2008 AWD Limited with PTU leak ?

kdd01

Been having a burning smell lately, 10k miles on Edge now and just had oil changed so thought they spilled some. Parked on corner of driveway so I could try and fit under the Edge ( almost got stuck under there ) to check it out and oil filter and drain plug are ok. Found it wet near center of vehicle by transfer case cover and is probably dripping on exhaust y pipe there. Will post back dealer finding but after reading up on some PTU posts and some google hits with photo's, it is right in that area. After the mechanical problems with my two F150's, I can say I am a bit disappointed with these new Ford's. Also, would have been great if dealer noticed these drips when changing the oil last Wednesday since it is not that far from the oil drain plug and the underside of the vehicle is still brand new looking. I could see it immediately. :rant:

• 1 month later...
At 12k now, seal replaced last time, but is now leaking again and burning smell is back. The 'new' part is on back order. Hopefully it will work this time, whenever the part is available. Leak is not that bad that I cannot drive it till then, I hope..

I am having the same issue, today my Ford dealer is at attempt #3. They did a new pto seal last week, they said it was a new style and was shocked that it was leaking again. The service manager was telling me this is a huge issue for Ford. I am not sure how they will resolve if it keeps happening. It's a pain in the ass, just want it fixed. What have they been telling you?

They are ordering some 'kit' that has a new seal and a reflector to keep the fluid off the exhaust Y-pipe. Found another thread in the Maintenance, TSB's and Recall section ( titled 'burning smell' ), seems guys have been dealing with this for 1 year now and are reporting even this latest seal is junk and not working so the reflector will at least keep the vehicle from catching fire when the 'new' design seal leaks again. Someone also mentioned a new PTU design, I guess that will be my #3 attempt, maybe that's what you'll get this time. If you can, post back with part number from service invoice, will do the same here..

good luck

At 12k now, seal replaced last time, but is now leaking again and burning smell is back. The 'new' part is on back order. Hopefully it will work this time, whenever the part is available. Leak is not that bad that I cannot drive it till then, I hope..

good luck had my back five times not working still leaking

They are ordering some 'kit' that has a new seal and a reflector to keep the fluid off the exhaust Y-pipe. Found another thread in the Maintenance, TSB's and Recall section ( titled 'burning smell' ), seems guys have been dealing with this for 1 year now and are reporting even this latest seal is junk and not working so the reflector will at least keep the vehicle from catching fire when the 'new' design seal leaks again. Someone also mentioned a new PTU design, I guess that will be my #3 attempt, maybe that's what you'll get this time. If you can, post back with part number from service invoice, will do the same here..

good luck

I had the new update seal kit put on 1/19/09 pick the car up at 12.30pm return it at 2.30pm with the seal leaking after 20 miles

• 3 weeks later...
What part number was the new kit? I am scheduled for service on Monday. On my fourth fix. thanks.

Here are my two trips and what was done. The 1/30/09 below was supposed to be the latest seal kit as of this date.

12/9/08 : Miles 10,841 - PTU Seal Leak - Part # 7E5Z*7275*D

Install seals and deflector, retest ok.

1/30/09 : Miles 13,328 - PTU Seal Leak - Part # 8T4Z*7275*A Kit

Been having a burning smell lately, 10k miles on Edge now and just had oil changed so thought they spilled some. Parked on corner of driveway so I could try and fit under the Edge ( almost got stuck under there ) to check it out and oil filter and drain plug are ok. Found it wet near center of vehicle by transfer case cover and is probably dripping on exhaust y pipe there. Will post back dealer finding but after reading up on some PTU posts and some google hits with photo's, it is right in that area. After the mechanical problems with my two F150's, I can say I am a bit disappointed with these new Ford's. Also, would have been great if dealer noticed these drips when changing the oil last Wednesday since it is not that far from the oil drain plug and the underside of the vehicle is still brand new looking. I could see it immediately. :rant:

• 7 months later...

I've had the same running problem for the year and a half I've owned my Edge. The seal was replaced twice and still leaked. After the second seal was installed and leaked Ford instructed the dealer to replace the PTU. The was fine for awhile and then the seal leaked again. It was replaced again and I sitll get the smell ocassionally. This is either a major design flaw by Ford of the dealer is incorrectly installing the replacement seals. Very frustrating.

• 1 month later...
I've had the same running problem for the year and a half I've owned my Edge. The seal was replaced twice and still leaked. After the second seal was installed and leaked Ford instructed the dealer to replace the PTU. The was fine for awhile and then the seal leaked again. It was replaced again and I sitll get the smell ocassionally. This is either a major design flaw by Ford of the dealer is incorrectly installing the replacement seals. Very frustrating.

