Livernois Tune Update "Stage 4"

CrackedDSM

Was on another topic and mentioned that Livernois Motorsports has released a new update to their tunes, they call "Stage 4".  Previous one being called Stage 3, and is a couple years old at best.  It's not being widely advertised so you have to ask for it.  I did, and got it this morning.  Loaded it up, and decided to do some testing.  The first set of Dragy SS' are on Stage 3, the final set are on Stage 4(and also added a CP-E rear motor mount, this is relevant.) 

Stage 3 E30 Tune

IMG_0404.thumb.jpg.69d9365836cb67280cb32ba83b85180f.jpg

IMG_0407.thumb.jpg.9683b90913a8ed943d31703eab1296df.jpg

Ricer Excuses/Relevant info:  Tires are Uniroyal Tigerpaw A/S 245/50R20's right @ 40psi.  Stock RMM, K&N Drop in filter, Boomba VTA adapter, tune.  I'm actually bummed about this run as its my all time best.  On the stage 3 E30 tunes, there was less torque down low, and more up top, so the launch could be feathered if I did it juuuuust right, and the results speak for itself.  I got a REALLY good launch, still broke loose a little as to be expected with these tires, and the pass felt incredible.  But I panicked and started to brake HARD where you see the massive dip at the end there, aborting the run.  I was floored when I still got a 13.53 @ only 86mph! So then I found out that LMS was now quietly updated their tunes to a Stage 4, that everyone on the facebook groups was raving about, so I decided to try it out.  During this time while waiting, I upgraded to the CP-E rear motor mount.  

Stage 4 E30 Tune

IMG_0422.thumb.jpg.93c7bf782b9c31cdf82eb675ea422042.jpg

IMG_0424.thumb.jpg.f3f828d2cf424a405aeb50c516c56705.jpg

First experience with the Stage 4 tune?  A completely different animal.  It has much more torque and boost comes in way earlier in the RPM range, which can be fun for zipping through traffic, but these Uniroyal tiger paws HATE this new torque, and the Dragy SS' show it.  Best I could do was a 5.09, launch RPM was 2500, keeping it at 25-35% throttle until 20mph, and then going 100% throttle, which immediately breaks the tires loose.  All things were equal here though, even down to the tire pressure.  Only change was the motor mount(as it turns out, doesn't help much with tire pressure being high. Lol) With the traction issues, I didn't even attempt a full 1/4mi run, and on this run I let off at 70ish mph.  I didn't break, but backed off the throttle.  It has so much torque down low, that up top doesn't feel quite so stellar anymore.  I'm gonna have to relearn how to drive the ol' black bullet with the new stage 4 stuff, but it did make a noticeable difference.  

From this point on, I am not going to mod a single thing on this vehicle, and focus solely on traction.  Lighter wheels, and wider, stickier performance tires will be the next thing, maybe even some stiffer springs(not decided yet) because this lack of traction is a total buzzkill.  

I do plan on going to my local 1/8th mile drag strip here very soon though, where I'm gonna try to get solid Stage 3 vs Stage 4 numbers again, but in a controlled, prepped environment.  I also plan to do some back to back testing of the Stage 3 93oct vs Stage 4 93oct.  Any feedback is completely welcomed, as well as posting up your own numbers, and your own experiences with your specific tune/tire/mod combo.  Thanks for lookin' 

Edited by CrackedDSM
  • Like 4

I did some data logging with Livernois a few months ago and they sent me the Stage 4 tune. I went from a 13.0 to a 12.7 in the quarter mile. DA was around 500 for both and similar air temps. Stock 21's with Dunlop summer tires: 20 PSI in the Front and Max pressure in the back, rear motor mount and lowering springs. Big difference at the track, and love it! 

IMG_2753.JPEG

Edited by bryantgbell
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bryantgbell said:

I did some data logging with Livernois a few months ago and they sent me the Stage 4 tune. I went from a 13.0 to a 12.7 in the quarter mile. DA was around 500 for both and similar air temps. Stock 21's with Dunlop summer tires: 20 PSI in the Front and Max pressure in the back, rear motor mount and lowering springs. Big difference at the track, and love it! 

IMG_2753.JPEG

That's what I'm talking about!!  That 60' is AWESOME.  I have everything except the springs, and my tires are all at max pressure, so that's the first thing I need to do.  Wow those are good times.  Gives me hope.  Did you notice any heatsoak, if you're on a stock intercooler?  Did it have more top end power than the previous tunes, or was it more down low torque?  Mine seems to have way more torque and mid-range, but drops off on the top end and seems to heatsoak more on the Stage 4 tune.  When the sun goes down and it's a little cooler, it's a whole other story.  Maybe I should try to do a few logs myself.

I am gonna try my best to hit up the local 1/8th track tomorrow if it doesn't rain so I can get some real numbers.  First thing I'm gonna do is lower my tire pressure in the front(you're the second person in the 12.7's to tell me to do that!) and see how it goes.  I do want to do some comparison runs to the old Stage 3 tunes too.  Was this on E30, or on 93?  Is that all the mods you have is just what you listed?  Last question, how are you launching it? Thank you for your comment, it helps a ton. 

