2020 ST - Doing lowering springs and need torque specs

Just got a 2020 Edge ST and am doing H&R lowering springs. I found the instructions here on the forum (awesome and thanks)  but I can't seem to find the torque specs for the various suspension bolts. Can someone fill in the blanks for me and any others I will need? Appreciate it!

Front

1. Strut top hat nut:

2. Strut to knuckle bolts:

3. Strut tower bolts:

4: Sway bar link nuts:

Rear

1. Subframe bolts (big ones):

2. T50 torx bolts:

3. Upper shock mount bolts:

4: Sway bar link nuts:

Edited by poontanghooligan
Included more info

These are all for a 2015 Sport right out of the factory manual.

Front

1. Strut top hat nut:   98 Lb Ft

2. Strut to knuckle bolts:  2 @173 lb Ft

3. Strut tower bolts:   3 @26 Lb Ft

4: Sway bar link nuts:  Upper link to Strut 85 Lb Ft

Rear

1. Subframe bolts (big ones):  4 @129 Lb Ft

2. T50 torx bolts:  Not Sure which bolts you are referring to

3. Upper shock mount bolts:  76 Lb Ft

4: Sway bar link nuts:  85 Lb Ft

Ford also states that all suspension fasteners NOT be reused.  If I were to reuse them I would add fresh thread locker to them.

@CharlieB Thanks man! I was close with my guesses. The T50 torx bolts are near the front-most subframe bolts and help hold the bracket the front-most big subframe bolt goes through.

Install went great. Took my time and was a total of 5 hours doing it in my garage. Ride impressions are that it's just a touch softer over minor bumps but gets aggressive fairly quickly, especially on corner exit with the hammer down. Very pleased with the change in characteristics.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome to hear that the install went well for you. I plan on installing my h&r springs next week and this is the write up I was going to use. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wQ3WRD6zvzHaAbxE3hCZpyKIwbBI3-Gs/view , from this thread https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/22579-hr-sport-springs-on-g2-edge-sport/?page=7  Is this the same one that you used, any issues or tips?

Also, can you post some pics from the side and front. I am curious how much the wheels/tires are tucked in due to lowering and if I'll need to use wheel spacers to compensate.

Yup that's the writeup I used. I did remove the wiper arms. Some say it's not necessary but I found it easier to get the plastic top tray off. Make sure you get the wiper arms put back on in the exact same position as they came off otherwise they try to wipe beyond the window (ask me how I know).

There has been a little settling in the 500 miles since the install, especially the rear. Maybe a 1/4" or so which makes it look even better. There is more rear camber now so the top of the tire tucks in just a tad. Fronts are fine. I'll be getting an alignment soon as I feel there is too much rear camber and am concerned about inner tire wear.

I have ordered custom 15mm wheel adapters using these measurements from Motorsport Tech. Very high quality and durability. Used them when I had my Mustang. 

I'll post some pics and measurements in a little while. It's too cold out right now.

Ride has stiffened a tad but is still compliant over small bumps. I haven't had a chance to open it up on the twisties yet but maybe this weekend I'll get a chance. So far though, with a lower roll center and fairly flat body roll on corner exit with the hammer down, it feels good man. Proper length shocks with damping/rebound correction for the new springs would help though.

50583115858_0a8c596b39_h.jpg

Got the springs installed this weekend. I think it looks really good, (even with the snow tires) more street beast and less 4x4. Overall the install went good, the only issue was with the 21mm nut that holds the strut hat on. I had to find a way to hold the nut and turn the 10 mm on the shock. I ended up using a pair of needle nose vise grips. Thanks for all the info. I'm off to get an alignment done today.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, after being lowered for a couple of weeks, I started hearing random popping sounds coming from the right front, then a day or two later the left side started doing the same thing. I thought something was seriously wrong so I pulled the front tires and inspected everything to make sure nothing was loose. Turns out everything was fine and after some research online I had a good idea that it was the springs rubbing against the rubber seat. So I spent a good three hours pulling the front struts again and putting some grease between the springs and rubber spring seat. It's been about a week and no more noises from the front. Turns out doing this was mentioned in the how-to guide as an optional item. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to it the first time. 

I forgot to mention, this time I picked up this oxygen sensor socket from Nothern tool to use on the 21mm nut on the top hat. Although I could only do about a quarter turn at a time It worked good. 

Performance Tool Oxygen Sensor Socket — 3/8in. Drive, Model# W1267 | Northern Tool 

Edited by Gregertech
  • Like 3

On 11/9/2020 at 11:23 AM, Gregertech said:

50583115858_0a8c596b39_h.jpg

Got the springs installed this weekend. I think it looks really good, (even with the snow tires) more street beast and less 4x4. Overall the install went good, the only issue was with the 21mm nut that holds the strut hat on. I had to find a way to hold the nut and turn the 10 mm on the shock. I ended up using a pair of needle nose vise grips. Thanks for all the info. I'm off to get an alignment done today.

That looks great.  I can't bring myself to do it because I'm like an old man and want comfort.  Lol.  But man that looks great. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CrackedDSM said:

That looks great.  I can't bring myself to do it because I'm like an old man and want comfort.  Lol.  But man that looks great. 

I can understand prioritizing comfort. I'm not quite there yet. ? I love the way it looks and honestly, it could be 3/8" or 1/2" less drop than it is and it would still look really good. 

On 11/1/2020 at 9:33 AM, poontanghooligan said:

Yup that's the writeup I used. I did remove the wiper arms. Some say it's not necessary but I found it easier to get the plastic top tray off. Make sure you get the wiper arms put back on in the exact same position as they came off otherwise they try to wipe beyond the window (ask me how I know).

There has been a little settling in the 500 miles since the install, especially the rear. Maybe a 1/4" or so which makes it look even better. There is more rear camber now so the top of the tire tucks in just a tad. Fronts are fine. I'll be getting an alignment soon as I feel there is too much rear camber and am concerned about inner tire wear.

I have ordered custom 15mm wheel adapters using these measurements from Motorsport Tech. Very high quality and durability. Used them when I had my Mustang. 

I'll post some pics and measurements in a little while. It's too cold out right now.

Did you get the wheel adapters installed?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 3:29 PM, poontanghooligan said:

Looks great @Gregertech! As for rear camber, it looks like there is an eccentric washer to adjust rear camber: https://parts.lakelandford.com/p/Ford__Edge/Alignment-Camber-Adjusting-Eccentric/53566044/7T4Z5K751A.html

that eccentric bolt and part diagram is for 14 and older.  The 15 and newer rear suspension does not have rear camber adjustment.  The u shaped arms do not have camber bolts.  I did find a moog eccentric bolt part number that says it will fit but I need to call them to confirm.  

I think it should be noted that 2015 and up Edge do in fact have the ability for rear camber adjustment. I just learned this information from somebody on Facebook. It is not obvious that camber is adjustable when looking under the vehicle and doesn't seem to be widely known. I just got my Edge re-aligned, I had to show the tech where the camber adjustment was, and all numbers are within spec now, before this the rear camber was -3.0 and -2.0. 

The photo shows the location of the bolt, subframe side, and the elongated hole which allows the upper suspension arm to be adjusted in and out. 

138833867_10158880491506136_2663602395961469463_n.jpg

• Like 2