De-tune for smoother acceleration

Actually, there 'might' be a way to "smother" your acceleration. 

The transmission has what Ford calls an "adaptive shift strategy" which supposedly learns how to shift (softly or with authority) based on how you drive.  From what I've read (there may be a transmission expert here that'll flesh this out) if you disconnect the battery for awhile (some say 15 minutes, others a half hour) then reconnect, the tranny has to start learning its shift points all over (within reason).  Stay out of sport mode and be gentle with the throttle and over time you'll hardly know shifts are happening.  Of course going light on the throttle will also take care of your smoother acceleration request.

Just don't get in front of me....please!  ?

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not how adaptive learning works.  It adjusts shift pressure to keep performance within factory spec.  It doesn’t adjust to driving styles.

This makes sense. I drive pretty easy (most of the time).  Hopefully someone will have some insight on how to make this jerky upshot smooth out a bit. I love and have loved for years the vehicle. Would jus appreciate something that feels like the old smooth acceleration of my V8 youth. I don’t care much about gas mileage. 

12 hours ago, Renegad said:

BTW, my Edge tranny can hit like my old 68 mustang after I purchase and installed a shift kit in the old C4 in 1988.  Had just graduated High School. I’m looking for something a bit smoother these days. 

Your latest description has me wondering, have you ever changed transmission fluid? 

Ford recommends a change somewhere north of 100,000 miles but many Edge owners have found a h/ard or jerky shift is eliminated with a much earlier change.  Three drain and fill cycles gets all of the old fluid out (about half is trapped in the torque converter) and new fluid in.  Owners report an immediate improvement after a single drain and fill.
You might want to give that a try.  Each drain/fill cycle will take about 5 quarts of Mercon LV.

Edit to add: You do have Sport mode.  It's the gearshift position the furthest from Park, below Drive.  When pulled back to Sport mode your shift points will be higher and your throttle is more responsive.  The transmission shifts itself as usual unless you use the paddle shifters.  Once you've used then in Sport mode all shifting has to be done with the paddles until you shift back to Drive.

Edited by Gadgetjq
Sport mode description

8 hours ago, omar302 said:

It does not sound normal, as what @akirby stated above. You could try to disconnect the vehicle's battery for ~10 minutes so it will re-learn the adaptive parameters and see if it helps.

I’ll give it a shot in the next couple days. 

The biggest issue is the “hair trigger” throttle. Try to ease it down and the car still jumps and during acceleration becomes jittery. 

16 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

Your latest description has me wondering, have you ever changed transmission fluid? 

Ford recommends a change somewhere north of 100,000 miles but many Edge owners have found a h/ard or jerky shift is eliminated with a much earlier change.  Three drain and fill cycles gets all of the old fluid out (about half is trapped in the torque converter) and new fluid in.  Owners report an immediate improvement after a single drain and fill.
You might want to give that a try.  Each drain/fill cycle will take about 5 quarts of Mercon LV.

Edit to add: You do have Sport mode.  It's the gearshift position the furthest from Park, below Drive.  When pulled back to Sport mode your shift points will be higher and your throttle is more responsive.  The transmission shifts itself as usual unless you use the paddle shifters.  Once you've used then in Sport mode all shifting has to be done with the paddles until you shift back to Drive.

Okay. I’m definitely putting it in drive them and not sport. I do have the paddle shifters on the steering wheel but don’t use them. 

The vehicle has 86,000 miles on it but I’ll look into the oil change. Thanks. 

Edited by Renegad
Add mileage

35 minutes ago, Renegad said:

Could it be possible for the vehicle to be stuck in sport mode?

Not likely but at 86K you'll definitely feel a difference if you just change the trans fluid.  There's nothing to be afraid of, it's actually easier than an oil change.  Slide an aluminum turkey pan under the car, remove the 11mm plug, replace the plug when drain is complete, measure the amount that came out and put the same amount back in.  Go for a drive long enough to heat the trans fluid completely (at least 30 minutes) then check the level.  Adjust as necessary based on dip stick reading.  If you notice a difference do that again at least 2 times.  Done!

44 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

Not likely but at 86K you'll definitely feel a difference if you just change the trans fluid.  There's nothing to be afraid of, it's actually easier than an oil change.  Slide an aluminum turkey pan under the car, remove the 11mm plug, replace the plug when drain is complete, measure the amount that came out and put the same amount back in.  Go for a drive long enough to heat the trans fluid completely (at least 30 minutes) then check the level.  Adjust as necessary based on dip stick reading.  If you notice a difference do that again at least 2 times.  Done!

Makes sense. I’ll do it in the next week or so and report back. 

I think I’m getting old (52). I can recall my father talking about how smooth a big block was compared to the smaller V8s and, god forbid a V6.  All I want is good torque and smooth acceleration. This I4 turbo seems to have a Napoleon attitude. If you know what I mean. 

1 hour ago, Renegad said:

I think I’m getting old (52). I can recall my father talking about how smooth a big block was compared to the smaller V8s and, god forbid a V6.  All I want is good torque and smooth acceleration. This I4 turbo seems to have a Napoleon attitude. If you know what I mean. 

Check out the pedal commander. Typically used to increase throttle response bout can also be adjusted to reduce it. Might fit the bill for you.

pedal commander

19 hours ago, Renegad said:

I agree with your father the V8 is buttery smooth compared to a V6 or I4.  When I jump into my V8 car after driving my Edge the difference is huge. The V6 Edge is faster and gets better milage but the V8 car is smooooooth and has more torque off the line. V8 engines run smoother than many other engine configurations because the engine produces a power stroke every 90 degrees, whereas the 4-cylinder engine produces a power stroke every 180 degrees and the 6-cylinder engine produces a power stroke every 120 degrees. The large displacement big block V8 produces gobs of torque at very low RPM making for a great smooth effortless ride, the engine is just loafing along not working hard at all. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1