Rough Idle When Cold/P0301 Code - coolant intrusion - TSB 22-2133

Ronald S Katz

My 2015 Edge SE fwd 2.0 EB with 150k is needing an engine.  Began with a misfire on cylinder 1.  White Smoke on startup. And, sweet smell of coolant.  Local dealer checked it out. Pressure tested the coolant system and found it leaking into the #1 combustion chamber.  $6100 to replace the long block. Never ever had any issues with the Edge before this.  Love the vehicle.     Perfect size, power, handling, ride. The Escape forums note there is a TSB on this for the 2.0 EB used in the 15-18 escape, edge, fusion and a few Lincolns. Is says it is due to corrosion. Always followed Maintanence schedule.  Always at local dealer.  Very very disappointed.  Used to be a Toyota guy. But, decided to go AMERICAN (I know it is built in Canada).   Made the switch to fords a few years ago. Wife has a 16 explorer sport, we have an old F150 for doing things around the house. Her explorer is a little scary with the things we are finding. Funny, our 165k mile 2006 F150 4.6 4x4 is our most reliable vehicle. Hopefully, if you get the corrosion caused misfire your still in warranty. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a coolant leak in my 2017 Ford Edge ecoboost. I've taken it to my mechanic twice in the past three months for the issue. It took 3 months for the vehicle to completely drain the whole reservoir. The last time it drained the entire reservoir in two weeks. The mechanic said that they can't find any signs of a coolant leak with my vehicle. At this point I'm assuming it's leaking into the engine, but can't be positive.  

I wanted to see if anyone has had this issue before I take it in for a third time.

Thank you, 

If it is leaking into the engine, it is either being combusted (check coolant for combustion gases) or mixing into the oil.  The pistons will also look abnormally clean where the leak is.  If the leak is into the turbo, the intercooler will tell that tale.  In either case, exhaust fumes MAY also be a telltale.

Smaller displacement EBs had an issue with the cylinder heads microcracking.  Has not affected the 2.0 yet ...

I'll probably still keep driving it until it causes major concern. Thankfully it's still under powertrain and I purchased an extended warranty. This will be the fourth warranty repair I've needed and I've only owned the vehicle for 10 months. I'll definitely provide updates incase anyone has a similar situation. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the final results after my Ford Dealer had the vehicle for several days. The vehicle had both a coolant leak and engine misfire in cylinder 1 with code 301. The dealership ran a pressure test and everything checked out fine with the pressure test. The engine continued misfiring and they further inspected the ignition coils and spark plugs. Both the coils and spark plugs appeared perfectly normal for the miles on the vehicle (47k). 

The service manager ended up taking the vehicle out and driving around for an hour. He then brought the vehicle back and let it sit for several hours in the shop. The mechanic then inspected the plugs and sure enough there was coolant sitting in the cylinder. 

They now have to completely disassemble the engine and send photos to Ford. They said Ford makes the decision if I get a long block,short block or complete engine assembly. They said I probably won't have my car back for 6-8 weeks and this is the 12th engine they've replaced this month. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

• 1 month later...

FWIW, just had a #2 misfire on my 2016 2.0 liter. Dealer determined to be a turbo coolant leak into the cylinder. Replaced long block at 56K miles. This does seem to be a rare issue on the Edge 2.0, I hope so since I have a 2020 on order. I don't believe in extended warranties, but maybe I'll get on on the 2020 when it gets close. BTW, service was outstanding from the dealer.

• Sad 1

I'm seeing this problem mentioned here (of course) and other Edge forums more than you'd think.  Maybe it's because Gen2s are starting to pile on some mileage and the coolant intrusion into cylinder 2 is just making itself known.  This the 2L engine only.
Ford knows about the issue and issued this notification to dealers in August of this year: https://ford.oemdtc.com/4476/2-0l-ecoboost-coolant-in-cylinders-white-exhaust-smoke-and-or-illuminated-mil-2015-2019-ford-lincoln

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 4:18 AM, Gadgetjq said:

I'm seeing this problem mentioned here (of course) and other Edge forums more than you'd think.  Maybe it's because Gen2s are starting to pile on some mileage and the coolant intrusion into cylinder 2 is just making itself known.  This the 2L engine only.
Ford knows about the issue and issued this notification to dealers in August of this year: https://ford.oemdtc.com/4476/2-0l-ecoboost-coolant-in-cylinders-white-exhaust-smoke-and-or-illuminated-mil-2015-2019-ford-lincoln

Thanks so much for this info. What this does not say is what the failure was that put the coolant into the cylinder in the first place nor what the fix is. Do you know? Maybe I just missed it.... The service rep said turbo leaked the coolant. And yet, odd it is in only no. 2...

This is nuts.  

I've been having an issue with a P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) and been trying to track the source for weeks.  I started by replacing the spark plugs, that didn't fix it, so the replaced the ignition coil for #2, that worked for a couple days then the CEL came back on with same code.  Finally paid attention to the coolant tank which there was only a SMALL amount of coolant in the tank. 

Refilled it at the OReileys, checked the tank at my next stop and guess what, only a SMALL amount of coolant was in the reservoir... WTF??  I saw NO noticeable leaks anywhere... 

Engine has NOT been running hot, always normal temperature...

Funny enough my heater stopped working a couple days ago... It worked after filling the coolant reservoir...  I haven't been able to check the heat again after I saw the tank was low again... 

