2016 Edge Sport Battery Monitoring System?

ezndo

Hi All,

Just replaced the OEM battery BXT-90T5-590 with the larger BAGM-48H6-760.  I did not see a battery management system module (BMS) which I believe is usually attached to the negative battery cable.  Also, I did try to reset the BMS by doing the high beam flash 5-7X, apply brakes 3X all within 10 secs but nothing happened.  So, anyone know how to tell if I have a BMS or post a pic?  If I do, do I need Forscan or dealer to reset?  TIA

On the 2015+ if a new battery is installed, it has to be reset using a scan tool. The below is from the 2015 Service Manual:

Battery Replacement

If the vehicle battery is replaced, it is very important to perform the BMS Reset using a diagnostic scan tool. If the battery monitoring system reset is not carried out, it holds the old battery parameters and time in service counter in memory. Additionally it tells the system the battery is in an aged state and may limit the Electrical Energy Management system functions For more information, Refer to: Battery and Cables ­ System Operation and Component Description (414­01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, Description and Operation).

• Like 1

Battery Charging or Jump Starting
To charge or jump start the vehicle, connect the positive cable to the battery positive post. It is preferred to connect the
negative cable to a vehicle ground and not the battery negative post. Connecting directly to the negative battery post can
have an adverse effect on the Electrical Energy Management system. For a good connection point, follow the cable from
the battery negative post to the vehicle body connection (typically on the shock tower sheet metal) and connect there.
If the battery is jump started or charged, the BCM must recalibrate the battery state of charge. Engine off load shedding
may occur if the vehicle is operated before the BCM calibrates the new battery state of charge.
NOTICE: DO NOT reset the battery monitoring system using the diagnostic scan tool. This reset is reserved for
new battery installation. Resetting the battery monitoring system will clear the learned battery data, the battery
time in service, and will affect the aging algorithm parameters, which have been learned since the installation of
the battery.

some of the caveats noted

Battery State of Charge
The BCM uses the battery current sensor to keep track of the battery state of charge. During a drive cycle the Electrical
Energy Management software adjusts the battery state of charge up during charging, and down during discharge.

During rest periods with the key off, and the vehicle enters sleep mode, the BCM automatically recalibrates the Battery
State of Charge. It takes 8 hours in sleep mode, with the vehicle undisturbed, no doors opened or keyless entry buttons
pressed, and the total vehicle current draw less than 300mA, to calibrate the battery state of charge to a high accuracy. If
the system draw has not allowed the battery state of charge to calibrate over the previous 7 days, the state of charge
quality factor changes to identify this and some Electrical Energy Management system functions may be temporarily
turned off until a calibration takes place.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, LakeRat said:

Out of curiosity... is there any difference in resetting the battery monitoring system using the diagnostic scan tool and the manual method of power on, toggle high beams 5x, press brake pedal 3x? 

Haven't heard of that method - where did you find that, and could you post a link?

I use Forscan to reset the BMS when installing a new battery.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, 1004ron said:

Haven't heard of that method - where did you find that, and could you post a link?

I use Forscan to reset the BMS when installing a new battery.

Here's another source for the manual process. You can google ford reset BMS. Same process is noted on F-150 forums and discussion groups. 

https://www.focusrs.org/threads/reset-bms-battery-monitor-system-when-replacing-battery.122866/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/2/2021 at 3:22 PM, ezndo said:

Hi All,

Just replaced the OEM battery BXT-90T5-590 with the larger BAGM-48H6-760.  I did not see a battery management system module (BMS) which I believe is usually attached to the negative battery cable.  Also, I did try to reset the BMS by doing the high beam flash 5-7X, apply brakes 3X all within 10 secs but nothing happened.  So, anyone know how to tell if I have a BMS or post a pic?  If I do, do I need Forscan or dealer to reset?  TIA

@ezndo, did you ever get a complete answer to your OP?  I'm doing the same exact battery upgrade swap on my Mom's Edge this weekend.

All the above posts only mention resetting the BMS.  I believe (from my research so far) that the BMS also has to be adjusted for the battery type (the new 48 H6  AGM 760CCA, versus the original 90 T5 590CCA).  I've ordered the OBDLink EX scan tool, and installed FORScan on my laptop to do the reset and adjust the battery type.  What I can't find are crystal clear step-by-step instructions on using FORScan to do both those things once I've swapped the battery.  I'm still looking, and I have found some instructions, but I'm not 100% confident I've got all the steps.  I've never used FORScan before, but I am above average in following instructions.

1 hour ago, spb1122 said:

@1004ron, Have you changed the battery type/size too?  Would love to hear some step-by-step from someone who has done this before.

Yes I did - try a forum search for the threads containing that info.

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/search/?q=forscan battery size

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/30280-group-65-battery-in-2nd-gen-possible/?tab=comments#comment-222764

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Yes I did - try a forum search for the threads containing that info.

https://www.fordedgeforum.com/search/?q=forscan battery size

@1004ron, I've been searching for three days. Believe me, I get the canned "try searching" response, especially for someone new to a forum, but like I mentioned a few posts up, I've found some instructions, but I'm not 100% confident I have what I need yet. In fact, I saw that thread, and I even printed out some of your screen shots, because that thread is as close as I have found to an answer.  Maybe I'm not asking my question clearly, I'm BRAND new with Forscan.  I just got my OBDLink EX today.  I just downloaded the Forscan app.  I haven't even hooked up to Mom's '15 Edge yet. (She lives 45 minutes away.) I'm trying to do as much prep work now, so I can take care of this over the weekend. How do I navigate, in Forscan, to the proper area to make the battery adjustment?  For example, I found these instructions for doing a BMS reset on the Forscan forum.  I can't find instructions like that for changing the battery type.  I see it mentioned in several places, but no "how-to".  I really looked, I hope I'm not missing it somewhere, but I'm still asking for help. Thanks.

Capture1.JPG

• Like 1