2019 Ford Edge ST Replacement Tire Options

PokeTheBear70

Hello All,

I need to replace the tires on my 2019 Ford Edge ST.

The wheels are the larger 265/40/21 option that was available with the larger brake calipers etc.

I am looking at either the Michelin Premier LTX or the Continental Extreme Contact.

I need all-season due to the winter conditions here in Wisconsin.

Does anybody have a recommendation if one is better than the other for overall tread wear and winter driving?

Thanks all! ?

PTB70

I put the Michelin Premier LTX on my 2019 at 24,000miles.  So far I am very pleased with them.  However, they DEFINITELY don't have the stick like the original P-zeros!  ;)

But the fact that it has 60k warranty was enough to convince me I didn't need the P-Zeros.

Edited by txaggie

On 9/1/2021 at 10:31 AM, PokeTheBear70 said:

The wheels are the larger 265/40/21 option that was available with the larger brake calipers etc.

I need all-season due to the winter conditions here in Wisconsin.

On 9/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, PokeTheBear70 said:

Well, my car came with P-Zeros when I picked it up.  All it took is me attempting to drive it home in January in Wisconsin (the day I picked up the car) to realize that those tires had to go.  It was like driving on plastic wheels on a sheet of ice! ?

Now they chill in my basement, with 15 miles on them.

the brake calipers are not larger on the brake package.

i thought living in wisconsin, you would get proper winter tires. all-seasons suck in the winter and suck in the summer.

p-zeros are high performance summer tires. if you drove home in january, i would imagine it was cold and maybe you even had snow or ice on the road. summer tires get rock hard when they get cold and lose grip. all seasons are a bit better but not much. winter tires stay soft and thus keep their grip within the laws of physics of course.

plus, if you only had 15 miles on them, they still had the mold-release on them and they'd be slippery even in dry and hot conditions. it takes a couple hundred miles to wear that stuff off.

why not just keep the nice p-zeros for the summer and get a set of wheels for the winter tires? 

• Like 4

On 9/1/2021 at 3:18 PM, PokeTheBear70 said:

I am currently at 3/32" and they were also Michelin Premier LTX  tires.

I am replacing at 48K miles, and I don't drive hard.

So if they are rated for 60K miles I call foul.

They were good tires, but they just didn't seem to last that long for me.

I’ve never gotten more than 35K from any tires regardless of rating.  My 21” Pirelli scorpions only last 25K.

• 4 months later...
On 9/1/2021 at 1:51 PM, akirby said:

Tirerack.com survey results

B40A31E5-C9D9-415A-BA71-64165EC0F0AB.jpeg

When I bought my '19 Edge ST a couple weeks ago, it was a Ford CPO vehicle with 19K miles.....the dealer had already replaced the stock tires with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season. I am in Illinois and have already made a road trip to Minneapolis through Wisconsin with some snowy roads and they seem to have vert good wet road grip. YMMV

• 8 months later...

On my 2017 Sport the original P-Zero's lasted 50K miles, and after that the Atturo lasted 31K miles.

As the Atturo approached the wear bars, they were very bad on wet roads.

My third set of tires just recently installed are Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra 265 /40 R21 105V XL BSW  and so far very happy with them - quiet and superb grip in the wet, and expect they'll be good in the snow.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1