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!  I have a service appointment for Friday so guess I'll expect to shell out some $$$... ugh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm guessing your engine is the 2.0L Ecoboost.  As posted earlier in this thread a TSB was issued this past August advising of a coolant leak into the #2 cylinder for some 2017-2019 engines.  Hopefully you're still under warranty.  Here's the TSB to take to your dealer:  https://ford.oemdtc.com/4476/2-0l-ecoboost-coolant-in-cylinders-white-exhaust-smoke-and-or-illuminated-mil-2015-2019-ford-lincoln

2.0L EcoBoost – Coolant In Cylinders, White Exhaust Smoke And/Or Illuminated MIL – 2015-2019 Ford & Lincoln

Manufacturer Communication Number: TSB 19-2208

Summary

Some 2015-2018 Edge and 2017-2019 Fusion/MKZ/Escape/MKC vehicles equipped with a 2.0L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a low coolant level, white exhaust smoke and/or a runs rough condition with or without an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) may include P0300, P0301-P0304, P0316, P0217, P1285 and/or P1299 stored in powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to coolant intrusion into the cylinder. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the long block engine assembly.

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

I'm guessing your engine is the 2.0L Ecoboost.  A TSB was issued this past August advising of a coolant leak into the #2 cylinder for some 2017-2019 engines.  Hopefully you're still under warranty.  Here's the TSB to take to your dealer:  https://ford.oemdtc.com/4476/2-0l-ecoboost-coolant-in-cylinders-white-exhaust-smoke-and-or-illuminated-mil-2015-2019-ford-lincoln

Yep, it's a 2017 SEL 2.0 with 71000 miles on it.  So... Out of warranty.  Guess it's time to try and get an extended warranty if I can...  (And delete all my posts about this ? ) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skiutah1080 said:

Guess it's time to try and get an extended warranty if I can...

That ship has probably sailed.  Most (maybe all) extended warranties require you buy them before the factory warranty has expired.   If you can find one that 'is' available read it very carefully before buying.

Don't give up though.  Maybe your dealer can get Ford to work with you sharing the cost of a replacement.  If you're awash in good karma there might be a warranty extension available for this issue like there was for the earlier generation Edge's brake booster failures.

Edited by Gadgetjq
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hey all, so as a follow up to my post...  

Sure as S&%t I was getting a coolant leak into the engine.  I took it to two different mechanics and same result from each - basically an engine replacement to the tune of $5600.  They both confirmed the TSB related issue and showed me the mustard color oil (coolant mixing with the oil) and rough idle when starting up after a short duration.  

I ended up taking $2k less on a trade in than what I would have expected to get for a 2017 with 71k miles, so all in all I'm at least not dumping $5600 into it.  

In any case I've lost some faith in Ford for their follow up on this issue.  I was on the phone with them for a few HOURS going over options, and having them tell me in no uncertain terms I'm S.O.L.  

My "Ford Life" was relatively short lived, and that's unfortunate.  I really anticipated keeping my Edge for quite awhile.  

Edited by skiutah1080
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2016 that had the same symptoms. I had a P301 and a rough start on ignition that cleared. I diagnosed the issue myself prior to going to the dealer. The intake manifold gasket had been compromised somehow but the cylinder pressure was bleeding into the coolant system and when the car was off cylinder 1 would get flooded with coolant. On start up the ecm would identify a misfire. I removed the plug from that cylinder and saw liquid in there after letting it sit overnight. I took a sample out and put it in my refractometer. Sure enough it was ethelyne glycol btw it was red like motor craft. At that point it was clear. Called the dealer and had it scheduled for service. I had it gone for 2 weeks with a free loaner. Thankfully this was at 47xxx. Out of warrenty about $6k. Its a total teardown. Its been running great but im going to get rid of it before the 60k. Sucks because the vehicle handles great. The repair technician chocked it up to being an improperly torqued manifold but im reading about possible casting issues which means it will happen again. Not sure what to do.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have a 2017 Ford Edge SEL. There are multiple problems, listed below, that seems to all be related according to the posts I have been reading. Do I really have two separate issues or are they related in some kind of way. I was a jet engine mechanic and I work on all my cars and motorcycles from time to time. So diving into a motor is not an issue for me, but diving into the wrong area and wasting money is an issue lol. Retirement pay only goes so far. What should/could be my next move? I was going to try to find this coolant leak, but I'm guessing it's internal and will need to change some seals.

1. Rough idle on start. It almost seems like a hesitation.

2. #2 Misfire code (changed spark plugs and coil pack already), was about to do the injectors but thought I would check here first instead of chasing my tail and paying too much money.

3. Ran hot so I changed the thermostat (cause the heater started acting up and blowing cold air a few days before), but not much coolant in the system. I checked again today (2 weeks later) and low coolant again so I have a leak somewhere. I did look at the fill cap and it does have a milky like look to it. I checked the dipstick and looks great. 

4. Heater keeps going in and out (blows hot one minute and then cold the next). It's like Forrest Gump would say about a box of chocolates....never know what you're gonna get. lol

22 hours ago, Perblue said:

Sounds like a water pump, especially if it's a 3.5l, or head gasket causing your issues.

It is a 2.0. I changed the water pump because it overheated and had the heater issue just before overheating. I hope its not the head gasket lol. 

22 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

If it's the 2.0 Ecoboost 420/Cleveland engine, could be a classic 2-3 cylinder coolant intrusion.

Do you know how I can confirm this classic coolant intrusion? Ill do some research as well, but seeing if you had some suggestions to get a head start on confirming this. 

Thank yall for the info/replies.

• 5 months later...