Spare Tire TPMS

EddieHudson

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand it. Buy a second set of what? I have 5 original Ford wheels with TPMS sensors. 4 on the car, 1 for the spare. I was wondering if I could train the system to recognize 5 wheels instead of 4. If I can't then I would have to do a total reset if I got a flat. It only takes a couple of minutes to make the light go off. 

Edited by 1004ron

According to manual, tire pressure is not read accurately until car is on and moving for a few minutes, meaning tires must be turning. A spare never turns while in storage. So even if you could register a fifth wheel, the 5th would never respond accurately. They sell tpms kits to add to cars, motorcycles, golf carts, rvs.... Most read accurately without movement. I was suggesting you may want to buy one of these after market addons, such as a MC since only 2 tires, put one of the sensors on the spare, and the portable screen/ reader could be kept anywhere in your car and you use it to check spare.

17 hours ago, MLTEdge said:

According to manual, tire pressure is not read accurately until car is on and moving for a few minutes, meaning tires must be turning. A spare never turns while in storage. So even if you could register a fifth wheel, the 5th would never respond accurately. They sell tpms kits to add to cars, motorcycles, golf carts, rvs.... Most read accurately without movement. I was suggesting you may want to buy one of these after market addons, such as a MC since only 2 tires, put one of the sensors on the spare, and the portable screen/ reader could be kept anywhere in your car and you use it to check spare.

Or just check it with a gauge twice a year. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  All I wanted to know is if it was possible to train 5 tires into the TPMS instead of 4. I'm not looking to monitor spare tire pressure while it is in the storage compartment. It looks like I'll put my full size spare on and train the TPMS. Then I'll replace the spare with the original and see if I have to do another retrain.

When I eventually get to it I'll post the results here. 

Edited by 1004ron

On 7/14/2022 at 4:04 PM, EddieHudson said:

Thanks for the reply but I don't understand it. Buy a second set of what? I have 5 original Ford wheels with TPMS sensors. 4 on the car, 1 for the spare. I was wondering if I could train the system to recognize 5 wheels instead of 4. If I can't then I would have to do a total reset if I got a flat. It only takes a couple of minutes to make the light go off. 

what is the reason for you wanting the system to read a fifth wheel? so you can monitor the spare while it's in the back? or are you worried about having to perform a manual reset after changing a tire due to a flat?

the car only has for sensors so it can't monitor the spare tire. would be cool if it could but alas.

if it's the latter, don't worry. the system will automatically read whatever tire is placed on the car. i have summer and winter tires and never had to reset anything. just drive a little distance and everything works.

i also carry a small tire compressor so i could top up the spare if needed. but checking it on a regular basis is still the best.

Edited by ben senise
typo
  • Like 2

I guess I didn't word my question correctly.

Will the TPMS light go out automatically when I change out a full size spare after getting a flat. I know I have to activate the spare by driving a bit. 

Ben says it will read the new tire without any changes. Thanks Ben, that's the answer I was looking for and I always carry a small compressor with me.

Haz I have the Ford Shop Manual (a paper copy) and didn't see the answer. Thanks for posting.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was reading this thread again and there was something that bothered me about this. When you train the wheels to the TPMS system, don't they register to a specific wheel position? Left front, right rear, etc. And if you registered a spare, wouldn't that get erased when you removed it to mount the primary tire?

Wouldnt you need to re-register the spares transmitter to that specific position again, when you switched to the spare?

I know when my dealer registered my car with a new wheel and sensor, he had to walk around to each wheel, in a specific order to get the registration right. I believe they have to reprogram the wheels after a tire rotation to tell the BCM where each of the wheels moved to.

Thats why you can only have four wheel registered at any time. If you put a spare on, which has a correct pressure transmitter, you would have to re-register the wheels again. Otherwise you'd get a warning light (because the wheel with the transmitter that's registered to that position is no longer sending information). 

Edited by enigma-2

Enigma,

That was basically my original question. my 2010 SE has the basic TPMS system (a light comes on when a tire has low pressure) I mounted a tire on my OEM wheel with OEM sensor but never got it balanced. It's been sitting in the barn for a couple of months. i should be rotating my tires soon and will put the new spare on to see if the light goes out when I drive without a reprogram.

Edited by 1004ron

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update;

I finally got around to getting my new spare balanced. 

1. mounted it on rear.

2. started car and no TPMS light

3. drove about 3 miles still no light

4. dropped pressure from 36 psi to 19 psi, drove about a mile, still no light

5. took off spare and replaced tire

Next time I'll program the spare and see what happens.

Edited by 1004ron