Check Charging System alert 2013 3.5L

jburd704

I have been having this alert come up for about the last month and it goes away after a bit. I checked the voltage while it was idling(14.1v) and the battery is a 1 year old Interstate AGM battery. I figured it was nothing since everything checked okay and we continued driving the vehicle. Last night my wife called broken down on the roadside and it wouldn’t crank back up. Left overnight and went back today and it cranked right up and drove home. Appreciate any help on this. 

Same issue on mine a while back. It worked fine for a while just the occasional chime to check charging system and then it became more frequent. Mechanic didn’t want to replace it because the alternator tested fine on diagnostics. I ended up saying I’d eat the cost even if it didn’t fix it. Replaced and the alert went away. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2022 at 11:31 AM, jburd704 said:

I have been having this alert come up for about the last month and it goes away after a bit. I checked the voltage while it was idling(14.1v) and the battery is a 1 year old Interstate AGM battery. I figured it was nothing since everything checked okay and we continued driving the vehicle. Last night my wife called broken down on the roadside and it wouldn’t crank back up. Left overnight and went back today and it cranked right up and drove home. Appreciate any help on this. 

Same issue, also breakdown. Dealer has been working on it for a month with no progress. 3 alternators, 1 pigtail, 1 PCM module. Ford corporate involved. 

Dealer cannot diagnose?

Check charging system warning light followed by battery light.

2013 Edge 3.5

Self test alternator 14.6v, battery good

Dealer replaced alternator 3 times

Dealer replacement of pigtail

Dealer replacement of PCM

NO SOLUTION, a month of repairs. 

Ford Customer Relations involved.

Any similar experiences with solution? 

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2022 at 5:47 PM, JoeB1951 said:

Same issue, also breakdown. Dealer has been working on it for a month with no progress. 3 alternators, 1 pigtail, 1 PCM module. Ford corporate involved. 

Dealer cannot diagnose?

Check charging system warning light followed by battery light.

2013 Edge 3.5

Self test alternator 14.6v, battery good

Dealer replaced alternator 3 times

Dealer replacement of pigtail

Dealer replacement of PCM

NO SOLUTION, a month of repairs. 

Ford Customer Relations involved.

Any similar experiences with solution? 

I have had this same issue and currently dealing with this now. We took it to Ford and unfortunately it has a bad BCM. I can’t get one of these anywhere as they are on back order. We replaced everything as well and still had the issue. We were able to figure it out by testing some of the fuses under the hood and speaking to a Ford mechanic. If anyone can find one that is compatible with my 2014 Edge SEL I would greatly appreciate it! 

Welcome to the Forum!

Document download links>

Body Control Module (BCM) - Diagnosis and Testing - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Body Control Module (BCM) - Removal and Installation - 2014 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

If your Edge is disabled and you need to get it back on the road, locating an A-graded used Body Control Module (BCM) from a local Salvage Yard at 25%-to-50% of the new part cost using the Car-Part.com search engine may be worthwhile...

image.png.765b15e6889f792e1e13aac195c31086.png

925424245_2014Edge-BodyControlModule(BCM)-FordParts.thumb.jpg.c31fd72e77a14a7f60ec91e00c1929b2.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1