Oil Life Monitor % ?

Hello people, new to forum and new to a more computerized kind of car , sorry I'm old school, anyways my oil status on dashboard states that the oi life is at 22% .

I checked  the oil stick and oil level is where it supposed to be, and it doesn't look burn either , so honestly I don't  know what is the system check is telling me, any help , suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

35 minutes ago, Coatlicue said:

Hello people, new to forum and new to a more computerized kind of car , sorry I'm old school, anyways my oil status on dashboard states that the oi life is at 22% .

I checked  the oil stick and oil level is where it supposed to be, and it doesn't look burn either , so honestly I don't  know what is the system check is telling me, any help , suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you  

The oil life monitor monitors a number of factors (in addition to mileage) to determine how much life is left in your oil.  However, the reading is only valid if it was reset to 100% the last time the oil was changed.  

• Like 1

Right out of that odd little book found in the glove box.  I think it's called an Owner's Manual?

Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™
Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.
This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.
The following table provides examples of vehicle use and its impact on oil change intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil change intervals depend on several factors and generally decrease with severity of use.

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED Message  
Interval   Vehicle Use and Example  
7500–10000 mi (12,000–16,000 km)   Normal  
Normal commuting with highway driving   No, or moderate, load or towing   Flat to moderately hilly roads   No extended idling  
5000–7500 mi (8,000–12,000 km)   Severe  
Moderate to heavy load or towing   Mountainous or off-road conditions   Extended idling   Extended hot or cold operation  
3000–5000 mi (5,000–8,000 km)   Extreme  
Maximum load or towing   Extreme hot or cold operation  
  • Like 1

I'm not going to pretend to know what all goes into the calculations, although I'm sure someone on this board knows. But I believe the oil change indicator does not come on until 10% oil life left. The main factors you left out of your visual and olfactory analysis are lubricity and cooling ability of the oil, neither of which are easily detectable by the 5 human senses without the right tools. Oil changes are "cheap enough" that I wouldn't try to stretch it past what the car says is the usable life.

• Like 1

• 1004ron changed the title to Oil Life Monitor % ?
9 hours ago, Coatlicue said:

Thank you  

What year, model, mileage, mileage since last service.

The remaining oil life monitor is only a rough estimate and reminder when the oil change is due.

I change my oil and filter at 5K mile intervals at which time the remaining oil life indicator is around 50%.

Please consider adding location and Model/Year to your signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

• Like 1

Just a reminder, Ford's Oil life minister does NOT actually measure the oil itself, there is no sensor sensing the oil. If someone resets the oil life monitor without changing the oil, the system will not detect it and will make a new oil life estimate with the assumption that oil was new when the reset was done.

• Like 1