ZFG Tune

dolsen

1 hour ago, onyxbfly said:

Heard nothing but good things about Torrie and Unleashed tuning. No blown engines and, or shoddy customer service that I am aware of.  The world's fastest edge is tuned by ZFG and a few others are tuned by ZFG as well.

I fairness, I like the tune and I have had zero issues with it, but I feel like it leaves a lot on the table with regards to trans tuning and maybe even building and holding power. Although I could be wrong because I have never had any other tunes on my Edge. I think if I don't use an ethanol tune I'll stick with my Unleashed tune, but if I got with ZFG I'll get the 93 AND the E50 tune

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 6:34 AM, onyxbfly said:

Heard nothing but good things about Torrie and Unleashed tuning. No blown engines and, or shoddy customer service that I am aware of.  The world's fastest edge is tuned by ZFG and a few others are tuned by ZFG as well.

The world's fastest edge has many thousands of dollars in other mods.  But ZFG will get you e50-e70 on an otherwise stock car and you will see impressive gains.

7 hours ago, CrackedDSM said:

I’d ask torrie if he’d be willing to do an e30-e50 tune for you. My LMS E30 tune really make a significant difference in power compared to 93. If torrie can’t or won’t then I’d try ZFG. I don’t think you’ve got much to lose either way. 

Do you have any Dyno or Dragy numbers to back that up?   I do, and the 93 and e30 might as well be the same tune.

18 hours ago, 19EdgeSTeve said:

Do you have any Dyno or Dragy numbers to back that up?   I do, and the 93 and e30 might as well be the same tune.

Yep, I sure do. 

LMS 93, 100% stock everything else. Spun a little bit, top end not nearly as good. 

6BFE79B3-C11C-4279-82C2-121FFE957175.thumb.png.02586fd91692ba049e363b079e1351d1.png

LMS E30 tune, stock everything else, same tires, same everything as before. Traction is a joke at this point, all four wheels spin like crazy, have to feather it/keep 50% throttle when launching to get a good launch. Throttle response much better, mid range better, top end HUGE improvement. With a better launch/more traction it’d be in the 12’s easily. 

2030EE92-D64A-499B-BAFF-C2BF31D6271A.thumb.png.681247446e79c254fef3ea34c6662cd6.png

maybe theres something wrong with your car or maybe the tune wasn’t actually uploaded. Made a significant difference in mine. 

7 hours ago, CrackedDSM said:

Also: here’s a before and after 0-60. First pic is before second is after. 

053E43B0-5AE2-41F9-B4BF-4054FD341B45.thumb.png.9e7c834677b0006eff02bb995223d6ab.png

9C778315-2D1F-41CB-9B8F-BC9977716AA7.thumb.png.fc7a6a52042694b4d747a314dffaedec.png

Right on.  I just realized that you have a Ford Edge Sport.  I have the ST, so different transmissions, and perhaps LMS is afraid to push it.  anywho, The only noticeable difference has been 0-60.  But only minimal.  The top end power is a joke and honestly is worse than the 93 Tune.

93 0-60 Best run 4.93

E30 0-60 Best run 4.88

93 best 1/4 13.47 102

e30 best 1/5 13.53 101

ZFG is telling me that they can hand me an e85 tune on the stock pump (+intercooler) and easily hit 12s.....and easily hit 13.2 on e50 otherwise stock.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, CrackedDSM said:

I’d ask torrie if he’d be willing to do an e30-e50 tune for you. My LMS E30 tune really make a significant difference in power compared to 93. If torrie can’t or won’t then I’d try ZFG. I don’t think you’ve got much to lose either way. 

I have no idea why I didn't think to ask him... I just assumed he didn't write them and I honestly don't know why. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 19EdgeSTeve said:

Right on.  I just realized that you have a Ford Edge Sport.  I have the ST, so different transmissions, and perhaps LMS is afraid to push it.  anywho, The only noticeable difference has been 0-60.  But only minimal.  The top end power is a joke and honestly is worse than the 93 Tune.

93 0-60 Best run 4.93

E30 0-60 Best run 4.88

93 best 1/4 13.47 102

e30 best 1/5 13.53 101

ZFG is telling me that they can hand me an e85 tune on the stock pump (+intercooler) and easily hit 12s.....and easily hit 13.2 on e50 otherwise stock.

Those are good numbers but I can see what you mean when you say the top end kills you. That’s crazy! You can see on mine where traction kills me. If I can get the 0-60 down to 4.6-4.7 I’d be booking. Need moar traction! 

You have the altitude advantage too, I saw in one of your dragy results your DA was negative 1100. Lol, I’m jealous of that for sure. It’s definitely gotta be something exclusive to the edge ST tune because the top end difference on mine is phenomenal. In the 93 tune I was so disappointed at the top end. On e30 it’s straight ridiculous. 

