2008 3.5l water pump

r67_vette

Greeting

I am the second owner of 2008 Edge SE AWD that I bought off the initial lessee in 2011.  Currently it has ~115k miles.  I understand this engine has an internally driven water pump that if it fails is could allow water into the oil.  Is there any recommended mileage to change the water pump?  Any other PM that I should look into as we really like this car and it is our snowbird transportation ?.  Currently I'm still doing much of my own mechanical  work, although I did take it back to the dealership for a new valve body in the trans.

thanks
Gary

Change all fluids pronto, and refresh them regularly.  No more than 5/60 intervals for trans fluid, power steering, or coolant.  Halve the interval for the best chance at longevity.

This vehicle was driven less than the average in the U.S., so 115K miles may actually be more like 200K worth.  Treat it accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to my local service manager about this a few months ago (before he left). He said my 2009 should be good for "at least" 150,000. We talked about doing preventative maintenance  R&R and he said he wouldn't consider it before 150k. I mentioned that I had read about problems and he said Ford isn't seeing a lot of problems on cars where the owners get regular oil and coolant changes. (by the book).

(I still have mine covered under a Premium Care extended warranty to cover for concern like this - replaced the PTU last year and cost $0).

• Like 1

Ford is calling the coolant "Lifetime".  My 2007 blew the water pump at 97,000 miles. I was fortunate and saw it before it was too late.  I guess "Lifetime" means that after it's dead your on your own.

Ford has changed the coolant recommendation for our cars a number of times.  In 2007 the coolant was gold.  (unknown to me)  they changed it to dark green.  I've been changing it about every 30,000 miles.  This is about every 3 years for me.

I still love this car and @ 153,000 miles it runs and looks like new.  

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 6:27 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

FordTechMakuloco just posted a coolant video where he mentions the supposed life of the coolants.  I think he also mentions that even if the newest coolant has an increased life expectancy, the recommended change intervals for your particular vehicle  still remain in effect.