Question about the S mode

passerby

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Sport and I would not recommend doing this but I have had my transmission accidentally kicked into reverse and park when driving at 60 to 70 mph on the highway....This has happened several times by children playing in the car by accident. Guess what happened? Nothing the car went into neutral as a failsafe and I had to step on the brake to shift it back into gear while still at speed. Thank Ford for that safety feature or I may have needed a new transmission, crashed, or worse. The kiddos won't do that anymore.... I had a nice talk with them  Lol. Shifting from Drive to Sport and back while driving is fin, no problem.

Edited by Xtra

On 9/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, Xtra said:

I have a 2016 Sport and I would not recommend doing this but I have had my transmission accidentally kicked into reverse and park when driving at 60 to 70 mph on the highway....This has happened several times by children playing in the car by accident. Guess what happened? Nothing the car went into neutral as a failsafe and I had to step on the brake to shift it back into gear while still at speed. Thank Ford for that safety feature or I may have needed a new transmission, crashed, or worse. The kiddos won't do that anymore.... I had a nice talk with them  Lol. Shifting from Drive to Sport and back while driving is fin, no problem.

Yup modern cars have no mechanical interface between driver and power-train. The shift selector is all electronic and operator input is run through the PCM before any drive-line output is performed. Sport mode is unrelated since it is not a gear selection. The button just happens to be in the center of the shift wheel but could just as well have been placed on the steering wheel or the dash. Think opposite of eco-mode in other models. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, Xtra said:

Yea, saw that on Youtube, people did tests shifting to P or R while driving, and nothing happened, but even so I dare not try it.

• Like 1