Engine wants to stall - Code P1450 & P144A - Evap Purge Valve

shumax

Hi everyone, i am a new member here and looking for answers to a problem ive ben experiencing with my 2016 ford edge eco boost. After filling my tank up with gas my rpms drop down if i come to a red light and kinda flutter. It only happens after filling up gas. It usually goes away after driving a couple miles but will return next fill up. 

22 minutes ago, John Johnson said:

Hi everyone, i am a new member here and looking for answers to a problem ive ben experiencing with my 2016 ford edge eco boost. After filling my tank up with gas my rpms drop down if i come to a red light and kinda flutter. It only happens after filling up gas. It usually goes away after driving a couple miles but will return next fill up. 

What engine?

Please add your location and Model/Year to your signature - https://www.fordedgeforum.com/settings/signature/

1 hour ago, John Johnson said:

Most likely the same issue I had in my last post on this thread. Simple fix you can do yourself if it is the 2.7l ecoboost 6 cyl engine. I posted the aftermarket part I used in this thread. Still going strong, no issues anymore. Idk if the part is in the same location or if its the same problem on the 4 cyl 2.0l.

I was at the dealer having the tranny fluid flushed on my 2019 Explorer Sport and brought this issue up.

They finished my sentence by saying it was likely the canister or the purge valve.  The manager, who is a family friend, urged me to try SeaFoam in the gas tank.  I asked him if that's ok on the turbo 2.7 as I thought we weren't supposed to do that as it could damage the impellers on the turbos?  He said he runs it in his turbo Fusion and has no issues.  I do trust him as he is a family friend, but thought I'd better run that past some folks here.  Maybe that's just on the induction side and going through the fuel is fine?

They did say that if that doesn't fix it, bring it in and they would see if there was a code.  If there was a code, they could replace it under warranty.

Shumax

sorry ... did not see the date on this post before i replied ...

-------------------------

thru the fuel is fine, very mild compared to an induction service which directly hits the carbon in the manifold and backs of intake valves.  wouldnt worry about this way of trying to clean stuff out. there ARE pro induction services of course from BG and Valvoline if you are interested in them down the road.

you can have them borescope the valves if you would like to know the facts on how your sport is doing.  but without a catchcan, it is almost  a certainty that there will likely be carbon buildup (typically soft variety) - typical symptom is mainly rough idling, MAYbe a small drop in mpg, and a small amount of knock.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Hi everyone, ben having an issue with my edge lately, gonna take it to my mechanic soon.  Everytime i fill my gas tank up shortly after leaving the gas pump and coming up to a red light my rpms kinda stutter down and car seems to recover shortly after, i had this issue before and changed my spark plugs because this triggered the check engine light to come on and it said misfire in cylinder 3. But this only happens after putting gas into the vehicle. Long story short~~~can a bad purge valve cause the spark plug damage or misfires??? Im at a loss because It only misfires after a gas fill up. 

On 10/2/2021 at 8:36 AM, Cerberus said:

Just to bring this to closure, i had the evap purge valve/solenoid replaced under drivetrain warranty at the dealership and the problem was cured. I did have an extended OBD code stored which indicated an evap error.

Come to find out, the valve is right on top of the forward cylinder bank, So i would have done it myself and saved the visit with those ass clowns.. but thats a different story for another day..

On 10/6/2021 at 6:08 PM, 1004ron said:

Found out that my Ford Premium Care has a $100 deductible, so bought a new replacement, installed and cleared the codes.

I'll be gassing up late tomorrow after work and will see if I still have the hesitation at idle immediately after filling up.

Just out of curiosity, Cerberus said it was covered under drivetrain warranty (is that the same thing as the powertrain 5year/60k mile warranty?).  1004ron indicated he had to use his Ford Premium Care deductible (is that because you were outside your drivetrain/powertrain warranty?  or did your dealership claim it wasn't covered under the warranty?)

My 2018 Ford Edge Sport is having the same issues -- throwing P144A and idling issues as well as a faint fuel smell.  Dealership can't see me until April 14th.  Was going to attempt to drop it off on Friday night and leave it all day Saturday to see if they could get to it this weekend.  It only has around 47K miles ....so I just want to make sure if it should be covered under a warranty I push for that vs using my $100 dollar deductible.

Thanks.

Edited by 1004ron
No need to quote everything

• 1004ron changed the title to Engine wants to stall - Code P1450 & P144A - Evap Purge Valve

Now I’m wondering if this is even the cause of my issue at all. Noticed a small oil leak under the car this morning. Check under the hood this afternoon to find the dealership never replaced the oil cap at the last service. Checked dip stick and there is little to no oil in the vehicle. Car will be getting towed to dealership soon so they can fix this. I wonder if the P144a code will disappear once this is fixed.

