Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133 & TSB 22-2229

Ronald S Katz

On 6/26/2022 at 8:25 AM, Pam LCB said:

I am currently having the exact same issue with the same model and year.  I’m curious what was the solution?

10 hours ago, Pam LCB said:

I don’t have an Eco boost engine.  The water pump has been suggested, I’m more inclined to think computer or drive train related. Putting the car in neutral will bring the temp gauge down to normal.  It’s definitely a head scratcher 

You posted in the "2.0L EcoBoost" section.

So what model and year do you have.

What are the issues you're having and what have you looked at?

• 4 weeks later...

Add another one to the list.  2016, just turned 70K miles, and thankfully got the Carmax Maxcare warranty.  Maintained to a tee like all my cars.  Had a rough idle, and then a day later a CEL.  Opened the hood and was astounded to find the coolant resevoir almost empty.  Pulled codes and got the P301, then looked on here and knew I had an issue. 

Must have started pretty quickly - I always eyeball the coolant tanks when checking oil, etc under the hood.  It's been at the Ford dealer for 8 days, still waiting for the Maxcare warranty inspector to go visit and confirm it's toast (Dealer said they have to do this all the time).  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 4:11 PM, Jhensley1607 said:

Add another one to the list.  2016, just turned 70K miles, and thankfully got the Carmax Maxcare warranty.  Maintained to a tee like all my cars.  Had a rough idle, and then a day later a CEL.  Opened the hood and was astounded to find the coolant resevoir almost empty.  Pulled codes and got the P301, then looked on here and knew I had an issue. 

Must have started pretty quickly - I always eyeball the coolant tanks when checking oil, etc under the hood.  It's been at the Ford dealer for 8 days, still waiting for the Maxcare warranty inspector to go visit and confirm it's toast (Dealer said they have to do this all the time).  

Update - was out of commission for 3 weeks at the Ford dealer but just got it back with a new 2022 Valencia produced long block.  Thanks to Carmax warranty was $300 instead of the $7,940 total on the 6 page bill.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My wife’s 2019 Ford Edge Ecoboost was sputtering during acceleration between the 1500 and 2300 RPM range in traffic.  I changed the spark plugs thinking that may help.  

Now, the car idles rough, acts like it wants to die, and smells like rotten eggs from the exhaust.  

Any suggestions??

1 hour ago, Edgy2019 said:

Thanks for the reply.   I don’t have any error codes or a CEL.  I just tried starting it again after leaving the battery unplugged for the day (not that it would help) and it smells like it’s running rich. 

What did you use to check for codes?

Don't need the CEL on for codes to be stored.

What's the mileage and is still under warranty?

That same thing happened to me with my 2015 Escape at about the same mileage. If you frequent a Ford dealer go there first or go where you bought the car if it was a Ford dealership. They get $ from Ford to use for good customers for things like this. Then call corporate and talk to them about this. We did both of these things and because we are long time Ford owners (they can look it up and see) they worked with us and we were only out of pocket $2500. Not $0 but a lot less than the original. I just bought a 2021 Edge, I hope this doesn’t happen again! ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2019 Edge SE that has been giving me problems since day one. I took it in 2 weeks after i bought it because it didnt sound good, they change some high pressure fuel thing, explained that is was still doing the same thing and getting worst. I have had several open tickets on it with manufacture and never anything was always told that it is normal. However here we are in 2022 and now its so bad that it keeps throwing a power train malfunction wrench on the dash and my ford pass app is telling me that my cars health check is all good and the fluid levels are all ok but they are not because the coolant level has been going down for months and there is no leak and now the car is idling high so it jerks when going form park to reverse and when driving the car shifts so crazy and the rpm gauge is moving up and down. Can anyone tell me what i should do i feel like im at my whits end with ford

Depending upon the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) involved in triggering the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), and whether your Edge is exhibiting any white smoke/steam out of the tailpipe which may be related to the low coolant condition, you may want to print this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and take it with you to the dealership...

Document download linkTSB 20-2234 - 2.0L EcoBoost - Illuminated MIL With Various DTCs, Low Coolant Level, White Smoke From Tailpipe, External Coolant Leak.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1004ron changed the title to 2019 Ford Edge SE Malfunction
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 10:38 AM, Edgy2019 said:

***UPDATE***

Well,  we replaced the motor with a new one from Ford.  $6,000 later, it’s still sputtering.   Looks like we are going to be checking the sensors on the transmission now.  Yay!!!!!

Who's we?

Are you checking the transmission sensors in response to the engine spluttering?

dabangsta: While the 2019 Edge 2.0L EcoBoost you're considering is not listed as affected in the TSB origins of this discussion thread, 2.0L EcoBoost water intrusion issues for 2019-2020 Edge and 2019-2020 Nautilus are addressed by TSB 20-2234, as mentioned in my prior exchange with cherylwilson91, whose extended warranty coverage is saving her from paying for a significant engine repair.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:31 PM, Haz said:

As you may already be aware, water intrusion issues on your 2017 Escape's 1.5L EcoBoost were addressed by TSB  22-2322, though as a result of its total-loss collision disposition, title branding may remove any warranty coverage potential if the vehicle is repaired and resold.

Document download linkTSB 22-2322 - 1.5L EcoBoost - Low Coolant, White Exhaust Smoke And-Or Illuminated MIL - Built On Or Before 10-Jun-2019 - 08-12 2022.pdf

Good luck!

Thank you! I did get the details for that other TSB, trying to get the build date for the vehicle (but that doesn't seem to matter since it was before 7/2020), and since it is within a thousand miles of the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty seeing if it has had the PCM update done. Since they are really not related (the internal "coolant intrusion" because of the way the cooling ports are designed, and the external EGR cooler), I was just wondering why the 2019 Edge was not part of the coolant intrusion when other models with the "same engine" have a part year 2019 affected in the TSB.

Buying a used few year old car I get to see what issues have arose, the block issue with coolant (I live in a high ambient temperature climate), flexplate issue, EGR cooler, first year for the 8 speed, etc...I want to be sure I get a vehicle that will last, I tend to drive cars well passed 250,000 miles if they don't get wrecked, so I gotta get it right or agonize for 15 years on where I went wrong.

The Escape was past the miles and grandfathered date for the CSP, but since it is totaled it is no longer my worry. However driving it putting miles on it wondering if it was going to happen wasn't a great experience. I took it in very early on for the PCM recalibration for the issue, it seems like all that did was make it circulate coolant longer after shutting it off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...