Overheating at Motorway speed

Dave C

Good Morning folks.

I'm having an issue with my 2016 Edge Sport 2.0 Diesel. 99,000klm

The past couple of times I have been cruising at motorway speed (120kph) for a long period (over 1hr) and go to overtake a slower car and accelerate the temperature gauge goes up into the red. Bit of a loss of power too

Now this first happened before Christmas just after I bought the car and it went into limp mode. I pulled over on the motorway and restarted the car and it was back to normal.

The mechanic replaced the thermostat housing as he was told by ford that that was a common problem.

I hadn't driven it in those conditions again until last night.

Same issue again.

Temp gauge raises when over 120kph but when back to cruise again it comes back down to normal?

The timing belt and water pump have been changed before I got the car and that was all checked when it was in the garage a couple of weeks ago.

I'm baffled as I can drive around off the motorway with heavy acceleration and nothing happens, but light acceleration at the higher speed causes the problem.

Any Idea's?

Thanks

Dave

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

are the cooling fans coming on as designed when temps exceed set point?

In theory, fans are irrelevant at highway speeds if the vehicle has any aerodynamic flow, but admittedly some do not. 

Usually if it will not overheat at around-town speeds but does overheat on the highway, the fans are not the problem. 

• 1 month later...