33B8044D-5D69-4EFC-B3C7-AF7E3EAFFD63.jpeg

Edited by F0RDM0M
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 4:24 AM, F0RDM0M said:

Two weeks ago. I don’t check it THAT often but apparently I should start checking after they work on it. Haha.

Most dealerships use young'ens to do the simple work. Non-certified want-a-be's looking to get into mechanics school sponsored by the dealer. Can't trust any of them. After one visit I popped my hood, checked the dip stick and it was good. As I was replacing it, noticed they never replaced the engine cover. ?

Stopped by the dealer couple of days later and demanded to go find my lost engine cover and ... idiot threw it away. Dealer had to buy me a new one.

Bought a new 2009 MKX chrome wheel to replace one that had hit a curb. Verified that the idiot replaced it as it still had a green sticker on it. Only problem was, the sit-for-brains replaced the wrong wheel. Service Manager clearly wrote drivers front. Dumb ass replaced drivers rear. Threw old one away. Cost the dealer ~$600-$700. I watched the Service Manager himself go dumpster diving to find the old one. 

Also found my oil cap loose after one oil change. Hadn't fallen off yet, but probably could have worked its way off eventually.

Every couple of years I have them replace the oil drain bolt. Most of these idiots over tightening the bolt thinking the tighter the better. 

When my mom was alive, she had her Honda serviced at local Honda dealer. Complained it wandered all over after every oil change. As it was a 40 mile drive to her house to fix this, I had enough and stopped by Basney Honda to report the idiot doing the oil changes was over-filling the air pressure in the tires. Service Manager told me that he was filling the tires to the pressure marked on the tires, which is what Honda required. (I imagined his qualifications for the job was his ability to ask "want fries with that"?) We argued for about a half hour. (I dont back down when dealing with idiots). Finally I demanded to speak to the Operations Officer of the dealer. He agreed with the Service Manager. So I called Honda. Next oil change,  pressure was as printed on the placard. Stupidity runs all the way to the top in some dealerships.

Ford also has excellent Regional Customer Representatives. 800-393-3673. (Dealer knows I have them on speed dial). 

Had these little battery anti-corrosion rings put on one trip as they found corrosion. Figured they'd clean the terminals and the ringy things would keep it clean. So the idiot put the rings on & never cleaned the terminals however. They did the work over on their dime. 

Customer click.   ....    (rainman)

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just looking for some help with the p1450 error code on my 2018 Edge sport. I purchased the wrong part and was just wondering if anyone knew the right part i need. Car struggles to start after I've refueled it. Eventually it starts but i want to get rid of the check engine light.  Everything points to the fuel (vapour) evaporator. Just wondering if anyone has a picture of what part i need for my car. Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, jvuckovic17 said:

Just looking for some help with the p1450 error code on my 2018 Edge sport. I purchased the wrong part and was just wondering if anyone knew the right part i need. Car struggles to start after I've refueled it. Eventually it starts but i want to get rid of the check engine light.  Everything points to the fuel (vapour) evaporator. Just wondering if anyone has a picture of what part i need for my car. Thanks in advance.

The PDF from the comment below has a good diagram showing the part. I ordered my part off of Rock Auto. I picked my car and it showed me the correct parts. I think it was around $50

On 7/13/2019 at 12:43 AM, omar302 said:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jvuckovic17 said:

So i got the part and installed it but I still have a check engine light on. Does anyone know of anything else that needs to be replaced? Thanks in advance. Or does the code need to be cleared first?

If the light is staying on, then no point in clearing codes - check the codes and if its still the same evap code then you have other issues with the evap system, like the canister in the rear.

3 hours ago, jvuckovic17 said:

The canister in the rear. Can you get to it easily or does the tank need to come off? Any chance you might know the part number? Thanks in advance.

Do you still have the symptoms "Car struggles to start after I've refueled it. " ?

Hopefully @Haz can assist with that.

My dealerships service manager told me the most often the evap valve is the cure, but they have also found the same code to be a problem with the canister in the rear.

Once you have it resolved, to avoid this happening again never top-off your tank - stop the first time the pump shuts off.

13 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Do you still have the symptoms "Car struggles to start after I've refueled it. " ?

Hopefully @Haz can assist with that.

My dealerships service manager told me the most often the evap valve is the cure, but they have also found the same code to be a problem with the canister in the rear.

Once you have it resolved, to avoid this happening again never top-off your tank - stop the first time the pump shuts off.

