Thinking about going Edge

muzicman61

I have a 2017 Fusion Energi that I just love.  My wife has a 2011 Escape but it's time to get her a new one.  We were looking at the Edge as it seems the Edge sit higher than then new Escapes.  She like to sit higher.  I'm debating on purchasing a 2020  Edge Titanium with only 2000 miles on it. 301A package and stickered at $45,830.  The dealer is asking $34,995 for it but its been on their lot for about 2 months (or more) and I have a good history with this dealer so I'm thinking I could get it for less.  But I'm also wondering if it might be worth waiting until the 2021s hit the lots.  Is there much difference between the 2020 and 2021 that would make it worth the wait?  

Any thoughts or perspective would be appreciated.

Thanks!

i just got a pretty good deal on a new 2020 ST in february. i debated whether or not it was worth it to get the 2021 and sync 4 on the big screen. one thing about the big screen though is that all the physical buttons for the HVAC have been replaced with virtual ones on a screen. no tactile feedback. i didn't feel that it was worth it for the deal i was getting.

the transmission is slightly different on the 2021. i understand that they just took the 2020 8 speed transmission and electronically removed the 2nd gear. not sure if the physical gears are in there or not. this is not an issue as now that i have the 8 speed, i see that difference in the ratios between 2nd and 3rd are so miniscule that it's comical.

other than that, not much difference so if you're getting a good deal, i'd probably go for the 2020. just my 2¢.

Here is my 2020 vs 2021 ST story.

Picked up new 2020 ST with 401A, ST Performance Brake Package, Cold Weather Package, and Rapid Red Paint. MSRP with dealer $199 tinted windows was $53,134. Total discounts/rebates/sales tax credit on trade-in was $13,500. That plus my excellent condition very low mileage 2016 Sport trade-in resulted in $19,698 on the road out of pocket costs to me. I thought this was a pretty good deal. The vehicle had been at the dealership for 133 days. Would have liked the 2021 ST with revised 7 Speed transmission, 12" Infotainment screen, and Sync 4, but no where near the price of my 2020. Understand the 2020 was already considered to be a year old from a value standpoint. Like that the 2020 ST is more sports tuned than my previous 2016 Sport and the additional 20HP and 30 foot pounds of torque. The more I drive it the more I like it. The build date was 11/2020 which is pretty late in the model year I would think.

PS: I read about the 8-Speed vs 7-Speed second gear removal and it didn't seem to make that much difference. Thanks for the info on the 12" screen, I also prefer tactile feedback. 

Thanks all.  After looking at pictures of the larger screen, my wife was not a fan.  I agree with her preference to have physical buttons for the HVAC, heat/cool seats, etc... It actually reminds me much of my Fusion Energi.  We will probably pull the trigger on the 2020 if it is still available in a couple weeks when I get my tax refund.  I assuming of course that my wife will like the Edge better than the Escape once she actually sits inside both vehicles. ?

• Like 1

Like I tell my wife, if you see it, and want it, don't wait. Can't tell you how many times she waited and they sold out. No car ever "just sits" on a lot. The sales staff routinely reviews every car on the lot and talks about getting rid of the lot queens. Two months on the lot, make them an offer.

Lock in the sale now and go with financing. Then use the tax refund when it comes. (BTW, checks are slow this year, so it may take longer to get).

• Like 1

Yah, I tell my wife the same thing about any purchase.  Generally I pay cash for all my cars but I could probably swing it without the refund (mine will come direct deposit which should be quicker). 

My biggest issue that I did not mention is the car is 1600 miles away.  It's at my old dealership in the state I'm moving back to in two weeks.  It's a small town dealership so hopefully it will still be there.  They sell more F150s than any of their other vehicles.

Understand. If it were me, I'd go online and take an interest in the car. The dealership will associate you and the car and (possibly) play you off against another possible buyer (give you the option to counter should someone else pop up). Could always decline their offer, but at least you would have the option to counter.

1,600 miles, big move. Hope it goes smoothly. 

5 hours ago, muzicman61 said:

Thanks.  I have a appointment with my salesman for the week after I get there.  I've bought 3 cars from him in the past so hopefully he'll do me right on this one.

If you or wife would ever enjoy using the paddle shifters in the Sport mode to manually shift through the gears from 1to 8, then you should definitely try it on both cars before making your decision.  The 2019/2020 transmission, at least  mine and several others that I know of, have a problem which will not allow acceptable shifts using the paddles in the Sport mode.  When trying to shift you experience bucks, skipped gears and flares.  I had my dealer try a brand new 2020 on his lot and it exhibited the same problem.  Ford is trying to hide the problem and will not even discuss it. If I contact Customer Service I am told to contact the dealer service department.  When I contact the dealer service department they know little or nothing about the ST.  The ST Supplement to the Edge Owner's Manual says to contact the Performance Center for questions or concerns.  When I contact the Performance  Center they have no knowledge or experience with the Edge ST.  When I bugged the Performance Center to ask Engineering about the intended use of the paddles and why there were no instructions.  They avoided my question.  It seems ridiculous that a performance enhancement can not be effectively used on Performance Group's "ST" vehicle and that no one will admit to it or discuss it?

If  you never intend to use the paddles in the Sport mode then the 2019/2020 is a great car once the transmission TSBs are flashed,  if not already done.  BTW, I have heard that they fixed the issue on the 2021. They made it a 7-speed.  Can anyone confirm?  

Edited by BillE
proof read

1 hour ago, BillE said:

If you or wife would ever enjoy using the paddle shifters in the Sport mode to manually shift through the gears from 1to 8, then you should definitely try it on both cars before making your decision.  The 2019/2020 transmission, at least  mine and several others that I know of, have a problem which will not allow acceptable shifts using the paddles in the Sport mode.  When trying to shift you experience bucks, skipped gears and flares.  I had my dealer try a brand new 2020 on his lot and it exhibited the same problem.  Ford is trying to hide the problem and will not even discuss it. If I contact Customer Service I am told to contact the dealer service department.  When I contact the dealer service department they know little or nothing about the ST.  The ST Supplement to the Edge Owner's Manual says to contact the Performance Center for questions or concerns.  When I contact the Performance  Center they have no knowledge or experience with the Edge ST.  When I bugged the Performance Center to ask Engineering about the intended use of the paddles and why there were no instructions.  They avoided my question.  It seems ridiculous that a performance enhancement can not be effectively used on Performance Group's "ST" vehicle and that no one will admit to it or discuss it?

If  you never intend to use the paddles in the Sport mode then the 2019/2020 is a great car once the transmission TSBs are flashed,  if not already done.  BTW, I have heard that they fixed the issue on the 2021. They made it a 7-speed.  Can anyone confirm?  

A lot of shifting issues were fixed last June with an updated firmware flash.

14 hours ago, BillE said:

Plan to go with a Titanium and she would not ever manually shift.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just do update everyone.  We went to the dealership on Friday (the move was 2 weeks of total hell).  She drove the Escape and hated it.  Then she drove an Edge Titanium.  Liked it but wasn't sold.  Then she drove the ST.  Fell in love almost instantly from the first push on the accelerator and the thump thump of the stereo.  She loved the color (blue) and the tires (rims).

Personally, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of features compared to the Titanium.  But as they say... happy wife, happy life.

Sticker was $47K and I got it for $37K which included a bumper to bumper 100,000 mile warranty and no time limit.  Had 3300 miles on it.  Felt like I got a good deal.

Edited by muzicman61