Electrical issues - low oil pressure light ?

JDR1968

I was sitting in a parking lot today when I got a notification of low oil pressure, then the car died.  Got out and checked the oil and it was fine.  I had it changed this week.  I started it back and the traction light came on along with the low oil pressure light.  Put it in reverse and the car jerked really hard.  Backed out and put it in drive and it jerked really hard again.  Drove and it was slow accelerating, then sped up.  The car died and I pulled into a parking lot.  Tried to start it and it was like the battery was dead (click, click, click).  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.  If this isnt the right place for this question, could you please direct me to the right place?

Edited by JDR1968
Addition

59 minutes ago, JDR1968 said:

I was sitting in a parking lot today when I got a notification of low oil pressure, then the car died.  Got out and checked the oil and it was fineI had it changed this week.  I started it back and the traction light came on along with the low oil pressure light.  Put it in reverse and the car jerked really hard.  Backed out and put it in drive and it jerked really hard again.  Drove and it was slow accelerating, then sped up.  The car died and I pulled into a parking lot.  Tried to start it and it was like the battery was dead (click, click, click).  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.  If this isnt the right place for this question, could you please direct me to the right place?

Where did you get the oil changed?

Not wise to drive with it with the low oil pressure light on.

What model and year? - please add that to your profile signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

What mileage?

• 1004ron changed the title to Electrical issues - low oil pressure light ?

sounds from your description like an electrical issue more than an actual oil pressure problem.. especially the clicking starter

possibly a bad starter, but sounds like a dead battery or bad connection @ batt or starter.. 

If it is a dead battery then the alternator / connections would be suspect

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

A quick lube shop?

Many "budget" oil change places are notorious for using the wrong oil filter and/or the wrong oil.

I have always used this place.  Been going to them for years.  Never had a problem.  I am going to call them Monday.

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

sounds from your description like an electrical issue more than an actual oil pressure problem.. especially the clicking starter

possibly a bad starter, but sounds like a dead battery or bad connection @ batt or starter.. 

If it is a dead battery then the alternator / connections would be suspect

I am thinking the same thing.  I am a gig worker and use a heated pizza bag that is plugged up.  I also plug my phone up and unplug it a lot.  Could this be a problem too?

9 minutes ago, JDR1968 said:

I am thinking the same thing.  I am a gig worker and use a heated pizza bag that is plugged up.  I also plug my phone up and unplug it a lot.  Could this be a problem too?

The phone plug in is a non issue, but the pizza bag may draw more power than the socket can provide safely or more than the alternator can provide without pulling power from the alternator field excite wire..

without specific knowledge of the wiring set up on your vehicle it is hard to say.

I'd disco the pizza bag, get the vehicle running and test power output of the alternator

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2nd on Cerberus suggestion about battery. I'd be willing to bet your battery is shot.

Doubt the pizza bag is causing unless you run it when cat is off. (In 1st gen the power sockets are hot when car off. Rated at 15 amps. Heavy draw on battery can damage battery). When engine running, actuator should be able to compensate.