Solar BA9 battery Tester

handfiler

Just received it this morning from Amazon. It can test AGMF, AGMS, Conventional, Gel and Deep Cycle batteries. It also does starting and charging system tests.

I tested it out on my Mustang which has the original 11+ year old battery rated at 590 CCA. It tested at 558 CCA (OK)

Then I gave it a try on the Nautilus which has a 800 CCA rating. It tested at 839 CCA (OK).

With 3 cars and a motorcycle I figured its a good investmet at $55.

SOLAR Digital 12V Battery and System Tester

A.jpg

B.jpg

• Like 3

I recently bought one very similar, which also has the same functions.

With two cars, motorcycle and ride-on lawnmower, its handy - yes, we could take it to Autozone, but I prefer the convenience having this.

My 2017 Sport never had a slow crank, and the only thing I did notice was that the time on ACC had got a lot shorter before the warning to start the engine or cut the power, so it got a new battery one size larger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z67MMGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_7799.JPG

IMG_7800.JPG

IMG_7801.JPG

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 3

I have this model as well. You can also test your charging system using this equipment. If memory serves (been awhile) you connect it, switch to charging system testing and start your engine. 

I'm curious as to why your getting 839 CCA on a battery rated as 800 CCA. I've never seen a battery showing a higher charge than its rating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I have this model as well. You can also test your charging system using this equipment. If memory serves (been awhile) you connect it, switch to charging system testing and start your engine. 

I'm curious as to why your getting 839 CCA on a battery rated as 800 CCA. I've never seen a battery showing a higher charge than its rating. 

It's less than 5% over the rating so well within manufacturing tolerances. The Mustang battery as old as it is is only 5% under spec. I think it's fair to say that low usage, favourable climate conditions and a maintenance charger are key to it's longevity.

• Like 1

I'm getting a new Ford battery in my wife's car next week. She drives a Sebring Convertible, where you actually have the disassemble part of the car and use "special tools" (according to Sam's Club who refused to install a new battery) to get to the battery. (Real pita, have to pull off a wheel and inner fender).

Anyway, seen you are using a Motorcraft AGM battery. I might consider going this route as its such a pain to change. Care to share a ballpark as what it costs? Her car takes a group 75, 650 CCA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I'm getting a new Ford battery in my wife's car next week. She drives a Sebring Convertible, where you actually have the disassemble part of the car and use "special tools" (according to Sam's Club who refused to install a new battery) to get to the battery. (Real pita, have to pull off a wheel and inner fender).

Anyway, seen you are using a Motorcraft AGM battery. I might consider going this route as its such a pain to change. Care to share a ballpark as what it costs? Her car takes a group 75, 650 CCA.

It's the original battery. No idea what the replacement cost is.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 4:25 PM, enigma-2 said:

Understood. Just never seen a battery at or near its 'as manufactured' rating.

Thinking you may have an 850 CCA rated battery installed. But I'm only guessing.

odyssey will always test about 20% higher than rated.  using virgin lead helps a lot.  non-virgin lead based agm batteries may start off 10% higher but wont hold over the longterm.  just my experience.

• Like 3

so I tested my battery again today because its been sounded pretty weak on start up, and the Solar tester result came back at 290CCA.. so its battery time i guess..

interestingly, the start test showed a low of over 10.4 volts which i would think was fine..

charging voltage of just over 15V seems a bit too high to me but what do I know

Now i need to find that chart that shows what batteries fit so i can find one

18 hours ago, Cerberus said:

so I tested my battery again today because its been sounded pretty weak on start up, and the Solar tester result came back at 290CCA.. so its battery time i guess..

interestingly, the start test showed a low of over 10.4 volts which i would think was fine..

charging voltage of just over 15V seems a bit too high to me but what do I know

Now i need to find that chart that shows what batteries fit so i can find one

Did you try cleaning the terminals and charging the battery?

I have an Exide 36R from 11/17 in my Edge which I test every week with my Topdon and it is always 100% SOH and 98% SOC. It might be because I make a 330 mile round trip almost every week

40 minutes ago, EddieHudson said:

Did you try cleaning the terminals and charging the battery?

I have an Exide 36R from 11/17 in my Edge which I test every week with my Topdon and it is always 100% SOH and 98% SOC. It might be because I make a 330 mile round trip almost every week

No, I didn't even think about it. 

I drive about an hour a day so it has plenty of opportunity for charging. 

I did butter up the terminals of the new battery with grease to retard any oxidation. 

The old battery said FoMoCo on it, and battery age was over 2000 days.. so I figure it was due. Plus this past summer I killed it dead by leaving the push button ignition on and the fan running accidentally.  Deeply dead. It took power back, but it hurt it.