Rear Wiper Delete

VanDookie54

3 hours ago, VanDookie54 said:

I don't use it, have no need for it and think the car would look much better without it.  I am talking about removing it and plugging the hole in the glass.  Did it on the Focus ST, never missed it. 

Gosh - where do you live?

Somewhere it hardly ever rains and the roads don't get wet?

12 hours ago, niceonept said:

Gosh - where do you live?

Somewhere it hardly ever rains and the roads don't get wet?

South Ga/Ala.  It rains, it pours.. roads flood.  Learned to drive 50 years ago when wipers on the windshield were "iffy" (that was also when the hi-beam dimmer switch was on the floorboard and you dimmed the lights with your left foot... I wish it were still there).  Also RainX works wonders and I can see just fine.  Tend to look ahead more when driving anyway. 

• Like 1

This guy did it on an Explorer. Should be good guidance. But, I'd recommend keeping all the parts as it will probably hurt the resale. 

He used a wiper delete plug for a civic.

NICECNC Rear Wiper Delete Kit Block Off Plug Cap Compatible with Civic Si 2002-2005,Civic Hatchback 1992-1995

Window butt Plug:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQKGD57/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_MRY91CEPN17PEPA8TA86

Article:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/rear-wiper-delete.489685/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

This guy did it on an Explorer. Should be good guidance. But, I'd recommend keeping all the parts as it will probably hurt the resale. 

He used a wiper delete plug for a civic.

NICECNC Rear Wiper Delete Kit Block Off Plug Cap Compatible with Civic Si 2002-2005,Civic Hatchback 1992-1995

Window butt Plug:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQKGD57/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_MRY91CEPN17PEPA8TA86

Article:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/rear-wiper-delete.489685/

Thanks a lot.  I'll give that a try, hopefully motors are similar.  

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

Rear Wiper Delete Kit, Rear Wiper Delete Kit Car Waterproof Block Off Plug Cap for Rear Tailgate Wiper Arm ABS Black 37mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H1XV59B/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XKQF6JBJBF35SPZS0J7E

Universal, 37mm & 46 mm plugs. ~$10

Thanks.  Gonna check to see if some FMC products use same rear wiper motor assembly.  Think that may be the case and if so, the same one I used for the Focus might work on the Edge. Will post findings.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tag @onyxbfly

I plugged it, as I have every car that I have owned with a rear wiper. I didn’t want to play with buying the wrong plug so I went DIY with some plexiglass. Removed wiper, glued and sealed a square piece of glass with some sealant on the inside. Cut another piece the size of hole. Filled it again and then stuck a quarter in it for fun. Then put a piece of vinyl over that.

here’s a video where you can see it

4629EDE7-D340-44ED-9FBD-4517C633F3AB.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks good!  never needed one on sedans as they don't come with one lol. but i do drive in as much of a "360" mode as possible as it makes traffic motion more predictable. plus activating the rear wiper/washer occasionally lets the driver behind me know i am watching them lol.  nobody thinks twice about a rear cam watching them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

Thanks for the tag @onyxbfly

I plugged it, as I have every car that I have owned with a rear wiper. I didn’t want to play with buying the wrong plug so I went DIY with some plexiglass. Removed wiper, glued and sealed a square piece of glass with some sealant on the inside. Cut another piece the size of hole. Filled it again and then stuck a quarter in it for fun. Then put a piece of vinyl over that.

4629EDE7-D340-44ED-9FBD-4517C633F3AB.jpeg

Looks like you did a really neat job there. It certainly changes the rear appearance and looks a lot more tidy.

However the impracticalities of not having a rear wiper far outweigh that in my opinion - it's essential here nearly the whole year through.

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 12:26 AM, enigma-2 said:

Did you delete the washer as well? (Disconnect the hose to the rear at the pump)?

I plugged it, I also dont use the washer fluid. In my 7 years I’ve never added washer fluid to the car. The dealer has prob topped it off but it has not been to one in 4 years.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:37 PM, handfiler said:

Aesthetics - 10/10

Functionality - Well......looks good though.

The rear glass is still perfectly functional. I’ve never had any visibility issues looking in my rear view and not being able to see. Does look good tho

DC3CF32A-5387-46EC-A1E5-502B547416C6.jpeg