These tigerpaw 245’s gotta go, man. No traction is killing me. I’m willing to bet at an actual drag strip I’d get better results because of the prep and be in the 12’s. I do eventually want to go with lightwheels wheels and some sticky tires but one step at a time.  Currently getting my EMT certs so time and money is at a premium. 

Couldn't hurt to reach out to LMS and say hey, this douche in an edge sport has way better top end on his e30 tune than I do, is there something different in the st tune? 

Edit: just thought of something, how are you blending your e30? Are you testing the e85 and then mixing based off of that? Or are you just mixing e85 and pump without testing? 

Edited by CrackedDSM

1 hour ago, CrackedDSM said:

Those are good numbers but I can see what you mean when you say the top end kills you. That’s crazy! You can see on mine where traction kills me. If I can get the 0-60 down to 4.6-4.7 I’d be booking. Need moar traction! 

You have the altitude advantage too, I saw in one of your dragy results your DA was negative 1100. Lol, I’m jealous of that for sure. It’s definitely gotta be something exclusive to the edge ST tune because the top end difference on mine is phenomenal. In the 93 tune I was so disappointed at the top end. On e30 it’s straight ridiculous. 

These tigerpaw 245’s gotta go, man. No traction is killing me. I’m willing to bet at an actual drag strip I’d get better results because of the prep and be in the 12’s. I do eventually want to go with lightwheels wheels and some sticky tires but one step at a time.  Currently getting my EMT certs so time and money is at a premium. 

Couldn't hurt to reach out to LMS and say hey, this douche in an edge sport has way better top end on his e30 tune than I do, is there something different in the st tune? 

Edit: just thought of something, how are you blending your e30? Are you testing the e85 and then mixing based off of that? Or are you just mixing e85 and pump without testing? 

Yes, i am testing the E85 regularly.  its very consistent.  I lean towards e35 to be sure.  I have 275/40r20 Pirelli Centurato sport all seasons and they provide enough traction. 

I am running 4.9-5.0 in positive DA on the regular.  Basically at 55 degrees, its a 5.0 or under 0-60 everytime. 

3 hours ago, 19EdgeSTeve said:

Yes, i am testing the E85 regularly.  its very consistent.  I lean towards e35 to be sure.  I have 275/40r20 Pirelli Centurato sport all seasons and they provide enough traction. 

I am running 4.9-5.0 in positive DA on the regular.  Basically at 55 degrees, its a 5.0 or under 0-60 everytime. 

That’s honestly what needs to happen on mine. I need stickier tires and losing some rotating mass in the process wouldn’t be bad either. But even just a tire change would help immensely. What I have to do to avoid spinning on the line is brake boost to 2200, hold about half throttle, release brake, continue to hold half throttle til it gets around 20-30, then floor it. If I could do a proper full rip launch that’d be great. 

But honestly it’s gotta be something with the trans. I’ve heard there’s some transmission gear they can’t tune around that kills life after 60, maybe that’s whats going on. 

31 minutes ago, dolsen said:

What's the best way to upload an Ethanol tune? Do it at the house then calmly drive to the gas station, fill it up then change the tune? some other way?

Honestly what I did was fill the gas tank first, then drove super gently home not hitting boost. With e30-e50 the stock ecu can adjust cruising and idle trims enough to be safe. Won’t be perfect and I wouldn’t drive like that forever. Lol, but these ecus are awesome. 

Thing I like about this way is it gives more time for the fuel to properly mix in your tank. Hit some bumps, take a curvy road, if no one is around at low speeds do the “clean your tires” trick of pulling the wheel back and forth like your doing the worlds smallest, slowest, invisible slalom course. Lol. 

Let us know the difference it makes though! Super curious. If you were closer to nc I’d lend you my dragy. 

Edited by CrackedDSM

Well I went to the station which has E85 (only guaranteed from 51-87%, so that's off putting) Filled up the tune, moved to a parking spot and uploaded the tune. Shortly after I ran a datalog and sent it back to Torrie. Waiting to get my first revision And I am off from there.

Does anyone measure their Ethanol content?

Definitely have to measure the content. Elsewise you’re just guessing and that could be catastrophic. Thankfully the trims and a few other indicators will be throwing up red flags when he views your logs, but I would definitely spend the $15 for an e85 test kit off of amazon. Worst case scenario you can use a baby bottle or any kind of 100mL test tube and a math formula if you’re cheap. Lol. 

