2014 Ford Edge - Backup camera working intermittently

Hey there, I've seen a few other posts about this from several years ago, and nothing is quite the same situation. So my camera works about 5-10% of the time and all the other times I get the black screen and the "contact your dealership" message. On the rare occasion it works, it has had to sit in park for 5+ minutes, normally while I start the car early and get the kids outside and loaded up. Any info would help. Thanks!

As an update, I took the back panel off to look for a cut, loose, or corroded wire, and It looks brand new back there still. I also tried the "quick fix" of turning off and on the camera settings. My vehicle has never had any "vehicle not in park"  symptoms so I don't think its that either. 

Couple of thoughts on this.

1. Shifter malfunctioning. If for any reason the shifter is not triggeeing the backup signal, the BCM won't get the signal, the backup lights won't come on and neither will the camera. (Possible reason for being intermittent). 

Have someone shift into reverse while you stand behind the car and see if the backup lights come on. If they don’t, the shifter mechanism is suspect. If th we y do, have them check to see if the camera is working. Shift several times to see if you can get it to fail.

2. Have someone shift into reverse. With the camera malfunctioning, try tapping directly on the camera to see if it's the problem. (If its purely electrical this may not work). If it works again (even briefly) the camera is the problem.

3. It's also possible that there's corrosion inside the connector (the components can still look new on the outside, but corrosion can form inside the connector causing intermittent faults). This requires removing the harch cover panel again, unplug the camera connector and carefully check for corrosion. (This is more common than you think. I was avionics tech in the Marine airwing. In Vietnam, we ran into this all the time. Aircraft cannon plugs are watertight with seals,  but water still found its way into the connections. One of the first things we checked.

Had a "hanger queen" that we just couldn't find the problem. Called in the Boeing rep and he found a thin coating of corrosion on one pin. Nearly imposdible to see. He fixed it by pouring some Coca Cola into the connector. Worked).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Couple of thoughts on this.

1. Shifter malfunctioning. If for any reason the shifter is not triggeeing the backup signal, the BCM won't get the signal, the backup lights won't come on and neither will the camera. (Possible reason for being intermittent). 

Have someone shift into reverse while you stand behind the car and see if the backup lights come on. If they don’t, the shifter mechanism is suspect. If th we y do, have them check to see if the camera is working. Shift several times to see if you can get it to fail.

2. Have someone shift into reverse. With the camera malfunctioning, try tapping directly on the camera to see if it's the problem. (If its purely electrical this may not work). If it works again (even briefly) the camera is the problem.

3. It's also possible that there's corrosion inside the connector (the components can still look new on the outside, but corrosion can form inside the connector causing intermittent faults). This requires removing the harch cover panel again, unplug the camera connector and carefully check for corrosion. (This is more common than you think. I was avionics tech in the Marine airwing. In Vietnam, we ran into this all the time. Aircraft cannon plugs are watertight with seals,  but water still found its way into the connections. One of the first things we checked.

Had a "hanger queen" that we just couldn't find the problem. Called in the Boeing rep and he found a thin coating of corrosion on one pin. Nearly imposdible to see. He fixed it by pouring some Coca Cola into the connector. Worked).

Okay, We've tried the first two.

the shifter seems to be working great. and lights always come on. We tapped the camera while in reverse, didn't work. I'll take that panel off again, I looked inside all of the connectors, but I wasn't 100% sure which one was the specific one for the camera itself. I couldn't quite get to the camera without removing that additional backplate. Do you know which one it would be?

Thanks for the recommendations!

• 2 months later...

yes ..  I wonder how many camera problems are related to the connector as well. what with dirty conditions to high humidity and extreme temperatures. but checking the connector is almost the same as replacing the camera. mine has become intermittent so will do the checks you mentioned above.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just started getting a 5-20 second lag between backing up and then shifting into drive while the rear camera stays on.
Read about holding the radio power and ffd arrow buttons in for a few seconds. That helped but it still lags 3-5 seconds.

This is just what I am getting, haven't checked wiring.

Happy to have found this thread.  My 2011 Edge camera has mostly NOT worked for at least the last 5 years.  It would occasionally surprise us when it would come on.....  But thanks to the YouTube video posted by enigma-2 and the $60 camera I purchased on Amazon it now works again. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09H4M12TV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The video makes it simple.  The only issue I had was that my trusty 25 year old vice grips were not up to the task to remove the  6 studs,  even after a soaking with PB Blaster.  So as of now it's retired (recycled) and a run to the hardware store delayed the repair but got me a new replacement from Milwaukee.  It had no issue with the studs.

The only change I'd suggest to the video is when to test the replacement camera.  In the video, he tests it after he has reassembled everything but the back cover.  I suggest testing sooner,  as soon as you've popped the outside panel with the camera back in place and you're at the point where you can plug in the connectors.  It would just save some disassembly time in the event it didn't work for any reason

All in all though, an easy and very rewarding DIY!  Thanks to all for your contributions

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Another driver happy having found this thread. 2012 Limited with 78K Miles.
Camera was showing all the same symptoms of others that have failed.
Ordered one from EBAY $50 with crossed fingers. Seller double checked which Edge I had before shipping.
Followed the Youtube video posted above for the "no-cutting repair"... Exception,  I used the 11mm nuts you take off to remove the studs. Double nut the stud and remove the stud. Instead of vise grips.
My connections were clean. Got it all put back together. Results in attached picture. Picture good and guide lines work now.
Note:   I had some evidence that someone had removed the inside hatch trim before. One nut was loose and fell out along with a nice phillips screw driver bit as I removed the trim.

Thanks,

Ron in Amarillo TX.

2023-01-28 14.22.55-1.jpg

2023-01-28 14.22.55-1.jpg

Edited by SteelTX