2021 Edge ST Tune

JMcDon1007

I just picked up a 2021 Edge ST and was hoping to find a tune for the vehicle.  Do any of the tuners have a tune ready for the 2021?  I can’t seem to find any.  

I know that Ford locked out a gear for 2021 on the 8-speed transmission, essentially making it a 7-speed transmission.  Is that causing issues with using the 2020 tunes?  

I have never used any of those tuners besides Unleashed, and I have nothing but good things to report as far as performance, drivabililty, and reliability, but that is not to say the other 3 are not worth your time or money. After the reading and research I have done, I would choose ZFG next if I couldn't have unleashed.

That's my 2 cents

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excuse my ignorance, never installed a tune or even looked into it. Thus, curious.

A 'tune', besides an old school music track, is used to give the car more power, i.e. more Horse Power, no?

If one installs a 'tune', and then takes the car in for service and such, does one have to remove anything from the car? Does the tune affect warranty, too?

Thanks in advance. 

20 minutes ago, circatee said:

Excuse my ignorance, never installed a tune or even looked into it. Thus, curious.

A 'tune', besides an old school music track, is used to give the car more power, i.e. more Horse Power, no?

If one installs a 'tune', and then takes the car in for service and such, does one have to remove anything from the car? Does the tune affect warranty, too?

Thanks in advance. 

I've always considered tuning a car to be getting it set up just right - plug gaps, points, timing, carb settings and jets etc so that the car runs at its very best.

However if you change something, for example the air filter or exhaust the car will need re-tuning to match the new configuration.

Or does it mean something different in the US?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, niceonept said:

I've always considered tuning a car to be getting it set up just right - plug gaps, points, timing, carb settings and jets etc so that the car runs at its very best.

However if you change something, for example the air filter or exhaust the car will need re-tuning to match the new configuration.

Or does it mean something different in the US?

It means updating the engine and transmission management parameters.  The most common change is to advance the engine timing to produce more power when using higher octane fuel.  It can also change the fuel map to be more precise, change tranny shift parameters, etc.  On Ecoboost vehicles it can also change the boost settings.

• Like 2

It does not void the warranty but the dealer can tell if a tune was installed and if you have a failure that appears to be caused by the tune they can deny that specific warranty item.  E.g. if the engine appears to have failed from overboosting the turbo and a tune had been installed they probably won’t cover it.  But if the purge valve fails that’s still covered.

They can tell if a tune was installed even if you remove it and return to stock.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It does not void the warranty but the dealer can tell if a tune was installed and if you have a failure that appears to be caused by the tune they can deny that specific warranty item.  E.g. if the engine appears to have failed from overboosting the turbo and a tune had been installed they probably won’t cover it.  But if the purge valve fails that’s still covered.

They can tell if a tune was installed even if you remove it and return to stock.

Ah, brilliant information. Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

In all honesty, with 335HP, I can live with it as is, for now. I still miss the 420HP from my Mustang GT. But, I digress... 

58 minutes ago, circatee said:

Ah, brilliant information. Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

In all honesty, with 335HP, I can live with it as is, for now. I still miss the 420HP from my Mustang GT. But, I digress... 

I'm jealous of guys having 335HP. We get only 210 over here!

10 minutes ago, niceonept said:

I'm jealous of guys having 335HP. We get only 210 over here!

Whoa, are you telling me the same EDGE ST in the UK, only gets 210HP,  versus the US version with 335HP? 

Honestly, what is with these manufactures? I heard they did that with BMW's from Germany. The US ones were tuned down. Ugh... 

Tunes adjust the air fuel ratio too, especially for higher ethanol concentrations. This can actually lead to increased MPG, not just power increase! 

And honestly if you’re tuned and worried about warranty, do what I did and just mention that your battery died and had to be replaced. This will explain the key cycles being super low and they’ll never suspect otherwise. Worked for me and my dealership. ?

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  I reached out to Torrie at Unleashed and should have the HP Tuners device with a 93 octane tune delivered tomorrow.  So far, the service has been TOP notch and I’m glad to be working with Unleashed.  In a day when most customer service experiences are in the toilet, it was nice to get answers to all of my questions so quickly from Torrie.

I will update the thread once I get everything tuned and let you know how it runs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dolsen said:

I could be wrong but I think he is referring to the ST-Line (2.0L turbo), not the ST (2.7 TT)

Yes, it's the ST-Line. The ST is not available. The most powerful Edge you can get here is the twin-turbo diesel producing 210HP.

Edited by niceonept
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JMcDon1007 said:

Thanks everyone.  I reached out to Torrie at Unleashed and should have the HP Tuners device with a 93 octane tune delivered tomorrow.  So far, the service has been TOP notch and I’m glad to be working with Unleashed.  In a day when most customer service experiences are in the toilet, it was nice to get answers to all of my questions so quickly from Torrie.

I will update the thread once I get everything tuned and let you know how it runs.

I always though it was pretty amazing how quickly he responded to all of my purchases and even post purchase questions. Even a year after my first purchase he responded to a question I had within a couple of hours

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JMcDon1007 said:

Brilliant, and looking forward to photos, too ?

• Like 1