Yes i still have the symptoms. I think my issue is with the canister in the rear. Just locating it and finding the correct part number might be the challenge.

jvuckovic17: Below are relevant sections from 2018 Edge Workshop Manual, and from 2018 Gasoline Powertrain Control- Emission Diagnosis Manual, relating to potential causes of P1450 Diagnostic Trouble Code, Diagnostic Pinpoint Test HX, and other procedures, diagrams, and details, provided as PDF download links and images...

Good luck!

P1450 Diagnostic Trouble Code Description - 2.7L Ecoboost - 2018 Gasoline Powertrain Control-Emissions Diagnosis Manual.jpg

PINPOINT TEST HX - EVAPORATIVE EMISSION (EVAP) SYSTEM AND MONITOR - 2.7L Ecoboost - 2018 PC-ED Manual.pdf

Evaporative Emissions - Overview - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Evaporative Emissions - System Operation and Component Description - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Evaporative Emission Canister - Removal and Installation - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Evaporative Emission Canister Ventilation Filter - Removal and Installation - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Evaporative Emission Canister Vent Solenoid - Removal and Installation - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor and Tube - Removal and Installation - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Fuel Tank - Removal and Installation - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2018 Edge.pdf

EVAP Components Wiring Diagram - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

EVAP Components Wiring Diagram - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

EVAPORATIVE EMISSION (EVAP) CANISTER VENT VALVE - Connector C450 Details - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

EVAPORATIVE EMISSION (EVAP) CANISTER VENT VALVE - Connector C450 (Under Body) Location Illustration - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

EVAPORATIVE EMISSION (EVAP) PURGE VALVE - Connector C1029 Details - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

EVAPORATIVE EMISSION (EVAP) PURGE VALVE - Connector C1029 Location Illustration - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve - Removal and Installation - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - Removal and Installation - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) Connector C1551B Details - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) Connector C1551B Location Illustration - 2018 Edge Workshop Manual.jpg

You may input your Edge's VIN into the factory FordParts.com site to determine which Vapor Canister is appropriate for your vehicle, and/or contact them via telephone, or inquire at your local dealership Parts counter, or via your preferred online parts seller ...

Parts.Ford.Com Fuel Vapor Canister 1.jpg

Parts.Ford.Com Fuel Vapor Canister 2.jpg

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

Hello all, hope I'm posting in the right forum here.  I'm wanting to know where I can locate individual retainer clips for my 2013 Ford edge limited urge valve and connector hose that apparently mechanic shop failed to put on when replacing my purge valve. Dealership said I have to buy the whole house assembly for $96.  I just need two plastic clips!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lbeavin said:

Hello all, hope I'm posting in the right forum here.  I'm wanting to know where I can locate individual retainer clips for my 2013 Ford edge limited urge valve and connector hose that apparently mechanic shop failed to put on when replacing my purge valve. Dealership said I have to buy the whole house assembly for $96.  I just need two plastic clips!

I've broken one of these clips and got a replacement from www.oreillyauto.com 

They don't always have these on the shelf, but they got it in the same day for me - Just let them know the size and they'll order.

Dorman OE Solutions Fuel Line Retaining Clip, New Style, Black | 9696916 | Pep Boys

3/8 In. Fuel Line Retaining Clips 800-004: Advance Auto Parts

Amazon.com: Dorman 800-041 Universal Fuel Line Retainer - 5/8 In. Compatible with Select Models, 2 Pack : Automotive

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

This is my first post, I have a problem that is driving me crazy since 3 months, I have a 3.5L edge, whenever I put petrol I put petrol it stalls and takes very long to ignite again, it takes like 4-5 times turning the key to start and then becomes crazy RPM above 3 then stalls again.

Once driven it becomes stable but engine light in the dashboard turns on then after a couple of days it comes normal.

I think that there is a back pressure in the fuel rail or something is releasing the fuel pump pressure in the tank, I am planning to change the whole fuel pump which will cost around 1000$ but I'm afraid it might be not the problem and I just flush 1K in the toilet.

Any ideas ?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, HMagdi said:

Hey Guys,

This is my first post, I have a problem that is driving me crazy since 3 months, I have a 3.5L edge, whenever I put petrol I put petrol it stalls and takes very long to ignite again, it takes like 4-5 times turning the key to start and then becomes crazy RPM above 3 then stalls again.

Once driven it becomes stable but engine light in the dashboard turns on then after a couple of days it comes normal.

I think that there is a back pressure in the fuel rail or something is releasing the fuel pump pressure in the tank, I am planning to change the whole fuel pump which will cost around 1000$ but I'm afraid it might be not the problem and I just flush 1K in the toilet.

Any ideas ?

Get the error codes read and post them here.