Key fob - engine shut off when out of range?

Friend of ours bought a 2020 Chevy Equinox.   Push bottom start.  Hangs the fobs in the garage.  Went out started the car drove to the post office.  Got back in car won't start.  Forgot the fob.  We figured if the fob got out of range like that with our 2019 Edge, the car would shut off.    Anyone ever do anything like this with their Edge?  

The Edge wont shut off when you get out of range of the FOB.

You cannot start the Edge without the FOB inside the vehicle, and if the vehicle is already running and the door is closed the horn will honk.

I cant be sure, but I doubt the Chevy allows the engine to start without the FOB inside the vehicle, so to me something doesn't sound right about your friends story.

• 1004ron changed the title to Key fob - engine shut off when out of range?

If you start the edge with the fob then take it out it will warn you with a double honk.  It will continue to run until you turn it off at which time you have 20 seconds to restart it without the key (warning pops up in the cluster).  After that you’re stuck.  That’s why I don’t like disabling the double honk.

But I agree there is no way the car started without the fob in the vehicle at some point,

Just to add one more point, if you leave the Edge idling for 30 minutes a message will appear in the instrument cluster and if no confirmation is given it will automatically shutdown. Hence if you find you had forgotten your key, make sure you don't leave the Edge unattended or turn off the auto shutdown in the settings menu (this setting will reset every time you restart).

Could you imagine if people forgot their fobs and the vehicles just started randomly shutting down in the middle of the freeway once you got halfway to where you're going?

Don't know about the Chevy, but Ford vehicles will warn you when you drive away without a fob, they will warn you when you shut if off without a fob, so if you're so oblivious to miss both those warnings, you deserve to get stuck!

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 6:02 PM, akirby said:

If you start the edge with the fob then take it out it will warn you with a double honk.  It will continue to run until you turn it off at which time you have 20 seconds to restart it without the key (warning pops up in the cluster).  After that you’re stuck.  That’s why I don’t like disabling the double honk.

But I agree there is no way the car started without the fob in the vehicle at some point,

Mine (2011) doesn't do that.  Where can I enable/disable the double honk for that matter (for leaving the car running without the fob inside)?

I've left the car running to pick up mail from the community mailbox and the car makes no honk.  It chimes and pops up a warning message in the cluster, but I see that only after I return to the car (not really useful).

Once, my son had the car for the day after he dropped me off at work.  Then he went to pick me up.  While waiting for me in the parking lot he moved to the passenger's seat.  I got in the driver's seat and drove him to his friend's.  I can't remember why but I realized I didn't have the fob until half way home.  I called him on the way to see if he had left the fob somewhere in the car but he had it in his pocket.  It's true it'll warn you about the 20 sec left if you shut it off without the fob.  I saw that when I got home and shut if off.

That situation is actually something that bothers and worries me: Ford should have/make/add a safety feature to shut off the engine as soon as somebody/anybody (a thief?) tries to move the shift off park (hijack the car?) without the fob inside.

And I also agree it won't start (or move if remotely started) without the fob inside at some point.

Edited by Edgingage
Correcting the story.

6 hours ago, Edgingage said:

Mine (2011) doesn't do that.  Where can I enable/disable the double honk for that matter (for leaving the car running without the fob inside)?

The feature (or annoyance) started with mid 2012 or mid 2013 models, don't remember exactly. If you use ForScan, it might be possible to enable it. You'll have to test it.

• Thanks 1