pressure light is coming while the engine is shutting down and the engine shutdown happens at slow engine speeds. I feel that the engine oil light is coming because the engine was shutting. In other words, it's the opposite of what you think. You need to find out why the engine is shutting down. Check for codes stored in through the OBD port. If no codes are present, try cleaning the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor.

No. The low oil pressure light comes on, and as a safety feature, the car shuts itself off. After it shuts itself off, I shift into park, and it will then start right back up with no low oil pressure light on, and drive fine. If it were truly sustained low oil pressure, the engine would have grenaded itself 20k miles ago.

13 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Until proven with a pressure gauge, always trust the low oil pressure switch, and the fact that it happens when turning which would cause the oil flow towards the side of the sump possibly allowing the oil pump suction to draw air.

That's my initial thought, but after adding oil, and changing the switch, we're still having issues.

13 hours ago, 1004ron said:

If it happens immediately after an oil change where the correct amount of oil was used (not based on dip stick), then definitely get an oil pressure gauge temporarily installed to monitor the pressure, and if it still drops only on corners it would be time to pull the sumpp and inspect.

And no, it doesn't seem to have issues after an oil change. We got the oil changed, and drove it about 2k miles without issue a few months back.

51 minutes ago, vtchopperdude said:

And no, it doesn't seem to have issues after an oil change. We got the oil changed, and drove it about 2k miles without issue a few months back.

As a process of elimination, I would do an oil change filling it with the spec quantity of oil, note where on the dipstick that is, use an OEM oil filter, then monitor it frequently from there.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:45 PM, vtchopperdude said:

No. The low oil pressure light comes on, and as a safety feature, the car shuts itself off.

I wasn't aware that there is a safety switch connected to the oil pressure switch. Is that confirmed to be correct on the Edge? It would be really good to have the piece of mind that it is there.

This is what is stated in the 2016 Owners Manual:

Engine Oil
Missing Image  If it illuminates with the engine running or when you are driving, this indicates a malfunction. Stop your vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so and switch the engine off. Check the engine oil level.   See  Engine Oil Check
Note Do not resume your journey if it illuminates despite the level being correct. Have the system checked by your authorized dealer immediately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I'm not aware of any automatic engine shutdown for low oil pressure.   I think it's the shutdown triggering the oil light and the throttle body is the most likely culprit.

Ok, you guys are AWESOME!!! This is why I love forums; helping each other diagnosis problems. Soooooooooooooo...................the car has been doing this shutdown almost once a day now, and my wife is afraid to drive it. So, I drove it to work today. It started fine, no issues, and drove to work without issue. I started the car fine at lunch and drove to a gas station to fill up. After the fill up, I hit the start button and the starter just cranks over and over and over and over. No start. I try again, same thing, the starter just cranks, and cranks, and cranks. I sit there for about a minute pondering what is happening. I try again, and it cranks, but stumbles to start, and then finally kicks over. I drive it home. As I'm pulling in the driveway, it shuts itself down again. This is where the oil pressure light comes on. My wife has just given me the run down of " the oil pressure light comes on and then the car shuts down." I think you guys are correct, in that the car shuts down, which triggers the low oil pressure light, which tricks you into thinking that's the issue.

With that, I pulled the codes. I get 2 codes.

P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich, Bank 1 Sensor 1

P219A - Bank 1 Air-Fuel Ratio Imbalance

With that, I guess I'm having an 02 sensor issue that is giving an incorrect reading, and messing with the mixture. Again, this shut down issue only occurs at low speeds when slowing down and the car is essentially idling.

With that, am I just looking at swapping an O2 sensor here???

IMG_5400.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

• Like 1

Ok fellas, so I changed the O2 sensor and it cleared the P219A code. However, I still have the P2196 code.

Looking at some other threads, it sounds like my symptoms (hard start after getting gas) may be pointing to the canister purge valve. However, I can't seem to find the part for the 2.0L. I stopped by Napa and they have the canister purge valve for the V6 engines, but not the I4. But again, the 3 symptoms of the leaky purge valve (hard start after gas, running rich, and rough idle) are occurring on my Edge.

Any advice on this? I do NOT have a code for a leaky canister purge valve however.

Thoughts?

So, it looks like I need part 9U5A-9G866-AA, which seems to be very hard to find. I tried all the local automotive stores in town and not only do they not have it, but they can't get it. I'll try the dealership in the morning, but I have a feeling they'll have to order it. If the valve is the issue and truly causing it to run rich, then I don't want to keep driving it and foul up the brand new O2 sensor.

8 hours ago, omar302 said:

Just in case you didn't already do it, but did you try to clear the code and see if it then comes back? Might just be a stored code from before.

Yep, tried 3 times. Drove it around the block, cleared, then came back. Drove to autozone, cleared it, then it came back. Drove to advance auto, cleared it, then it came back. With the hard start after fueling, the purge valve issue seems feasible, especially with the "stuck rich" verbiage in the code.

Thoughts?