When in F/awd mode ALL driveline, drivetrain, components are under an unusual level of mechanical stress. This is especailly true for thse new F/awd Ford systems that automatically engage the rear drive with acceleration even on highly TRACTIVE surfaces.Therefore I would not find it out of the ordinary for the PTU to be overheating to the level that the lubricant is close to boiling and therefore "blowing out" the seals. Someone might want to try disabling (remove a fuse..??) the rear drive coupling clutch after a new seal is installed to see if that extends the seal life.

Were I one of the Ford engineers I would seriously consider revising the system such that the rear drive only engages automatically (other than actual wheelspin/slip) when its raining or if the OAT is below 35F. It seems rather stupid to me to force the system endure the driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing when operating on a highly tractive surface.

IT senses the amount of torque, not necessarily wheel spin. The objective is to put the power and/or decrease the power to the wheels before they lose traction. Some on here are stating that the fluid in the PTU will boil causing the seal to give out......this does not make any sense because it seems that this issue rears it's ugly head in the cold winter months.....wouldn't the fluid tend to get hotter and not cool as rapidly in hot weather?

IT senses the amount of torque, not necessarily wheel spin. The objective is to put the power and/or decrease the power to the wheels before they lose traction. Some on here are stating that the fluid in the PTU will boil causing the seal to give out......this does not make any sense because it seems that this issue rears it's ugly head in the cold winter months.....wouldn't the fluid tend to get hotter and not cool as rapidly in hot weather?

No, there is NOTHING that senses the level of torque. The system PRE-EMPTIVELY apportions engine torque to the rear when accelerating from a stop or from a low speed on the presumption, correct presumption, that that is the circumstance wherein front wheel traction would otherwise most likely, potentially, be lost. Otherwise the only time the rear drive is engaged is AFTER front wheelspin/slip is detected. Seems somewhat needless to me because according to the literature it is at that same point that TC activates, dethrottling the engine and moderately braking the front wheels in order to sustain engine torque at a reasonably high level.

It would seem better to me to just simply engage the rear drive first on the chance that alone would alleviate the front wheelspin/slip.

But then this is a rather DANGEROUS FWD at that point so I guess all available meaures to QUICKLY alleviate the danger might be appropriate.

"...this does not make any sense.."

Actually it does. It is during the winter months that the rear drive is likely be be "used" more often. It also may well be that the OAT sensor signal is used to dictate how high the rear drive coupling is commanded. Given this evolutionary design history, and FAILURE history, of this F/awd system I would not find it surprising that the "standard" (non-wheelslip/spin) rear drive coupling coefficient is llower in the summertime than in the winter.

Note that the canadian owners seem to dominate the failure "column". Maybe different firmware north of the border, more "robust" F/awd operation..??

Edited by wwest

• 1 month later...

Looks like I might be a new victim of the PTU leak. Been noticing a burning smell for a few weeks but wasn't sure if it was me or another car around me. Last few nights I have been at stop lights alone and smell it so I know it's me now. Made it to 27K.

Question for those that might know. Is the fluid transmission fluid or is there a special fluid for it and is there a way to check the level?

Edited by jpeckinp

Apparently it is a completely sealed unit and one cannot check the fluid level. My 2008 AWD Ltd is scheduled to get the seal replaced WHEN they can get the seal and bits. Apparently Ford has generated an Engineering solution. Will see.

I haven't scheduled mine yet. I guess I should this week.

Were I on the Ford design engineering team I night well design the F/awd firmware such that the colder it gets outside the more pre-emptively, higher level, more pro-longed, the rear drive would be engaged. Ford does the inverse of this with the FEH, as the OAT declines to freezing and below a lower and lower level of regenerative braking is used.

"...wouldn't the fluid tend to get hotter..??

Consider the source. It is the additional stress of torque coupling to the rear driveline that is the primary source of heat within the PTO case. The lubricating fluid is the medium through which that heat is then conveyed to the interior PTO case surfaces. Looking back up that "chain" does the heating of the ring, pinion, and bearings lessen substantially if the case exterior is at 32F vs 85F. Hint: The rear drive is almost NEVER engaged when there is a substantial level of cooling air flowing past due to roadspeed.

Were I on the Ford design engineering team I night well design the F/awd firmware such that the colder it gets outside the more pre-emptively, higher level, more pro-longed, the rear drive would be engaged. Ford does the inverse of this with the FEH, as the OAT declines to freezing and below a lower and lower level of regenerative braking is used.

"...wouldn't the fluid tend to get hotter..??

Consider the source. It is the additional stress of torque coupling to the rear driveline that is the primary source of heat within the PTO case. The lubricating fluid is the medium through which that heat is then conveyed to the interior PTO case surfaces. Looking back up that "chain" does the heating of the ring, pinion, and bearings lessen substantially if the case exterior is at 32F vs 85F. Hint: The rear drive is almost NEVER engaged when there is a substantial level of cooling air flowing past due to roadspeed.

Blah, blah, blah.........