Serpentine belt replacement

macr6

Hey all, I've been googling my tail off and can't figure this out.  I have a '15 Edge Sport AWD w/ the 2.7l ecoboost.  I bought the Continental P# 4060680 belt from Autozone.  Supposed to be direct replacement.  It seems like the same size as the old belt.  Well I got the old one off just fine.  When I try and install the new belt it doesn't go over the tensioner.  It seems like it's too short, even though they are the same size.  Is there a trick to this?  I have done other belts and when you pull the tensioner they tend to slip right over and not be super tight.  This one won't even go over the tensioner.  Should I be using another pulley?? At a lost and pretty frustrated, any help would be appreciated.  I keep trying to look for anything online, but not getting any where.

So, I think I'm losing my mind since I've been working on this for a while.

Below is what the manual says.  Just snapped this photo.

IMG_9937.thumb.jpg.22352d28132702cc50baef029bcf0a32.jpgA

And this is the pic I took of the belt that was on there before i took it off.

IMG_9926.thumb.jpg.298961de2b2a06670683c76a0e189b70.jpg

WTH am I missing something?

I hate belt routing but that looks wrong to me.  Isn't the alternator (ALT in the pic) the small pulley.  You have it running to the tensioner and the idler pulley from the alternator.  The diagram doesn't show that.

Shouldn't it be like this?

routing.png

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, macr6 said:

So, I think I'm losing my mind since I've been working on this for a while.

Below is what the manual says.  Just snapped this photo.

IMG_9937.thumb.jpg.22352d28132702cc50baef029bcf0a32.jpgA

And this is the pic I took of the belt that was on there before i took it off.

IMG_9926.thumb.jpg.298961de2b2a06670683c76a0e189b70.jpg

WTH am I missing something?

The pic from the manual and the photo match.

Rockauto also lists that Continental belt number.

Only thing I can think of is that you're not fully retracting the tensioner.

2 hours ago, 1004ron said:

The pic from the manual and the photo match.

Rockauto also lists that Continental belt number.

Only thing I can think of is that you're not fully retracting the tensioner.

I'm inclined to agree with jmr061 that it's not routed correctly.

• Like 1

Attached are from the Service Manual. @jmr061 drew it correctly and as @1004ron stated the old one was routed incorrectly, in my opinion. Was the belt ever replaced before and why are you replacing it now? Maybe the wrong routing caused the early failure.

Accessory Drive Belt Removal and Instalation 2.7 L Ecoboost 2.pdf

Accessory Drive - Component Location 2.7 L Ecoboost.pdf

• Like 1

Okay I just want to close this out since I hate when people never come back and tell what had happened.

So this car belongs to a very good friend of mine.  I was doing her a favor and swapping the belt.  I asked what the vehicle was and she said '15 Ford Edge Sport.  I look it up and sure enough 2.7l motor.  I pick up the car and it's a sport, says so on the back.  Order the belt for it.  I spend a few hours thinking I'm insane.  I've done a few serp belts and most times they're literally a five min job.  This one was longer since you had to remove a tire and fender liner.  Well this morning I give her a call and the convo went a little like this:

me: Hey I couldn't do it.  You'll need to take it to a real mechanic.  I tried for hours to make it work and I'm just stupid.  However, the funny thing is that the belt is routed differently than what the manual says it should be.

her: Yeah that's probably because theres a different motor in the car.

me: .....

her: .....don't you remember???

me: no, how would I know that, and why isn't it the same motor?!?!?!

her: they had to replace the motor because XYZ....

Talk about info I could have used way earlier.  So that explains why things were wrong.  I tried to ask her what motor they put in it but decided against it and told her she should take it back to the shop that put the motor in since they know what they put in there.

So thanks to you all for your help.  I knew I wasn't that dumb.

17 hours ago, jmr061 said:

I hate belt routing but that looks wrong to me.  Isn't the alternator (ALT in the pic) the small pulley.  You have it running to the tensioner and the idler pulley from the alternator.  The diagram doesn't show that.

Shouldn't it be like this?

routing.png

You're right for the 2.7l motor, but apparently she doesn't have that motor in the car.  see my earlier post.  Thanks for the help though!

25 minutes ago, macr6 said:

Photo is correct, but the engine wasn't.  Diff engine.  

Now I have to ask.....why was the engine initially replaced and why was it replaced with an different engine than the one than the one that came with it. Unless the only engine available was a 2.0 and it was free... and the labor was free and the warranty was free etc

32 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Tell us what engine you're dealing with.

This is the 2.7 ecoboost section of the forum, so it can be expected that you're discussing the 2.7L V6

Yeah I'm aware that this is the 2.7 ecoboost section.  As I stated earlier, that's what I believed I was working on.  I was just closing out that the owner of the vehicle didn't tell me that the engine was replaced until after I had busted all my knuckles.  What they replaced it with, I don't know and at this point IDC.  

23 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Now I have to ask.....why was the engine initially replaced and why was it replaced with an different engine than the one than the one that came with it. Unless the only engine available was a 2.0 and it was free... and the labor was free and the warranty was free etc

I'm not sure.  The friend bought it from a dealer that was family.  I guess it had some problems (used vehicle) and they kept taking it back to the shop.  Finally the dealer decided to replace the engine.  What they replaced it with, I have no idea, but I can tell you it doesn't seem like a Ford 2.7l ecoboost.  When she gets back home from a trip I'll find out more info.  As for now, no longer my problem.

Only the 2.7 has a pulley setup as photographed for the 15 Edge.  I have no doubt its a 2.7.   The work to swap in a completely different size motor would have been way too much work.  They put the belt on the wrong.  It just needs to be put on the right way.

• Like 2

• 1004ron changed the title to Serpentine belt replacement

With 103K miles on my Sport I'm looking to replace the serpentine belt kit.

I'm leaning towards Motocraft or Gates - anyone know the best place to find a kit or should I just go with buying the three items (belt, tensioner and Idler) on RockAuto.com ?

@Haz  would you be able to help with more detailed instructions?

9 hours ago, 1004ron said:

With 103K miles on my Sport I'm looking to replace the serpentine belt kit.

I'm leaning towards Motocraft or Gates - anyone know the best place to find a kit or should I just go with buying the three items (belt, tensioner and Idler) on RockAuto.com ?

@Haz  would you be able to help with more detailed instructions?

rock auto for the win

when i did my alternator a month ago, I replaced the belt and tensioner but not the idler, and it was tight as hell.

I like Gates, but went with a motocraft tensioner

I had to ratchet strap the ratchet handle to the subframe in the fully retracted position, and put a socket on the crank to rotate it slowly to roll the belt on.

I'm no noob, it was that tight. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, omar302 said:

May I ask, why change the tensioner or idler?

In my case the tensioner had to come off to get the alternator off, so as long as it is off anyway, why put an old one back on? The spring could have gotten weak and lost tension, the bearing could be getting tired. This does happen. Think about the diameter of the tensioner and idler relative to the crank pulley, and how many times x how fast those things spin.. As it turns out, I definitely didn't need to replace it.

Truth is even the belt was showing no signs of wear (at over 100k) but screw it, cheap insurance and I already had the parts in hand.