Can someone please identify this piece/part that fell from under my driver side dash?

I went over some railroad tracks and this piece fell down and hit my leg on the driver side.  I have a 2017 Ford Edge SEL Limited.  I don't notice anything wrong, or any difference, but it's driving me crazy.  I can't seem to find a part diagram to locate it.  There is no identifying numbers on it, and I don't know the proper nomenclature to find it.  It obviously looks like a roller with a tensioning coil on it.  I looked up under the dash and can't see any gaping hole or missing piece.  Can someone please help me before I go mad?  I just want to put it back.

20210306_200815.jpg

20210306_200830.jpg

I can confirm that it is from the storage bin that is to the left of the steering wheel in the knee bolster area.  The bin that pulls out to access the fuse panel.  I had mine come apart once and had to reassemble it.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hbk136 said:

Thank you so much...does it have more than one? It seems to be opening and closing as it should?

That spring will actually "launch" the drawers out when lifting the latch, which I don't see a real need for seeing as gravity is assisting.

If it were mine, I'd save that spring in the glove box and only attempt to install it if one day I tear into that area.

• Like 1