2021 Edge Order Guide

akirby

47 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

Interesting... with it putting out much less torque and being a smaller vehicle, I doubt it would get the same 7 speed the ST is getting, but I clearly know very little about transmissions ?

27 minutes ago, dolsen said:

Interesting... with it putting out much less torque and being a smaller vehicle, I doubt it would get the same 7 speed the ST is getting, but I clearly know very little about transmissions ?

The 2.3 actually is pretty strong. 276hp and 309 f/lbs. torque. 55 less hp and 71 less torque. It makes more than the 8f35 is rated for. 

Edited by Fingernip

7 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

The 2.3 actually is pretty strong. 276hp and 309 f/lbs. torque. 55 less hp and 71 less torque. It makes more than the 8f35 is rated for. 

If I am not mistaken, vehicle weight matters A LOT as well. I believe there is about a 1000 lb difference. If vehicle weight does in fact matter (correct me if I am wrong), it may not need to get a beefed up version of the 8F35.

Edited by dolsen

On 11/10/2020 at 1:56 PM, Fingernip said:

WOW they got rid of the stupid non working kick gate.

I actually made a youtube video showing where I put my foot to activate my hands-free lift gate.  Hopefully this helps if you have the same style of hitch as I do.  

Hope this helps!  It works for me everytime.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dolsen said:

If I am not mistaken, vehicle weight matters A LOT as well. I believe there is about a 1000 lb difference. If vehicle weight does in fact matter (correct me if I am wrong), it may not need to get a beefed up version of the 8F35.

I'm sure weight matters but the 8F35 is rated to 350NM torque. Without even considering vehicle weight. The 2.3 in the focus ST makes 420NM. Ford only offered it with a manual likely partially for that reason and the non ST still gets a regular 8F35. The only other transmissions capable of handling that torque are longitudinal. Ford isn't a company to develop a transmission solely for use on a single 40K vehicle sold in a limited region. They either beefed up a 8F35, used a 8F57 derived trans or modified a  6DCT450 (dual clutch) for the Focus ST. 

1 minute ago, Fingernip said:

I'm sure weight matters but the 8F35 is rated to 350NM torque. Without even considering vehicle weight. The 2.3 in the focus ST makes 420NM. Ford only offered it with a manual likely partially for that reason and the non ST still gets a regular 8F35. The only other transmissions capable of handling that torque are longitudinal. Ford isn't a company to develop a transmission solely for use on a single 40K vehicle sold in a limited region. They either beefed up a 8F35, used a 8F57 derived trans or modified a  6DCT450 (dual clutch) for the Focus ST. 

It'll be interesting to see what kind of trans ends up in that

I added a hidden hitch to my 2016 MKX and mine works every time just by kicking my foot in and up to touch the bottom of the bumper about a foot on either side of the hitch.  I think I made a video - I'll see if I can find it.  

I think most people just aren't using the right motion.

44 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

Exactly - vehicle weight doesn't really matter as it's based on the engine torque at the tranny input shaft.

The more I think about it - I think they just removed 2nd gear from the 8F57 and will use that with the 2.3LEB or 2.7LEB on all future C2 based vehicles.

What I can't seem to find out is what the 2.3LEB Lincoln Corsair is using.  I would think it would also be a candidate for the 7F57 along with Bronco Sport and maybe Escape at some point.  Also whatever the new Fusion turns out to be.

3 hours ago, CrackedDSM said:

I actually made a youtube video showing where I put my foot to activate my hands-free lift gate.  Hopefully this helps if you have the same style of hitch as I do.  

Hope this helps!  It works for me everytime.  

I just have the factory ST hitch. That is roughly where I get it to occasionally work but usually on the left side only. I think whatever proximity sensors they used are a mixed bag. 

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The more I think about it - I think they just removed 2nd gear from the 8F57 

This will be easily determined once details of the ratios are disclosed.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

What I can't seem to find out is what the 2.3LEB Lincoln Corsair is using.  I would think it would also be a candidate for the 7F57 along with Bronco Sport and maybe Escape at some point.

It is the 8F40 as stated in the Owner's Manual. What is also interesting is that the 2019 MKC with the 2.3L used the same transmission as the 2.0, the 6F35. For some reason the "35" transmission rating rating was ok before & now they put a "40" rating even though engine output was quite close. Guess they had developed it with the Bronco Sport in mind and saw it fit better with the 2.3 Lincoln.

The 2020 Escape has 3 different transmissions, highest being the 8F35 as per the Owner's Manual.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1