Edited by CrackedDSM

34 minutes ago, CrackedDSM said:

Definitely have to measure the content. Elsewise you’re just guessing and that could be catastrophic. Thankfully the trims and a few other indicators will be throwing up red flags when he views your logs, but I would definitely spend the $15 for an e85 test kit off of amazon. Worst case scenario you can use a baby bottle or any kind of 100mL test tube and a math formula if you’re cheap. Lol. 

Do you test at every fill up? that seems like it would be a real pain, and technically that one test is only good until they get their next shipment of E85

I test every shipment. I used to be a manager for my local Sheetz so I know their schedule. If I didn’t know I’d probably test every couple weeks. 

One week is was E60, the next it was E79. That would’ve been a drastic difference in e content had I not tested it. 

Edited by CrackedDSM
  • Like 1

Well I got the E50 tune dialed in from Torrie at Unleashed. I have to say I'm VERY impressed with the tune. I also have a 93 octane tune from Torrie and the driveability of the E50 tune is just like stock. The driveability of the 93 tune isn't terrible, or even bad, but you can tell it is an aftermarket tune. The shifting strategy of the E50 tune is incredibly smooth. Unfortunately I don't have Dragy or dyno, or track results to back it up, but I would imagine the improvements are at least in line with (but probably better as he has an E30 tune and I have an E50 tune) the Dragy results posted by @CrackedDSM on his November 15th posts in this thread.

Has anyone ever had issues dialing in the Waste Gate parameters during tuning? Torrie asked if I had ever done any turbo work because the turbo control values look weird. To the best of my knowledge the vehicle is 100% stock, but I also bought it with 76k miles.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dolsen said:

Well I got the E50 tune dialed in from Torrie at Unleashed. I have to say I'm VERY impressed with the tune. I also have a 93 octane tune from Torrie and the driveability of the E50 tune is just like stock. The driveability of the 93 tune isn't terrible, or even bad, but you can tell it is an aftermarket tune. The shifting strategy of the E50 tune is incredibly smooth. Unfortunately I don't have Dragy or dyno, or track results to back it up, but I would imagine the improvements are at least in line with (but probably better as he has an E30 tune and I have an E50 tune) the Dragy results posted by @CrackedDSM on his November 15th posts in this thread.

Has anyone ever had issues dialing in the Waste Gate parameters during tuning? Torrie asked if I had ever done any turbo work because the turbo control values look weird. To the best of my knowledge the vehicle is 100% stock, but I also bought it with 76k miles.

Good stuff! Definitely made a huge difference for me. I did a dragy run recently of 12.85 @ 106 and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds because I finally got lucky with traction, so it’s really moving! 

Also, you may have a pinhole leak in the wastegate vacuum hoses. Also could be a sticking wastegate actuator? I’m not sure honestly. You might just have a factory freak(it’s a good thing). 

Record a 0-60 video! That’ll say a lot even without a dragy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CrackedDSM said:

Good stuff! Definitely made a huge difference for me. I did a dragy run recently of 12.85 @ 106 and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds because I finally got lucky with traction, so it’s really moving! 

Also, you may have a pinhole leak in the wastegate vacuum hoses. Also could be a sticking wastegate actuator? I’m not sure honestly. You might just have a factory freak(it’s a good thing). 

Record a 0-60 video! That’ll say a lot even without a dragy. 

Yea I'll try to get a video of a 0-60 run.

I wish I had a factory freak, but I swear it seems like every car I own is the opposite lol. It probably is some sort of vacuum leak somewhere with 117k on it.

I remember when I learned what a factory freak was, when the 2013 GT500's came out I read an article that talked about how 1 out of every 100 GT500 crankshafts did not need a tungsten counter weight. I do not recall the weight of the counterweights used (certainly its different for every crankshaft depending on how far out of balance it is) but being tungsten on a rotating component I would imagine it's relatively very heavy.

5 hours ago, dolsen said:

Yea I'll try to get a video of a 0-60 run.

I wish I had a factory freak, but I swear it seems like every car I own is the opposite lol. It probably is some sort of vacuum leak somewhere with 117k on it.

I remember when I learned what a factory freak was, when the 2013 GT500's came out I read an article that talked about how 1 out of every 100 GT500 crankshafts did not need a tungsten counter weight. I do not recall the weight of the counterweights used (certainly its different for every crankshaft depending on how far out of balance it is) but being tungsten on a rotating component I would imagine it's relatively very heavy.

Definitely. There are so many vacuum lines and sources on these engines I honestly wouldn’t know where to apply a boost leak tester to pressurize the system. On a dsm we just hook a pvc endcap to the inlet of the turbo and pressurize it that way but on these engines...no idea. Lol. And visual inspections only yield so much. Only thing I can think of is inspect the lines to the WGA and bend/twist them to see if any are cracked.