2008 Ford Edge Limited rim help

Chilli34

I need some help trying to find out what these specific rims are. Currently the rims I have attached a picture of are on the vehicle. These are the rims that were on there when I bought it. It's a 2008 Ford edge limited awd which normally come with 18inch rims stock. However, these specific ones are 20inch and I cannot figure out what they are. I bought rims and tires from a shop saying they came off a limited 2008, but once they tried to mount them the brakes were too large to fit inside the rim so would require spacers. Can anyone help me with this issue?

• 3 weeks later...

The plastic chrome wheel applique is not sold separately from the aluminum rim assembly...

From: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/wheels-and-tires/wheel-parts/wheel-12970771-1

image.thumb.png.e59ed742b3b2573a95aabd24e5a911fe.png

If you'd consider a used wheel, Car-Part.com's search feature allows designating a region, state, or major city and a zip code to provide distance-to-seller sorting of salvage vehicles with the desired Edge/MKX wheels...

image.png.e8eb0c0e3b98088f457d9a80b54fdd74.png

Good luck!

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 1:58 PM, Victor said:

Does anybody know where I can buy the chrome cadding for the 20" rim? 

As for replacing just to chrome covers, there was some discussion here a few years ago. One or two had doen it. However i haven't seen these replacment covers offered for some time. (And they were a tad expensive). Removing the existing covers was the real problem. They were glued on and a bitch to pry off. (There was a YouTube video showing how to do this. Lost the link however).

If your problem is road rash, there's a couple of repairs you can do that work well.

1. Cover the rash areas with pieces of chrome tape.

VViViD Gloss Silver Chrome Air-Release Vinyl Adhesive Tape Roll (1/2 Inch x 30ft) https://a.co/d/1mqjkKh

Ans 2. Spray the rash areas with chrome enamel (my choice). Use several light coats.

Krylon K01010A07 Premium Metallic Spray Paint Resembles Actual Plating, Original Chrome, 8 oz https://a.co/d/8HKjGaY

• 6 months later...

image.thumb.png.e59ed742b3b2573a95aabd24e5a911fe.png

It's a good question, I was concerned about such research 10 years ago, then no one answered me, but I had another reason. When installing tires in the store, I had to remove the chrome caps, the workers were amazed at this wheel design on Ford (as well as many other solutions, in particular, mounting TPMS sensors on the wheel rim using a metal LOL clamp, which Ford later refused). They informed me that they would not be able to install the tire on the wheel disc without damaging the plastic caps. I had no time to figure it out and unfortunately I decided to remove the caps. I did not expect that they are so tightly glued and the aluminum under the hood will be corrosive at the edges of the wheel . Next, I searched for the central cups of this wheel for a very long time, since the wheel bolts were open, and the old cups did not fit in size. These wheels were installed, as I understand it, on many Ford 2004-2009 cars such as the Lincoln MKX , Ford Expedition EL or something similar , they got on the Ford EDGE 2008 as a premium bonus in the Limited version .To be honest, I understand how tires are mounted on these wheels in the USA without damaging the edge of the plastic hood, if there is such a video that I would like to watch it.This is my story with these disks, although the appearance of the disks themselves is great, later I repainted the disks, i.e. I use them without caps. It is interesting to find out any experience and thoughts about these discs 20" ET 44 .

Edited by EDST777

your 2 best options are to remove the chrome cladding and paint the bare metal but you have to find well fitting caps, or new wheels entirely.

new chrome clad covers are available but hard to come by in the 20 inch size.

see mactfordedge videos on yt if you want to pursue the former.

https://www.youtube.com/@MACTFordEdge/search?query=chrome

an example of the latter

• Like 1

I have these on my 09 MKX, OEM. Have had three sets of new tires mounted +  tires repaired. No problems with plastic covers.

Also had new Motorcraft TPMS sensors installed on all four wheels + one reinstalled a second time after I bought a new wheel when a damn curb jumped up and ran out in front of my car. 

These plastic covers can be removed fairly easily, takes a couple of minutes.

WWWPerfA posted one of his videos, here's another on an easy way to remove, and there's a second followup on painting the aluminum rims:

I *think* the plastic replacement covers are no longer sold. At least I don't have a URL for the site.

When I needed a new wheel, my dealer priced it out, forget the price, think it was in the $600 range. Talked to the service manager and ended up getting it for in the $300's. OEM as far as I know. Huge mark ups on these rims, ask dealer to get at his discount. Never hurts to ask.