Front License Plate

circatee

While I'm on the "I hate front plates" bandwagon too, I would be pretty upset if I spent $40k on a new car and during delivery the salesman said "here's your front plate, you should hurry up and drill into your bumper to get that mounted" instead of just having it done. And since the majority of US states do require them, I understand why they're usually installed.

There's far more people who want it done for them than those that don't, especially on an Edge.  If it's that big of a deal, there's always the ability to order your own car and tell them to not touch it (with the exception of PDI safety checks) once it's delivered. That's exactly what I did with my Fusion.

I understand that for some, they love having the front license plate holder. And, that is okay. 

My issue is that it is not consistent among all cars, from the same dealer. For the past 13 years or so, I have been purchasing from the same Ford dealer. And, all too often, some Ford cars have the front license plate holder, and some don't. Weird really... 

Many US States do not require a front license plate.  Many US States also do not require annual safety or emission inspections.  You can take your car wherever you want without getting 'booked'.  It just has to comply with the laws in the state it is registered in.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, niceonept said:

Which US states don't require a front license plate and do you get booked if you cross into another state that does without one fitted?

Not sure on which states, without checking Google. However, Georgia does not need it, and the surrounding states don't either. 

My car was purchased in Georgia (did not travel from another state; just a city around 40 miles away). So, not sure why Ford/Dealers installed the front license plate. 

Visitors to the forums from other states, can confirm if this is an issue that would generate a ticket... 

I'm old :(. I remember in my state of Tennessee we had front and rear plates. In the 50' and 60's they would both be white for a year or two then change to black for a year or two. I remember when ever we visited Michigan (have family living there) we would take off the front license plate. I asked my Dad why? He told me it was to let people in other states to know we were 'out of state'. That's what he told me. :). Sometime in the 1970's Tennessee did away with the front license plate and its been that way ever since :). 

I don't understand the obsession with front license plates or brackets.  If the car has the bracket on it and you don't need a front plate, put a logo plate of some kind there.

Circle back, I lived in Houston 1999-2005.  TX requires front plates.  I bought a 2001 BMW M3 new and the dealer asked if I wanted the front license plate, I said aren't they required and he said no one wants them on high end cars and the cops never pull you over.  I say OK.  A few months later, I'm going out to lunch with another guy from work, driving on Allen Parkway, and there in one of the turnouts is a HPD with another M3 pulled over.  The cop is standing with the driver pointing at the front of the car. I say to my friend there is no way he pulled him over for that.  Just then he looks up, sees my car and points to the side.  I get a ticket and when I asked why not a warning he said I'm giving you a warning for not changing your address within 30 days (been like 40).  Moral of the story:

NEVER GIVE A COP ANY REASON TO PULL YOU OVER 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Most people think the front plate is ugly and detracts from the looks of the vehicle and they don't want to have to plug the holes.

A few people on some internet forums think the front plate is ugly.  Most people could care less.

12 hours ago, todd92 said:

A few people on some internet forums think the front plate is ugly.  Most people could care less.

More than just a few, especially in states that don’t require them.  I have one on my pickup but I would not accept one on any of my previous cars or utilities.