Ford Active Noise Control

Whenever I turn on the air-con and/or heated/cooled seats in my 2018 Edge the Ford Active Noise Control (https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/research/technology/comfort-and-convenience/active-noise-control)  comes on, filling the car with white noise. Turn them off, and it stops. Turn the air-con or seats back on and it starts again.

Is this normal, or does it require a trip to the dealer's workshop?

Any comments/suggestions welcome please.

I don't get that noise in my 2016 Sport. I remember reading of a member or two who had some issues due to the Active Noise Control (ANC) and the solution was a software update to a module. Maybe this also applies to this noise too.

Edit: Found this:

SSM 48344 - 2017-2018 Edge - Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) - Poor Speaker Quality And/Or Low Frequency Bass Noise From All Speakers Some 2017-2018 Edge vehicles may exhibit poor sound quality and/or a low frequency bass noise from all speakers. This may be due to software level FT4T-14C656-AE in the digital signal processing (DSP) module. To correct the condition, reprogram the DSP module with the latest level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming use causal part 18B849 and labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Edited by omar302
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, handfiler said:

I'm not sure if it's normal but I hear it too under those same conditions. ?‍♂️

Really? That's strange though don't you think?

I wonder why Ford thinks we need white noise when we put one of the heated seats on.

Edited by niceonept

6 hours ago, omar302 said:

I don't get that noise in my 2016 Sport. I remember reading of a member or two who had some issues due to the Active Noise Control (ANC) and the solution was a software update to a module. Maybe this also applies to this noise too.

Edit: Found this:

Thanks Omar. It's definitely not a low frequency noise though. It's a very annoying white noise as demonstrated by handfiler. In fact it's that annoying it makes me not want to use the A/C or heated seats!

All I remember is hearing the fans in the seats when on cool.  Fan noise is very easy to hear and noticeable.  Will be listening later today to see if there is some white noise also.

Took the car to town today, tried the heated seats, turned on ac while sitting stopped, I can not detect any extra sound they are both very quite when a/c fan is not turned up. Turned on cooled sets also at a stop and definite fan noise at the seat backs.  Fan noise not noticeable while moving.

Edited by dajo2012
went for a drive

1 hour ago, niceonept said:

There are fans in the seats?

If you have cooled & heated seats, then there are fans in the seats.

2 fans per seat, one at the bottom and the other inside the seat back. When the cooling or heating is on max (3 LEDs) the noise is easily heard. For me it's clear as fan noise, but others might think of them as white noise.

To test if the noise is really from the ANC, open a door to the first latch. If the vehicle detects a open door the ANC will turn off.

• Thanks 2

On 10/25/2021 at 2:01 PM, omar302 said:

If you have cooled & heated seats, then there are fans in the seats.

2 fans per seat, one at the bottom and the other inside the seat back. When the cooling or heating is on max (3 LEDs) the noise is easily heard. For me it's clear as fan noise, but others might think of them as white noise.

To test if the noise is really from the ANC, open a door to the first latch. If the vehicle detects a open door the ANC will turn off.

Thanks. It's definitely white noise coming from the rear of the car, rather than an underseat fan - most noticeably from the rear speakers mounted on the rear pillars. I tried the "door slightly open" test you mentioned but the white noise doesn't stop when you do that - just an annoying chime that the door is ajar!