Paint coming off wheels. Modified or lousy stock paint?

OahuEdge

I bought my '15 Sport used last weekend.  I can't tell if the black paint on the wheels is a modification or stock.  Either way, it's coming off.  I'd like to keep stock look, so should I try to match the factory black with a new coat of paint as best I can, or should I try removing it instead?

Thank you.

IMG_20220604_155458154.jpg

• Sad 1

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately your wheels are not black. Due to supply chain issues,  IIRC due to a natural disaster. Ford used different vendors throughout the 15-18 run. The lack of quality control and consistency led to various shades of grey.

If your wheels are perfect and do not require any repairs you have a few options. 

The cheapest alternative is plasti-dip.  Any imperfections will telegraph through the dip.

A medium grade solution would be painting. Medium grade but not medium price. If you're going to DIY, your cost will be materials. It is possible to do a very high quality job at home.  It's all in the prep.  If you want a professional job, you're going to have to pay professional prices.  Some will debate that paint is better than my next suggestion.

The best alternative would be to have your wheels powder coated. Powder coating is the best bang for your best bang for your buck. You can have any imperfections repaired.  Powder coating is more durable and can withstand more abuse than paint. In Philly powder cooting will run you $600 and up and that includes any wheel repair and removing and reinstalling your tires.  If your wheels are perfect I've seen prices as low as $450.

Almost every place that repairs wheels can do powder coating in house.  Although I would imagine that there are places that just repair/ restore and not powder coat.

If you search through the gallery you will see a few members with plasti-dip and powder coating.

HTH

• Like 2

Did you buy the wheel and tire package? If so that is a good candidate for wheel replacement. Or you might get some love at the dealership you purchased her from. If they have other edge sports on the lot they may let you switch them.

If that fails, you can get avery decent job done at home. It's all in the prep!

I was not aware of a wheel and tire package when I bought this.  I bought from a Toyota dealership so this was the only Edge on the lot.  I'm happy with it, but the wheels will drive me crazy looking like that.  I know I said in my first post that I want to keep a stock look but I am consider stripping the black paint and then just clear coating the aluminum.  I won't do anything right away some I have some time to think about it.

26 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

What makes you so sure that Ford didn't do a good job?

The photo in my original post, times 4, as well as comments from 2FAST4U and onyxbfly.

I come from a Ford family.   I don't mind taking jabs at the company where quality is job 1.

19 minutes ago, OahuEdge said:

The photo in my original post, times 4, as well as comments from 2FAST4U and onyxbfly.

I come from a Ford family.   I don't mind taking jabs at the company where quality is job 1.

All 4 on your vehicle would obviously have been subjected to the same, whatever that may be, prior to your ownership.

If Ford's wheel painting was a systemic issue, there would be more complaints on the forum than this single thread, so maybe @2FAST4U and @onyxbfly have something to support their assertions.

On 6/6/2022 at 8:04 PM, 1004ron said:

All 4 on your vehicle would obviously have been subjected to the same, whatever that may be, prior to your ownership.

If Ford's wheel painting was a systemic issue, there would be more complaints on the forum than this single thread, so maybe @2FAST4U and @onyxbfly have something to support their assertions.

Yes, you are correct, it looks like his paint is de-laminating. I'll do a deep dive on google. The dealer I purchased my car from informed me when I purchased my edge. Then again the dealer may have been mistaken.  Or if you happen to ever pass by a dealership with multiple 15-18 on their lot, you will see that the the paint tint/ shade does not match between model years.

Edited by onyxbfly