Is the Edge Platform going away?

vmaxbaby

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The current CD4 platform is going away just like Fusion and MKZ and Continental.  A new edge and Nautilus are in development reportedly on the C2 platform which is just a newer more flexible cd4.  There are also 2 new midsized BEVs in development.

Is the the C2 a RWD based platform? I was hoping they would develop the Edge as a 2-row version of the Explorer (like the Honda Passport-Pilot). Would make a great "ST" version. I think the Mondeo (Euro Fusion) is still going to be produced, maybe the Edge will share its platform?

2 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

I have read on forums the Edge Platform may be going away to be replaced with something else?  I like the explorer but don't need 7 passenger vehicle so the size of the Edge is perfect.  Just wondering what you all have heard.  

We did not need a 3 row SUV also, so that is one of the reason we ended up with the Edge ST. The other factor was the fun factor of driving the ST. It replaced a totaled GMT 360 GM Rainier 5.3 V8. I like the ST a lot better! Mileage is a lot better, along with being much faster. 

8 hours ago, omar302 said:

Is the the C2 a RWD based platform? I was hoping they would develop the Edge as a 2-row version of the Explorer (like the Honda Passport-Pilot). Would make a great "ST" version. I think the Mondeo (Euro Fusion) is still going to be produced, maybe the Edge will share its platform?

C2 is the new fwd/AWD platform.  Currently used for escape/kuga, Bronco sport, focus and coming soon to Mondeo and fusion active.

C6 is the RWD Explorer platform.  There was some talk about using it for edge and nautilus but C2 won out for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Hard to say with contract negotiations going on, but I think it’s likely it will stay there unless they decide to use Oakville for trucks/suvs.

Here's hoping. Our manufacturing slice of the pie has been in decline since the first NAFTA agreement. Ford has had a presence in Canada for 116 years and is #1 in terms of sales volume up here.

Hopefully Unifor and Ford get a deal done.