Liftgate malfunction

Disnats

Hi I am currently having trouble opening our 2015 edge liftgate it is non powerlift gate version. I am having a hard time looking for tutorials I tried to opening it manually but I can’t find the lever inside because of tight space I hope you can help me guys I don’t want to go technician as much as possible. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 9:35 PM, omar302 said:

Attached is the procedure from the service manual. Hope it helps.

Liftgate Latch Manual Release.pdf

By any chance do you have the power lift gate version? My 2015 titanium model won't open. I found the push button inside the small door, I push it and it goes in but does nothing.  I'm wondering if I need to push harder but nervous to break it. How much force is needed? And once pushed in, any twisting or lifting  on it? I tried pushing as far as I could and tries pushing on the door at the same time. Nothing.

• 2 months later...

We have a 2015 Edge.  A recent and sudden lift gate problems.  Push any button and the gate give a little lurch and clunk but does not lift.  Dash shows gate ajar.  Won't go up and won't rematch.  Repeated button pushes results in a little lurch and clunk. Left it overnight and next day battery dead.  

I disconnected battery to give it a charge. Upon reconnecting the battery the gate fully unlatched but did not open.  Unlatched I was able to open it manually.  In this position, no button pushing, foot underneath, nor fob button would cause gate to lower.  I lowered the gate manually and it sounds latched.  Dash no longer shows gate ajar.

Any thoughts as to problem and a solution?  Much appreciated

Lou,

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2015 edge. I took it to the dealer, asking them to run a diagnostic check. They kept it overnight w/o running the diagnostic and informed me that I needed to take it a body collision shop as it appears to have been in a collision. To my knowledge that is not true, I purchased it used. However, I took it to a body shop, the owner looked at and on this particular day the liftgate decided to work properly. He stated he did not see any signs of a collision or misalignment. To figure it out it would be like exploratory surgery, at that point I only saw dollar signs. I ordered replacement power liftgate arms. Installed them. They worked for all of 5 minutes and we are back to the liftgate doing a one shoulder shrug of trying to open without success. 

Made sure it relatched because I’ve experienced the battery drain and has since purchased a new battery. 

Since the replacement did not work, I’m back to searching for an answer like you.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

More and more I suspect the Rear Gate trunk Module of somehow getting out of sync.  I don't know yet but am pursuing the possibility.  I am able to consistently create a sequence of operation (although not the correct one) where step two  (the lift-gate motor) tries to open the hatch before the gate latch has been opened.  After that, removing power from the car, shorting the positive terminal for about a minute, reconnecting the battery and then pressing the dash button for the lift-gate the gate unlatches and nothing further happens.  At this point the hatch seems to be deaf, dumb, and blind.  One can however lift it manually ( no button of any kind will move the hatch) and then close it manually wherein it latches solidly.  Great fun, NOT!

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly I believe so.  I have downloaded all the information I confined and came to (my) conclusion form articles that the RGTM must be programmed.  A new one would need to be programmed.  Since I and probably you do not have the expensive equipment that Ford has a trip to your friendly or unfriendly Ford dealer would be necessary.  Mine is somewhat intermittent, but mostly in a failed state where it will not unlatch and the lift motor tries to lift, but the gate is latched.  Resultant, lift gate ajar.  I checked with an independent mechanic I use for big things and he shook his head and said Ford is the only answer for this issue.

If you do this or have any other solutions, please post.  It helps us all.

Good Luck

Lou K

ALL modules in modern Fords must be programmed with your specific vehicle's AsBuilt settings (and sometimes a different firmware version) to work 100% properly. Two vehicles may have the same programming if they are the same model, year, trim, options, etc. but it has to be correct either way. Just replacing a module with the same part number guarantees nothing. The programming method (dealer, FORScan, etc.) doesn't matter unless it's something special.

Thanks DaMiFo. Unfortunately I took the module back out when it didn’t fix the problem.  Will need to see if I can get back, install and program. 

On my the bright side, thanks to Virtualtracy for the mention of disable and use the liftgate manually. Doesn’t solve the issue but at least it made the hatch accessible. 

Lou, I went to the left menu and selected to disable. 

Settings / vehicle / power liftgate / disable switch 

one additional note, when you hold up on the button in the rear to release the latch, you may need to keep it pressed for a few seconds. Then the hatch should “pop”open but doesn’t lift. You will have to lift it manually. 

Edited by Renegad

I solved mines I think. Weak 2 year old battery. Had a AGM battery that was low on voltage. Never suspected it since it was 2 years old.  But did notice it was cranking slower than usual. Finally killed it one day when I left the radio on without running the.engine for like 25 minutes. Figured change it since that how long my batteries last. And after swapping it out,  trunk opens up everytime.

My battery is about 1.5 yo. I haven’t had any issues starting the vehicle (except when “rear gate ajar” drained the battery). I even put a battery charger on it to see if more power would help but it still had the same issues. 

On 10/21/2020 at 10:10 AM, 2011edgese said:

I solved mines I think. Weak 2 year old battery. Had a AGM battery that was low on voltage. Never suspected it since it was 2 years old.  But did notice it was cranking slower than usual. Finally killed it one day when I left the radio on without running the.engine for like 25 minutes. Figured change it since that how long my batteries last. And after swapping it out,  trunk opens up everytime.

• 1004ron changed the title to Liftgate malfunction
  • 1 year later...

Hello all,

Oh happy day, I finally have a working power liftgate again! I finally took my Edge in for the recall on the front flexible brake hose and I took it to a different dealership in my area and asked them to run a diagnostic on the liftgate as it was still not working and draining out my battery.

Before this we tried replacing the hydraulic lifts, did not resolve the problem; we tried replacing the control module, did not work but after this step I was able to use the lift manually, before that step it was completely useless.

The Ford tech updated the RTGM module which I asked another dealership if this could be the problem but the lazy butts did not bother to from the diagnostic as requested. Ford released SSM 49914 (TSB?) in June of 2021 acknowledging this issue.

I hope this helps everyone that is still struggling with this issue.

18 minutes ago, Virtualtracy said:

Hello all,

Oh happy day, I finally have a working power liftgate again! I finally took my Edge in for the recall on the front flexible brake hose and I took it to a different dealership in my area and asked them to run a diagnostic on the liftgate as it was still not working and draining out my battery.

Before this we tried replacing the hydraulic lifts, did not resolve the problem; we tried replacing the control module, did not work but after this step I was able to use the lift manually, before that step it was completely useless.

The Ford tech updated the RTGM module which I asked another dealership if this could be the problem but the lazy butts did not bother to from the diagnostic as requested. Ford released SSM 49914 (TSB?) in June of 2021 acknowledging this issue.

I hope this helps everyone that is still struggling with this issue.

What were your symptoms?  And what was replaced? Mines is doing something weird lately. If I open it and close it and immediately open it again then close it, it stays closed and have the dash light that's open. Nothing opens it u less half a day passes by and then fixes itself.