Edited by CrackedDSM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bryantgbell said:

IMG_2753.JPEG

Stage 4   what fuel source?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrackedDSM said:

That's what I'm talking about!!  That 60' is AWESOME.  I have everything except the springs, and my tires are all at max pressure, so that's the first thing I need to do.  Wow those are good times.  Gives me hope.  Did you notice any heatsoak, if you're on a stock intercooler?  Did it have more top end power than the previous tunes, or was it more down low torque?  Mine seems to have way more torque and mid-range, but drops off on the top end and seems to heatsoak more on the Stage 4 tune.  When the sun goes down and it's a little cooler, it's a whole other story.  Maybe I should try to do a few logs myself.

I am gonna try my best to hit up the local 1/8th track tomorrow if it doesn't rain so I can get some real numbers.  First thing I'm gonna do is lower my tire pressure in the front(you're the second person in the 12.7's to tell me to do that!) and see how it goes.  I do want to do some comparison runs to the old Stage 3 tunes too.  Was this on E30, or on 93?  Is that all the mods you have is just what you listed?  Last question, how are you launching it? Thank you for your comment, it helps a ton. 

I have a Ultimate Performance intercooler and a custom intake with the filter pulled and only a turbo guard on it. 

I tried several different launches, but the best was 2200 RPM and mash your foot down! Thanks for the note and the 60' was a huge shock to me, it was awesome! 

Let me know if there are any other items I can help with. 

• Like 3

Ah okay.  The intercooler is honestly what I desperately need to help these IATs.  I'm still gonna try out the Stage 3 and Stage 4 at the track but I think honestly I'll see better all around/all temperature performance on the stock intercooler with the Stage 3.  Soon as we're moved and settled though, traction mods and that intercooler ASAP! 

My best 0-60 so far was launching similarly with tires at 40psi.  Brake boost to 2500rpm, let the brakes go, keep throttle at 25-35% until around 20mph, then floor it/100% throttle it.  On the V3 that'd result in some decent launches, still spinning as I went WOT, but noticeably better.  On the Stage 4 its just spin city like I'm a FWD on bald tires.  We'll give it the old college try with the tire pressures adjusted though! Thanks for your help. ?

Edited by CrackedDSM
  • Like 2

Here's the 3 stages of the intake I used to get those times. Bes time was the last image with just the 3" turbo guard with the junk yard headlight cut out. 100% not your everyday driver option, but I leave the it with just the filter like in the 1st picture then swap the headlight and the piping when going to the track. ?

IMG_2304.JPEG

IMG_2292.JPEG

IMG_2624.JPEG

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, bryantgbell said:

Here's the 3 stages of the intake I used to get those times. Bes time was the last image with just the 3" turbo guard with the junk yard headlight cut out. 100% not your everyday driver option, but I leave the it with just the filter like in the 1st picture then swap the headlight and the piping when going to the track. ?

That's awesome.  Honestly seems like if you sealed the top off it would still be beneficial even without the headlight cut out.  You could run an accordion tube sealed to one of the bumper vents straight to the box.  Wouldn't be as simple or great as the headlight removed but would still be better than stock.  That plus the ultimate intercooler, I bet your IATs look incredible even on hot days!! 

20 minutes ago, cds71 said:

Does LMS have a stage 4 93oct tune?

Yes they do. :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Slight update. Never got to go to the track yet with the stage 3 or stage 4 stuff. I did manage to find a good road for 0-60 use and tested the stage IV 93 octane tune. I got what I’d consider a decent launch but still heavily, HEAVILY feathering it... and well, results speak for themselves. 

EEBD33BE-14B1-4DEF-B02A-892F039FBD7D.thumb.png.f37e3f557dc160db333226349a4b32f1.png

Not bad! Stock intercooler, 245 all season tiger paws, full weight, yadda yadda yadda. 

Can’t wait to try it out with some new much wider stickier tires, and the ultimate performance intercooler! 

I will eventually get back to the track to try out the old stage 3 E30 tune and the stage 4 93 tunes. Thought some would appreciate at least some hard numbers. 

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention I did go to the track on the stage IV E30 tune and this was my best time. Dragy said like 8.63 actual time slip reads as pictured. I ran it all the way out to a 1/4 and dragy said 13.6 or so. I’m gonna post another dragy SS that shows the stage 3 E30 tune later that same night. 

6B8D277D-049C-418E-94ED-BFF0FC096A81.thumb.jpeg.b5a73b119435d1a3856ff21f73fe0df0.jpeg

1F50CFEE-B29E-460E-B4BF-2E8EE6E7F3C1.thumb.png.8fed8728a4d28cf9e9329f2ded9bcd3e.png

my conclusion so far is honestly for stock intercooler, stick with the stage 3 E30 tune. Stage 4 is for people with the upgraded intercooler. 

Edited by CrackedDSM
  • Like 4

• 5 months later...