Problem just popped up

We were on a toll interstate yesterday, doing about 80 and a moderate shimmy started. At first I suspected I threw a wheel weight or a tire had lost air (no instrument warning). No steering wheel shimmy. Pulled into the next available service center, got out and checked all tires. Nothing. Started out again and ... all good. Gone!

Came back in about 15 minutes but only just slight. However, as we drove on, there was a thump, thump, thump sound.

Then it got louder. A lot louder. Rolled down my window and it definitely sounded like it was coming from the drivers front.

(This was now on a limited access highway.) We stopped at a red light, and after driving on green light, it was gone. Dead quiet. Until we hit ~40 mph. Got louder as we went faster. Slowed to another light but the sound persisted but got quieter until we stopped. When we started up again ... gone, until we hit 40-45 mph.

(The thump, thump, thump sound is similar to a tire that has a flat spot and is directly related to speed.)

Weird how it disappears, get louder and quieter.

Nothing under 40 should rule out a tire, and then nothing until after the car went faster than 40 then stays until I come to a stop. Then quiet again. 40-45 triggers the thump, thump, thump. (Mild vibration comes with it, seems to come from rear).

Thinking it could be a CV joint, but ??? Any ideas?

I just made an appointment at Lincoln dealer for next (not this) Friday. Will post what they find.

Edited by enigma-2

OK, took the car in to Ford today. The mechanic, Todd, took it for a drive and noticed the thump, thump, thump. 

After two hours (of which I walked around the empty showroom, also known as "the land of the living dead") and finally out to the service desk to learn what they found.

Todd checked the tires and couldn't find any problems. No nails, broken tread, loose wheel nuts, etc. No steering parts worn. Only thing he found is my brakes were pulsating. 

So he decided to rotate the tires andask me to drive it over the weekend to see if the problem changed. No charge.

Started to drive home and noticed that it was exactly the same. Coming from drivers front.

Went back and this is really a puzzle. Seems to be tire related. Should have changed to passenger rear. So I made another appointment for Tuesday.

Went back to the car to drive home and ••hold on•• last month I had replaced an OEM wheel that was slightly bent (curb in drugstore parking lot) with a new one. They left the little green sticker on it. So I did too. (Have I ever mentioned that I'm lazy)? And low and behold, there was the little green sticker, on the same wheel they replaced. The idiot never rotated the tires.

(Evil Grin). 

Back in the service area, "uhhh Chad"? 

(Using my best "Montreal Burns" voice from The Simpsons)?

Got the deer in the headlights look, followed by a "ohhhhhhhhhhh shit". Then as best as I can describe it, a murderous look towards the service bay.

So I  said that we can look at it on Tuesday and "oh by the way, believe I won't wait, please have a loaner for me". "Like a new Lincoln, if its available. He fell over backwards agreeing.

And so it continues......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

OK, quiet down everyone.  Creberus is going to tell us how he knows. Its killing him no one has asked so far and he's dying to tell us. 

OK, Creberus, you have the floor. "Just how big is it"?

No, no, no wait. That should have been, "how do you know"?

(It's ok, I have an excuse. Its a warm,  sunny day and I'm visiting Margaritaville.)

7 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

OK, quiet down everyone.  Creberus is going to tell us how he knows. Its killing him no one has asked so far and he's dying to tell us. 

OK, Creberus, you have the floor. "Just how big is it"?

No, no, no wait. That should have been, "how do you know"?

(It's ok, I have an excuse. Its a warm,  sunny day and I'm visiting Margaritaville.)

???

At dealer today. Dealer diagnosed problem as related to tire. Pulled, put on balancer and still was in perfect balance. (Rules out missing weight, broken band, blister or inner damage). Tire good.

Mechanic drove car and still had thump, thump, thump. Had service manager verify. 

Rotated tires and thump moved to passenger rear, so definitely tire. Pulled tire again and still balanced as perfect. 

Dealer broke down tire and voila! 

Turns out the band that holds the pressure sensor broke. Spot weld at clamp broke. Was spinning around separately from wheel at times, but synchronized when on balancer and sometimes when driving. (Explains no thump, thump after coming to stop. Also nothing at times until I hit a smooth section of road, but not on rough road).

Turns out they had used NAPA band (only.on this wheel), knowing that I hate NAPA parts. 

Parts manager searched midwest for new Motorcraft band and found one (and one only) in southern Kentucky. Said getting parts is getting to be a real challenge. 

So that's one I wouldn't have guessed.

They never had one break before, and they use NAPA all the time as most customers want cheap repairs. 

Gets fixed next week. Having them look a brakes as well so they'll get me a new Nautilus for the day. Plus a hand wash (standard for Lincoln service).

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1