Weird Ticking/Knocking noise at idle (Ford Edge 3.5l)

Fordedgejunk

Kind of sounds like a lifter ticking. But could be several things.

Old trick when I worked at local garage was to use a long, wood handled screwdriver. Put it on a place on the engine and your ear on the wood handle. Move it around and you'll quickly find exactly where the sound is emulating from. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 12:25 AM, enigma-2 said:

Kind of sounds like a lifter ticking. But could be several things.

Old trick when I worked at local garage was to use a long, wood handled screwdriver. Put it on a place on the engine and your ear on the wood handle. Move it around and you'll quickly find exactly where the sound is emulating from. 

How do I fix lifter ticking?

7 minutes ago, Fordedgejunk said:

How do I fix lifter ticking?

You've first got to confirm whats ticking, a lifter, timing chain, ........this will need someone with experience on these engines to listen to it.

A ticking lifter could be one bad one, but more often its the first sign of something more severe like low oil pressure, .......sludge from an engine that never reaches operating temperature or poor oil change intervals, incorrect oil grade, incorrect oil filter, fouled oil pump suction strainer, failing oil pump, worn bearings, ......

• Like 1